FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace18's 65 Coupe build thread.

jim h

Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Got some bad news today. My FFR wheels are B/O till Nov. I ended up canceling them and buying some F500 wheels and tires from American Muscle. I saw them in the new coupe book on one guys car. They looked good on it to me. Also saved a bunch of money. 1450.00 wheels, tires, lugs and locks. Free shipping too. I'll post pics when I get them in a few days, Still waiting on Whitby. I keep getting the same story the parts are coming soon. That was almost 2 months ago I ordered them. I guess God is testing my patience. LOL
    Tom, Sorry to hear about the wheels. My roadster should be here the end of next week, and I'm probably going to be in the same situation. Your build thread has been very informative for me, and the pictures are great. Keep up the good work! Jim

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I got some great news as of late. I sold my 818S and am getting to build another 818S for a customer. Unfortunately this means as soon as I get my wheels and tires, my Coupe build goes on the back burner somewhat. The money from the sale will allow me to finish everything on the coupe to completion. I am happy to do a customer build though. It has been a dream of mine to do 2-3 customer builds a year in my retirement. I will still post occasionally though not as often as I had been.
    Last edited by wallace18; 07-24-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got back today from selling my 818 in MA. Look what was waiting for me at home. I was very tired from the trip but had to put these on the coupe chassis. WOW! Now I can roll it around. I have a customer 818 build to do so the coupe will have to wait some and maybe get a little attention now and then.
    IMG_0504.JPGIMG_0505.JPGIMG_0506.JPGIMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0512.JPGIMG_0513.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 08-02-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Tom, glad to see things going smoothly for you. I'm very curious to see how your Daytona comes out. I'm bummed out it didn't work out for me to get down to see your 818 before it sold for you.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tom:

It's been a month since your last update. Any progress on the Coupe since then, or are you using all your time on the customer build?

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos C View Post
    Hey Tom:

It's been a month since your last update. Any progress on the Coupe since then, or are you using all your time on the customer build?

Carlos
    Unfortunately working on the customer car but also still waiting on Whitby for my power brake kit. I really do not understand what is taking so long. I am waiting on parts for both cars right now and I am a little frustrated to tell the truth. If I get the P/B kit soon I am putting the 818 away till parts come in and go back to work on my Coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well here is an update! Finally after several months Whitby is sending my P/B kit. The K818S build has come to a halt due to unforeseen parts delays. It is going to be put in storage till I have all the parts and my Coupe is in the paint shop. Both customer and I are on the same page with this. So here I am this day swapping out the kits so I can get back to my Coupe build. Look for post starting so on my progress on this build, I is nice to have such great customers as Mr. K. Thanks so much for being so understanding.

IMG_0673.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great! I did the same with the fan shroud...it works really well.
    It's just A Matter Of Time

Marc

FFR Coupe 434, 347ci, Power Brakes, SAI Mod, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Well here is an update! Finally after several months Whitby is sending my P/B kit. The K818S build has come to a halt due to unforeseen parts delays. It is going to be put in storage till I have all the parts and my Coupe is in the paint shop. Both customer and I are on the same page with this. So here I am this day swapping out the kits so I can get back to my Coupe build. Look for post starting so on my progress on this build, I is nice to have such great customers as Mr. K. Thanks so much for being so understanding.

IMG_0673.JPG
    After reading every page of your 818 build, I am extremely excited to see this one back on track! (Sorry customer!)

Post Thanks / Like
    subscribed! cant wait to see the build progress! hope to order a coupe one day!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to mount and run my A/C stuff today. After mounting the Evap.,Condenser and drier I ran hoses. I used some from the FFR kit as well as some I had left from a 33 kit I did. I made my own mounts for the Cond. I used bulkhead fittings for the lines. I ran the low side on the LS of the engine to the center of the car and the High side to the Pass. foot box. I am going to make my own switch panel for the console so I can have plenty of room for stuff. I like how the lines run and now have to get them crimped. Then I can install clamps and tidy every thing up. I am waiting on bulkhead fittings for the heater hoses. I must admit the 33 A/C is a much better unit IMO. I also clearance the dash and made sure the firewall was not hitting the Evap. unit. Will make a tight fit when all the air hoses are in though, LOL.

IMG_0674.JPGIMG_0675.JPGIMG_0676.JPGIMG_0677.JPGIMG_0678.JPGIMG_0679.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I made some heat shields for the foot boxes. Also finished up my E-Brk. Still waiting on Whitby stuff!! Arg!!!!!!!

IMG_0682.JPGIMG_0683.JPGIMG_0684.JPGIMG_0685.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I made some heat shields for the foot boxes. Also finished up my E-Brk. Still waiting on Whitby stuff!! Arg!!!!!!!

IMG_0682.JPGIMG_0683.JPGIMG_0684.JPGIMG_0685.JPG
    Those heat shields look great, and it makes everything look CLEAN (Third picture especially). Did you also sand in the pattern on them yourself?

Also, this might be a stupid question, but what does the sideways air cleaner do for you? Does it clear the hood better?

And finally, how much power do you think your 5.0 will be able to produce after everything you did to it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mjazzka View Post
    Those heat shields look great, and it makes everything look CLEAN (Third picture especially). Did you also sand in the pattern on them yourself?

Also, this might be a stupid question, but what does the sideways air cleaner do for you? Does it clear the hood better?

And finally, how much power do you think your 5.0 will be able to produce after everything you did to it?
    I just engine turned them on my drill press using a scuff pad. The air cleaner is just laying there for now. It will have to be modified later after hood is on. It will be turned 90 degrees then. I do not know how much but my best guess is north of 300 RWHP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sharp heat shields. make mine look crappy. A couple hints you might like: 1) I placed some heat resistant material on the back sides of the shields and they do a pretty good job, I think I used Koolmat. 2) CJ Pony Parts sells a blank base for that air cleaner allowing you to mount it in a more forward position to clear the firewall lip. All you have to do is cut a new carb hole in the blank plate in the appropriate place and drill a new hole in the upper plate for the carb stud. A photo exists on FFR website under events entitled Bill L graduates coupe #421. You'll have to scroll down quite a bit, I think it's on the third page.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    To form the heat shields, what did you use? Do you have a brake press? Also, after looking closely at your first picture there, it looks like there is a slight gap between the heat shield and the foot box. Did you put a spacer in between them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loeffler1 View Post
    Pretty sharp heat shields. make mine look crappy. A couple hints you might like: 1) I placed some heat resistant material on the back sides of the shields and they do a pretty good job, I think I used Koolmat. 2) CJ Pony Parts sells a blank base for that air cleaner allowing you to mount it in a more forward position to clear the firewall lip. All you have to do is cut a new carb hole in the blank plate in the appropriate place and drill a new hole in the upper plate for the carb stud. A photo exists on FFR website under events entitled Bill L graduates coupe #421. You'll have to scroll down quite a bit, I think it's on the third page.
    Thanks. I am going to cut the bottom so I can flip it around and reweld it to the proper place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mjazzka View Post
    To form the heat shields, what did you use? Do you have a brake press? Also, after looking closely at your first picture there, it looks like there is a slight gap between the heat shield and the foot box. Did you put a spacer in between them?
    I bought a combo brake/shear/roller from HF. I also used 1/2" aluminum tube spacers I cut from stock piece I got from Lowes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace
    on the heat shield spacers how did you attach the shields? Can't tell from your pics
    Thanks
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kkcalm5 View Post
    Wallace
    on the heat shield spacers how did you attach the shields? Can't tell from your pics
    Thanks
    Kevin
    I used 1/4"-20 S/S bolts, washers and lock nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff!
    Is that air filter on there sideways so that when you come drifting sideways at somebody they can read what took 'em down? LOL

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    After a 4 month wait finally the Whitby's Power brake kit came UPS. I wish I could be as happy with it as some of you have said. I have had a very bad time with Jeff. The kit came missing several parts and no explanation for why they are missing. I was lied to on the phone repeatedly on the delivery of my parts. I can not in good conscious recommend this vendor to anyone. I am very disappointed. I can only hope no one else has this experience with Whitby's. I realize several forum members recently touted how great Whitby's was for them. Just did not come out that way for me. I was very understanding and patient with Jeff but ended up on the short end of the stick each time. I felt very strongly that I had to let everyone know my dealings here. Maybe future customers will have it better. I will not be a customer in the future of Whitby's. With all that being said I will move on with my build.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace,

You have made your point very well without being a "trash mouth". That is much appreciated and is in line with what this forum believes in. I've had good luck with Whitby's but realize that no vendor is perfect. Thanks for your positive attitude "I will move on with my build."

I can't wait to see your finished coupe ... I know that it will be a beauty!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would show how I installed the Whitby P/B kit. I have changed up a few things and also added a hydraulic clutch to the mix. I used my left over wilwood master and a wildwood pull slave I got from Whitby. It is not to hard to do but you must modify the hole where the master cylinder for the donor kit goes. I used the wilwood front aluminum and modified it for the p/b kit. You have to cut part of the frame and install a altered brace to clear the booster. The kit has you drill and install 5/16" bolts. I tapped the brace to 3/8" and bolted in that way. It was 10x stiffer this way IMO. I modified the push rod to the master cylinder for the p/b kit so no spacers were needed. You must also mount the steering shaft bearing opposite from the FFR directions to clear the p/b booster. I mounted my clutch stuff inside and will have a access door to get to the fill bottle for the clutch. Here is some pics. I still have to run lines and get a flex line for the clutch slave. But I feel now I am back in the build mode. LOL.

IMG_0686.JPGIMG_0687.JPGIMG_0701.JPGIMG_0693.JPGIMG_0694.JPGIMG_0697.JPGIMG_0699.JPGIMG_0700.JPGIMG_0703.JPGIMG_0691.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I goofed up and snapped off the fitting in one of the front brake hose fittings. It was my fault trying to over tighten. I e-mailed Joe Scott at FFR to see if I could buy new ones or tell me where I could get them. He is sending me new ones in the mail right away that he had in his desk drawer. This is why I will be a FFR customer for life. Great products, great people and super service after the sale. Sure sometimes things get B/O but for the most part I think they do a great job. I just wanted to thank Joe and FFR for helping out a builder who goofed up! LOL.

IMG_0704.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    After completing my duties as a good husband and taking my lovely wife to St. Augustine for a few days for our anniversary, I finally got some work time in. I was able to finish up the front brake lines, crimp and install all the A/C lines, hook up the heater hoses, install the top firewall, battery and fuse panel. I highly suggest to install most of the A/C , heat stuff before installing the top firewall. It makes it so much easier IMO. I bought a A/C crimper from Tooltopia for a great price. Nice unit IMO. I also installed the gas pedal. I got all my pedals from Russ Thompson. He has some great stuff. I hope to get going on my rear brakes and wiring on Monday.

IMG_0717.JPGIMG_0706.JPGIMG_0707.JPGIMG_0708.JPGIMG_0709.JPGIMG_0711.JPGIMG_0712.JPGIMG_0713.JPGIMG_0714.JPGIMG_0715.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 09-27-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is pics of the pedals and crimper unit.
    IMG_0710.JPGIMG_0705.JPGIMG_0716.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool...Im taking the fam to St. Augustine in a week. I have to go down to the Naval Air Station to get laser eye surgery.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in St. Augustine a couple of months ago. A great city with a lot of history you can still physically see and enjoy.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to work on the Coupe the last 2 days some. I finished up the rear brake lines, installed the battery, main cut off switch and most of the wiring harness. I also installed the rear aluminum and made a custom center console part to hide the A/C some and house the A/C controls and radio stuff. Still lots of wiring mods to be done. I did get the engine to crank, spark to plugs, fuel pump running and rad fan run with both A/C and temp switch. I used Ron F dual relay setup for the fan. I had great luck with it on other cars I built. Also started to run some A/C vent hoses.

IMG_0720.JPGIMG_0721.JPGIMG_0722.JPGIMG_0723.JPGIMG_0724.JPGIMG_0725.JPGIMG_0726.JPGIMG_0727.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the placement of the cutoff switch close to the battery. I mounted my battery up front so my switch was also up front in the passenger footbox side. You are a better man than I getting that trunk floor in in one piece. I had to cut mine longitudinally in order to get it in!!
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loeffler1 View Post
    I like the placement of the cutoff switch close to the battery. I mounted my battery up front so my switch was also up front in the passenger footbox side. You are a better man than I getting that trunk floor in in one piece. I had to cut mine longitudinally in order to get it in!!
    I also made a small slice on the drivers side near the shock and roll bar. I should ask FFR how they do it without scratching the powder coat. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put a ratchet strap around the piece to bow it up. Then slide it in and release the strap. Did it several times and works great!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Or do what almost happened to me on my way home after I picked up my kit: Place your Coupe on a trailer, attach said trailer to your vehicle, tow aforementioned trailer with said vehicle on the highway at about 70 mph, and let mother nature do the work for you...

And mother nature didn't seem to care much that this seemingly tricky-to-remove panel was also secured with duct tape.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Put a ratchet strap around the piece to bow it up. Then slide it in and release the strap. Did it several times and works great!

John
    Very interesting but sneaky. To quote an old laugh in show. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have all the A/C, ignition and fan wiring working. I started to put in the Thermocoustic on the inside. I am going to get my dash cut in 2 so it will be easy to access wiring.
    IMG_0728.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I am mostly done with my thermocoustic on the interior. I did make the dash 2 piece and it will be easy to wire and work on for sure. I had to order some special stuff for my turn signals. I am doing something a little different and a shave door kit as well. I am using a motorcycle type turn signal module with a momentary 3 position toggle switch. here is some pics of what I got done so far. I will work hard on wiring this week.

IMG_0729.JPGIMG_0730.JPGIMG_0731.JPGIMG_0732.JPGIMG_0733.JPGIMG_0734.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I got it to start today!!! Still a lot of tuning to be done on the Proinjection III. But no leaks and no over heat. Good O/P and all is well. Sounds great IMO. I look forward to getting ready to go cart next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress Tom!
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds sweet!

Carlos

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast