Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace18's 65 Coupe build thread.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got some stuff done the last few days. I covered the console and dash with marine vinyl. I was able to wire my radio, A/C controls, Fog light switch and indicator light in the console. I am waiting on the correct wiper switch to go in the hole left in the console. I wired up the gauges, indicator lights, ignition switch, headlight switch, aux. fan switch, high /low beam switch and L/R turn signal switches. I am using the back off unit I got from Speedway. You can use just 2 small momentary switches for turn signal and 4-way functions. If both turn signal switches are pressed at the same time the 4-way blinks. Touch both again and the 4-way shuts off. If you touch either the left or right switch 1 sec the Turn signal flashes for 7 sec. If you hold it down 2 sec they flash 20 sec. If you hold down 4 sec. they flash 70 sec. No need for any flasher relays. It makes for an easy install and you do not have to cancel the Turn signal yourself after a turn. I should get my clutch master cylinder tomorrow afternoon. Maybe go cart by Friday or Saturday.

IMG_0741.JPGIMG_0744.JPGIMG_0745.JPG

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the self canceling turn signal ... very cool. Good work on the dash and console.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I did my front alignment and took it out for a spin. No leaks and fast as H***. Very easy to spin the tires. LOL. Now on the mounting the body. I hope to have it to the paint shop by mid Nov.

IMG_0746.JPGIMG_0747.JPGIMG_0749.JPGIMG_0750.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    After a lot of cutting underneath out back to clear the fuel tank I was able to get the body on. I have several fitment issues to deal with. If I bolt up the rear the windshield bracket is off a fair amount. Also the headers do not line up with the body cut outs. I now understand the straight jacket deal. LOL. Lots of fun next week for me.

IMG_0755.JPGIMG_0756.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working on the body as well as mounting my side pipes. I had to mount them due to that I already had my headers on and they were hitting the body causing problems in the front. I had to cut 3/4" from the front of the drivers side pipe for it to fit like the passenger side. Also had to go to a muffler shop to have a hydraulic pipe machine open up the side pipes so they would slip on the headers. Special thanks to my neighbor Jerry Ryan for his help with the side pipes. I could not have done them by myself. I highly suggest you fit these before ceramic coating the pipes. I ended up scratching mine a little bit. Live and learn I say. I drilled for my tail lights, cut out for the mesh, license plate holder and light. I am centering the plate. I am not painting half the back one color on one side vs. the other. No numbers or meatballs. I had to cut the body near the back of the doors. It would not lay down on the tube in the back. My body man agreed with a buddy of mine where to make the cut. We will glass it in later. I hope to finish up the dash and windshield mounts today and start on the front end tomorrow. Thanks to all for their help. It is very much appreciated.

IMG_0757.JPGIMG_0761.JPGIMG_0764.JPGIMG_0762.JPGIMG_0763.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 10-25-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mounted the front end. I used my electric winch and it made it a easy one man job. I just got done with the front heim joints and have much trimming and aligning to do. For some reason the u-shaped bolts that the latches go to are fine on the passenger side but a mile to far in on the drivers side. I'll hope I can bend the bracket to get it to work out. Here is some pics. I had to remove my radiator shroud side parts. I should not have mounted them before the front end was on. That is what I get for trying to get ahead of the game. LOL. The car is started to look the part. My painter and I are getting very excited.

IMG_0769.JPGIMG_0772.JPGIMG_0773.JPGIMG_0774.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working on the front end for the last 3 days. I finally am done with what I will do and the rest is up to my body/paint guy Chris. It opens and closes fine and stays up when open now with the shocks installed. I trimmed and mounted my spoiler with Cleckos. I also started on the doors. I hope to get them done by next week. Here is some pics.

IMG_0779.JPGIMG_0781.JPGIMG_0777.JPGIMG_0778.JPGIMG_0783.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Excellent progress. For what it's worth, I had read somewhere to add a plate to the front hood shock mount in order to add strength to the "wafer board". I sandwiched it between two 4"x 4" plates. Mine are eventually hidden by the aluminum bucket covers that I made.

Last edited by Fluge; 10-29-2014 at 07:19 PM.
    It's just A Matter Of Time

Marc

FFR Coupe 434, 347ci, Power Brakes, SAI Mod, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like a great idea on both parts. I think I will add the plate on the wood for sure. I like the headlight panels as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I worked on the doors. I was able to get the frame, latch, door handle and solenoid all mounted. Lots of room inside the door made the work easy IMO. I am not sure if I will pay to have FFR cut the holes in the body before pick up again. Not one was in the right spot or right size. I would have been better off with no cut outs. Just my 2 cents. I think who ever did the cutting was not familiar with the coupe. The hinge cut outs are supposed to be 1.6" wide. they are .75" wide and in the wrong spots. Oh well that is what fiberglass resin and cloth is for right? LOL. Here is a few pics. I used the Spal door openers from Speedway. I have had good luck with them on 3 builds so far.

IMG_0784.JPGIMG_0785.JPGIMG_0786.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on the foam reinforcement, I used a piece of aluminum about 6" x 12" approx and bent nit in a "U" shape to fit over the foam. Works great. I can't believe FFR used a crappy piece of foam instead of a piece of 1/2" plywood, would have been so much stronger in a critical area. Solenoid idea is a good one, used one from Summit on mine on the driver's door only.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the drivers door fitted yesterday. Closes like a new car. I had to take a break to watch the Florida /Georgia game. I could not believe the Gators won. I am a Florida fan and did not see that coming. Maybe I'll fit the passenger door next Saturday for good luck. LOL.

IMG_0787.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished up the passenger door. I drilled the inside aluminum for the door area. Just mocked it up with Cleckos. I made a plate for the pontoon area as well as mocked up the splash guard. Both of these tighten up the pontoon IMO. I also made aluminum plates for the tilt front end. Thanks Fluge and Loeffler1 for the idea. Still have to work on the drivers side pontoon. I still may add a brace of some sort to the pontoon.

IMG_0788.JPGIMG_0789.JPGIMG_0790.JPGIMG_0791.JPGIMG_0792.JPGIMG_0793.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the last few days have been spent working on the door window frames and rear window. The rear window mocked up very easy. Nice fit too IMO. The door window frames are a totally different animal. Mine came nowhere close to fitting right. I ended up cutting the front of the frame and rewelding it. On the drivers side I only had to cut and weld the front of the frame. The passenger side was way off and had to cut front and back as well as the lower part as well. I still need to clean up the welds and then get them powder coated but they fit great now. It is a shame that FFR does not put a little more work into these parts. I can see the fiberglass cutting and shaping but the frames should fit IMO. I was able to use 10-24 riv-nuts and have the brackets bolt close to the door. Then I did what I had to make the frame fit the opening and seal well. I am ordering the opening and closing 1/4 window from Russ. He is a great guy and well worth your time to look at his website. Many goodies that are first rate IMO. You can see in the pics where I made the cut and how I held it in place to the body then tack welded it in place for a good fit. I am playing with the idea of making the door windows one piece poly carb tinted and then tint the rear window. I am not too happy with the sliding Lexan widows. JMO.

IMG_0803.JPGIMG_0794.JPGIMG_0797.JPGIMG_0804.JPGIMG_0801.JPGIMG_0802.JPGIMG_0795.JPGIMG_0796.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-15-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the big Moutrie Ga. swap meet today. Great event for car guys IMO. I was able to buy these 2 great things for my coupe IMO. 1st is a LED tail light that is so close to the kits lights but 10 to 25 times brighter. The photo shows it in the t/s, brk light bright mode. The 2nd thing is a H4 halogen head light with built in T/S and parking led. This way I can fill the kits holes in the head light area. I did not care for the original style parking , T/S lights. I know they are most likely period correct in the kit but I wanted some more modern lighting on my Coupe.

IMG_0807.JPGIMG_0808.JPGIMG_0809.JPGIMG_0810.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 11-22-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I went to the big Moutrie Ga. swap meet today. Great event for car guys IMO. I was able to buy these 2 great things for my coupe IMO. 1st is a LED tail light that is so close to the kits lights but 10 to 25 times brighter. The photo shows it in the t/s, brk light bright mode. The 2nd thing is a H4 halogen head light with built in T/S and parking led. This way I can fill the kits holes in the head light area. I did not car for the original style parking , T/S lights. I know they are most likely period correct in the kit but I wanted some more modern lighting on my Coupe.
    Can you post more info on the tail lights. I have been looking for a bright LED replacement and have not found anything yet.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the lights from WWW.Rodworx.com. The taillight part # is CTL-1939-FM. They use 2 studs to mount them in the back. They come with a 1157 type connector so it possibly could plug into your existing socket. They are almost exactly the same diameter as the kits lights, maybe 1/8" larger in diameter.

IMG_0811.JPGIMG_0812.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 11-22-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mocked up the head lights, driving lights, tail lights and rs door panel. I am really happy with the lights. Very bright and look good IMO. Door panel from Levy Racing is a nice touch to the inner door IMO as well. I need to knock out a few things before I take it to Huegenics for paint on 12/1/14.

IMG_0813.JPGIMG_0815.JPGIMG_0816.JPGIMG_0817.JPGIMG_0818.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I fitted the front head light covers and mounted the mirrors. I drilled the cover brackets for 8-32 screws and installed riv nuts 10-24 for the mirrors. All I have left to do is mock up the Russ Thompson 1/4 windows and the front part of my dash. Then it off to paint on Dec. 1st. Yea!!!

IMG_0819.JPGIMG_0820.JPGIMG_0821.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Great build Tom, I've watched all three of your builds. You do great work. Got a question, how would you rank the difficulty between the three?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Great build Tom, I've watched all three of your builds. You do great work. Got a question, how would you rank the difficulty between the three?
    Without a doubt the Coupe is the most work. The 33 next and the 818 is the easiest. The body work is so easy on the 818 due to the panels being so good. Also there is no seams to sand on the 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished up my Russ Thompson 1/4 windows. They fit great and look better than the scoops IMO. A must for a/c and or heat IMO. Now I will get the car ready for the paint shop on 12/3/14.

IMG_0822.JPGIMG_0823.JPGIMG_0824.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    What color scheme are you going to go with? Can't wait to see this one after your amazing 818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mjazzka View Post
    What color scheme are you going to go with? Can't wait to see this one after your amazing 818
    It is a brand new color PPG came out with. I am not sure of its name. In the shade or out of direct light it looks like a metallic gray when sun or direct light hits it the paint changes to a brilliant silver metallic color. Gloss black stripes. No meatballs or #'s. I am sort of looking for the GT street look. This one will surpass the other 2 cars I built as far as paint. We are putting a ton of work into making it look just right. Stay tuned. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well today I loaded my Coupe to go out for paint. My wife has my truck till Tuesday afternoon so then I will hook up and go. My painter is about 25 miles away. car loaded easy as pie.

IMG_0825.JPGIMG_0826.JPGIMG_0827.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    You make it look so easy. Here I am 7 yrs later, close but still no paint!
    Great job, paint choice sounds really cool.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great Tom!
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, your build looks great. Could you tell me or better yet show me a pic of where you placed your oxygen sensor for the PJ system?

Thanks,
    Mick
    Last edited by Mick40; 12-22-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post
    Tom, your build looks great. Could you tell me or better yet show me a pic of where you placed your oxygen sensor for the PJ system?

Thanks,
    Mick
    I put it hidden on the drivers side rear cylinder pipe. I realize that is not the preferred place but it is where I wanted it out of sight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!!!

Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost a month since I dropped off the coupe at Huegenics. Unfortunately for me they have not had a lot of time on the car till the last week or so. They have done some fiberglass work on the doors, hood and various holes that needed closing up. Hopefully the body will come off soon in Jan. Spray outs for the paint color are supposed to be ready on Friday. I can't wait. I never rush these guys because they always surpass all my expectations with the final product.

IMG_0865.JPGIMG_0866.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today we took the body off the chassis for further fiberglass work then paint. Huegenics did a fantastic job making all the gaps a perfect 3/16". Also fixed the hood. The right rear comer was way off and took a ton of work to make it right. They will always paint my car their workmanship is incredible IMO. They also modified my air cleaner to fit my car. I used a HEI distributer and they made everything fit great and still retain the cool look IMO. Here is some shots.

IMG_0874.JPGIMG_0875.JPGIMG_0876.JPGIMG_0877.JPGIMG_0879.JPGIMG_0880.JPGIMG_0881.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress Tom!
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    great stuff! Can't wait till I see the color.

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture of a mailbox my painter used to show the paint that will be used on my coupe. He uses the mailboxes for displays at car shows. The photo is not a good one. My bad. But you sorta get an idea of what it will look like. In the sun the grey really pops!

IMG_0868.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like a gun metal grey from the picture. Very cool, that 'll look good on the car I think.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    That really looks nice; the FR500 wheels compliment the car perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Here is a picture of a mailbox my painter used to show the paint that will be used on my coupe. He uses the mailboxes for displays at car shows. The photo is not a good one. My bad. But you sorta get an idea of what it will look like. In the sun the grey really pops!

IMG_0868.JPG
    Love it!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stopped by Huegenics today. The Coupe is in the first stage of primer. Wow! they sure did make it smooth. Still lots of work to go though. We are hoping for March 1st for the paint to be done.

IMG_0937.JPGIMG_0938.JPGIMG_0939.JPGIMG_0940.JPGIMG_0941.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    26 more days of torture!

John

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast