Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace18's 65 Coupe build thread.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wallace18's 65 Coupe build thread.

Well I ordered my Gen-2,Type 65 yesterday. Saved a ton on the 50/50 sale. June 21 pickup date. I sold my 33 on Thursday and am just finishing my 818 final details. This will be my 3rd build in about 15 months. I am hoping to keep this one but I never say never. LOL. I am reading all the previous posts I can. Thanks to all that documented their builds. I am in the process of getting a donor car. Lots to chose from here in Florida. Several with low miles. I plan on a mild 5.0 build with a T-5. I do all the work myself except paint. This has been a good hobby since I have retired. I look forward to documenting my build as well as meet a new group of FFR forum folks. I have already met so many wonderful folks from the 33 and 818 forums. You can check out my 33 and 818 build threads if you care to. I hope everyone here is a s helpful as the other forums. I just want to say hello and welcome all helpful tips and such. Tom Wallace.
    Last edited by wallace18; 06-03-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Raise your right hand and say after me,

"I (State your name), do swear/affirm, that upon acceptance of this "Revered Coupe Jacket", will willingly subject myself to all manner of frustration and abrasion that my FFR Type 65 will provide. I further pledge that any and all fellow Coupe builders will have free reign in using the cash available in my wallet as they see fit to improve my build plan. I will not look down upon our fellow Roadster builders, but rather take pity on those not talented enough to build a race car with a roof, So Help Me God!"

It is my pleasure to present you with the "Revered Coupe Jacket", Here's your sign!!

“If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    I state my name accept the challenge. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome to the coupe forum! Post many pics.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to do something different for this build. On my 33 and 818 I bought complete donor cars and stripped out what I needed. This go round I bought an engine , trans and rear from Prestige Mustang out of Monroe, GA. Todd gave me a good price on low mileage 89 GT mustang guts. I went to his place to get everything. Nice facility and tons of mustangs. I will tear everything down and go completely through everything. I did this on my other builds as well. I enjoy this part of the build. I like making all the stuff like new. This way I can be sure it is done to my satisfaction. The trans was not up to my standards to rebuild so I bought a new Ford Racing T-5 from Summit. Here is some photos.

IMG_0365.JPGIMG_0366.JPGIMG_0367.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 12-04-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well in the above post you can see the before pics. Here is the after pics. new T-5 trans, 8.8 with 3.27 gears and Summit axles and all new bearings. I rebuilt the lower end of the 5.0 with ARP main studs, new main & rod bearing, new oil pump, Ford racing oil pan. I added Trick Flow heads, cam, lifters, push rods, Comp cams roller rockers, Professional Products Crosswind intake and Powerjection III fuel system. Also I used March's newest Sport track A/C and alt. system as well. I have 90% of the donor stuff ready for my type 65 build. I go to pick the kit up in Wareham on the 17th. I should be at FFR by the 23 or 24th after visiting family in the NE. This is my 3rd Kit. It is always nice to meet the folks at FFR. I wish I could have gone to the open house but that is not possible this year due to prior commitments.

IMG_0384.JPGIMG_0385.JPGIMG_0387.JPGIMG_0389.JPGIMG_0386.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 12-03-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am packed and ready to head to FFR. I should be there on Monday to pick up the Coupe. Going to visit family in the NE as well. Wish us safe travels and I'll post pics if I can along the way.

IMG_0396.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice rig! Have a safe trip.
    Mike......FFR Coupe #340, 2003 LS1 350 RWHP, TKO 500, QT BH, Champ 10 QT pan, 5 Lug and AC, Cobra Disc, SAI mod, Nitto NT-01 275/315 ..Licensed for 28k..Just over 30k w/race tires and many mods
    http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/mmarshall01/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/stlmarshall
    2011, 2012, and 2013 St Louis region XP Champion

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace,

Very nice way to travel and will deliver your coupe baby safely home to FL. When you get to FFR, tell Sally I said hello.
    Safe and enjoyable travel wishes headed your way ... and a prayer as well.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent last 2 days in NY,NY. Going to FFR early monday. Saw Jersey Boys on Broadway. Great show! Also saw FFR roadsters in Manhatten. They sounded great. Can't wait to get the coupe and head home. Was nice to visit family in the NE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Wallace What you gonna do after you build all. Factory five models? Dave better hurry and get another in the work! Lol. Always a pleasure watching your threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    Wow Wallace What you gonna do after you build all. Factory five models? Dave better hurry and get another in the work! Lol. Always a pleasure watching your threads.
    I would not bet against that. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up the coupe this morning. Dave gave Marsha and I a tour of the plant. Saw Tony and Dave C. Everyone there is so nice. I said hi to Sally for you Garry. Saw lots of new 818 stuff as well. I'll post pics when I get home on Wednesday. Staying in PA for the night. Traffic was bad on I 287 lost 3 hours there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is some pics from Monday. We got home today about 10:00 PM. Long drive but everyone and every thing safe and sound. Empty trailer this week. Start inventory this week also.

IMG_0399.JPGIMG_0404.JPGIMG_0410.JPGIMG_0413.JPGIMG_0411.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tom,
    Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound back home... I gather Marsha enjoyed the trip too! Now the big question is "How the heck you gonna get that coupe out of the trailer and into the shop?!?" Though I bet you already concocted some rig! BTW, I noticed that you didn't bring the 818 along... did the guy from the NE deal fall through??

TC
    -just sitting here in Africa sweating!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tango68ss View Post
    Hey Tom,
    Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound back home... I gather Marsha enjoyed the trip too! Now the big question is "How the heck you gonna get that coupe out of the trailer and into the shop?!?" Though I bet you already concocted some rig! BTW, I noticed that you didn't bring the 818 along... did the guy from the NE deal fall through??

TC
    -just sitting here in Africa sweating!!
    Yea I guess he changed his mind. I never heard from him since I got the title. I just jack up the coupe and put a furniture dolly under it and roll it out the door into the shop. Stay safe and thanks again for keeping us safe at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took all the boxes out of the trailer yesterday. Today I Mounted my flywheel, clutch and trans to the engine. Then I inventoried all 24 of the boxes. 44 items on back order and only 1 item missing. Still waiting on my wheels also. Hopefully Whitby will ship my P/B and Hyd clutch stuff soon. I guess I start powder coating some parts next week. I hope to get the body and chassis out of the trailer tomorrow. I am not going to go as fast with this build as I have with others. I am trying some new things so there will be a learning curve I am sure.

IMG_0411.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    44?! That seems like a lot. I believe I only had three or four backorders when I got mine, but then that was well over a year ago. I hope it's nothing you need right at the start. Congrats on the car! I'm anxious to follow along with the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to get the coupe out of the trailer using 2 furniture dolly's. It rolled out so easy. Later I had some of my hot rod guys come by and we took off the body. There is a group of about 8-10 retired guys that meet for lunch on Fridays here in Alachua. All great car guys. They were a big help to me. Body removal was very easy when you have 6 guys. LOL. I started on a crude body buck to store the body while I work on the chassis. The fiberglass is not as good with this body compared to the 33 or 818 IMO. I see a lot of work in my future on the body. All part of the adventure.

IMG_0414.JPGIMG_0415.JPGIMG_0416.JPGIMG_0417.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished up my body buck and stored the body on the 4-post lift. I marked the aluminum and installed the front suspension and hubs.

IMG_0418.JPGIMG_0419.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the 3-link rear today. Rear shock springs are on B/O. I painted some parts and will take others to powder coater this week. I am taking the side pipes out for ceramic coating tomorrow. I gave the Eastwood powder coater a try today. I had no luck. I guess I wasted that money. Oh well I do not really have room for all that, and my coater is very reasonable and does good work. I also added the extra bracket on the banana bar. Just good insurance IMO.

IMG_0423.JPGIMG_0424.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using the eastwood setup for years, what is the problem?

Clean, usually sandblast, clean, dry

ground part, hang off rack and spray powder. important to use a regulator and water separator, need 20 psi or so IIRC

preheat old lady's reject oven to temp as per individual powder, place part in for specified heat time to reflow

remove place rack to cool
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    I've been using the eastwood setup for years, what is the problem?

Clean, usually sandblast, clean, dry

ground part, hang off rack and spray powder. important to use a regulator and water separator, need 20 psi or so IIRC

preheat old lady's reject oven to temp as per individual powder, place part in for specified heat time to reflow

remove place rack to cool
    Even when I attached the ground to the part the powder would not stick to the entire part. . I did all the correct prep work. Maybe it is the high humidity down here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I installed the front brakes and steering rack. I used Cleckos and mounted the passenger foot box. I then took it off to coat it with Lizard skin on the outside and thermocoustic on the inside.

IMG_0432.JPGIMG_0433.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice progress, great shop!!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted to passenger foot box. I also drilled and cleckoed both floors, drivers foot box and firewall. I put a coat of lizard skin sound deadener on all the mentioned tin. Tomorrow I will coat with the ceramic heat barrier and rivet it all in. Time to clean up and get ready for the 4th. Food and fireworks.

IMG_0440.JPGIMG_0441.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finished up the ceramic heat barrier coating and mounted the floors and 80% of the drivers foot box. I am leaving the top off till I get my Power brake kit and mount the pedals and stuff. I also installed the steering shaft.

IMG_0446.JPGIMG_0447.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    You're cruising right along! Keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Only had a few hours today. I cleckoed the rear cockpit alum and mounted the gas tank. Tomorrow is more Lizard skin on the tins.

IMG_0448.JPGIMG_0449.JPGIMG_0450.JPGIMG_0451.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. I suggest you hold off on the two side pieces that go behind the seat. If you put them on now when you mount the body they will be partially covered.

[IMG]IMG_9279 by cbergquist1, on Flickr[/IMG]

I pulled them off and made new ones to go on the outside.

[IMG]IMG_0078 by cbergquist1, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I finally got 4 hours to work on the coupe. I have been busy lately . My wife Marsha got a Polaris Ranger 570EFI. I have been helping her add stuff to it lately. I had Jim Hastings drop by. He is building a roadster soon. I got the engine and trans in as well as some more interior alum.

IMG_0466.JPGIMG_0467.JPGIMG_0468.JPGIMG_0469.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Today I installed the front brakes and steering rack. I used Cleckos and mounted the passenger foot box. I then took it off to coat it with Lizard skin on the outside and thermocoustic on the inside.
    You're using Lizard skin on the outside and thermocoustic on the inside. What thermocoustic are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Eastwood's. They run a sale on it from time to time. I have used it on 3 other builds with great success IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress Tom!
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well some of my B/O stuff showed up today. I was able to mount my rear springs. I then worked on my plug wires and filled the engine with oil and primed the engine with my drill. I got 75 PSI with a battery drill. Very happy with that. I mounted a few sensors and the drive shaft as well. Still 19 parts B/O. Also .still waiting on Whitby. He swears it is coming this week. Time will tell.

IMG_0470.JPGIMG_0471.JPGIMG_0472.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not posted in 4 days. Been busy with other stuff. I did finish up my radiator and shroud stuff. As well as cooling hoses. I drilled the trunk tins as well. Still waiting on stuff so I do not have to skip around so much. But I enjoy every minute I have to work on the car.

IMG_0473.JPGIMG_0474.JPGIMG_0475.JPGIMG_0476.JPGIMG_0477.JPGIMG_0479.JPG

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Making great progress Tom, it's always fun seeing the pictures of a build! :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some bad news today. My FFR wheels are B/O till Nov. I ended up canceling them and buying some F500 wheels and tires from American Muscle. I saw them in the new coupe book on one guys car. They looked good on it to me. Also saved a bunch of money. 1450.00 wheels, tires, lugs and locks. Free shipping too. I'll post pics when I get them in a few days, Still waiting on Whitby. I keep getting the same story the parts are coming soon. That was almost 2 months ago I ordered them. I guess God is testing my patience. LOL

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast