Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Friend passed away during build, seeking advice

Post Thanks / Like

Friend passed away during build, seeking advice

This is my first post here. I would be much obliged for the community's advice on how to proceed with the following.

I live in Utah. My good friend and neighbor Bill passed away very unexpectedly three months ago. He went outside to shovel snow and had a massive heart attack not 10 feet from the car project he loved. Bill was a very mechanical guy who had a '33 build underway in the garage. He was a great guy and he left behind a widow, who, surprisingly, doesn't have much interest in completing the build (). As much as I'd love to do the build, I don't have the time. So I am going to try to help her liquidate it and get a fair price for it--she needs the money. She already had one guy stop by and offer her an immorally low offer, giving her a song and dance about how it wasn't worth much. I recognize that the market for a kit like this is pretty small, but the motor alone is pretty neat, and, as you know, the FF is not like any other kit. Here's the list of components I see in the kit:

1) Complete '33 kit with body and powdercoated frame
    2) Nice mag wheels
    3) 5 month old 427 Cobra Boss rear sump crate motor, fresh from Ford Racing.
    4) A rear end that looks like a quick-change. Don't know enough to know if it is a real Hallibrand etc. Beautifully polished.
    5) Silver caliper Wilwood brakes
    6) Build has not quite gotten to the roller stage--He was mocking it up to weld tabs onto the rear axle. The front suspension looks built but wheels not mounted
    7) I don't see a trans or fuel delivery system in there, but they may be in boxes in the garage.

I have two rough plans for helping the widow, and I'd really appreciate any guidance you'd be willing to give on these (or alternative, better) plans. Here they are:

Plan 1: Sell the components separately. The price tag on the motor is 8-9k, and someone with a Cobra build might want it too. I'd imagine that I should sell the unbuilt kit as a package, possibly with the rear end since the axle already has the Wilwoods mounted. If I did this, are there any recommendations on how/where/how much? I know listing it locally is not the highest probability shot.

Plan 2: There are 5 or 8 of Bill's friends in the neighborhood who are car guys. One has done a frame-off restoration of a Sprite. Another build a FF Cobra a few years ago. We wonder about maybe doing an 8-man blitz and getting the car running or at least rolling, unpainted, and then selling it. All the guys would do it out of love for the widow, so labor is free. But I suspect that the kind of guy who wants a kit is also the kind of guy who wants to build it himself, so I am not sure if this is the best option. But.... if this is the best option for maximizing her take, we are willing to do it. Doing the full Monty with paint, upholstery, etc. is probably not feasible since it would require further investment on the part of the widow.

Thanks in advance for your advice. It would be great to have some real $$ number suggestions.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 6.JPGphoto 7.JPGphoto 8.JPGphoto 9.JPGphoto 10.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. I like your "Plan 2" option as till will probably get the most for the widow.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, plan 2 would be the best bet. I could take forever to sell everything individually so I'd either do a tribute build and sell the car on ebay/auction and make a really big deal of it to remember Bill, or sell the package as is. I wish I had the time to fly out there to finish with you guys. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Actually, the build isn't that far along so getting a group together to finish the build will be a MAJOR task, with significant added expenses. I think you are better off doing a complete inventory and selling, either with or without the motor, depending on who wants the chassis. I'd offer an option of the kit and motor or just the kit first, and then sell the motor later (if if doesn't sell with the kit). The motor won't be a problem to sell, those are a very popular option in several FFR models.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    inventory all the parts
    and sell
    You are going to run into problems getting it together If I remember correctly that pan hangs down awful low in the kit.
    There is allot of fab still needed for the rear to be a roller.
    As stated it is not that far into into it.
    put a price on it of 27,000 B/O and negotiate from there you can always remove parts and sell if they don't want them.
    I know there is more in it than that but when a car like Ollies is going for 49,000 B/O for a finished show car You can see where the market is.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Mark, but wouldnt have priced it that high.
    Mike

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree with David H. The idea of building the hot rod is a very nice gesture. I think it is maybe a little less reliable due to the time line and all of the complicating factors involved in a build. if someone wants a premium build, they would probably like to choose the choices for powder coating panels or other personalized things about the project. If you sell the kit as is, I think the lady's return will be sooner and cleaner. If you haven't already posted on ffcars, that would cast an even wider net for the resale. Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Warm thanks to you guys for the sentiments and responses. Talking about it today with the neighbors, I think the safest and fastest route will be to sell as is. My hunch is that there's an 80/20 rule on these builds, where mostly it all bolts together fine, but you spend a great deal of time on the 20% like fabbing floorpans and welding tabs to axles, etc. That could drag things out much longer than we'd like. Frankly, that's probably stuff a new owner would like control over anyway, as Skullandbones says.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see a lot of work just to get that quick-change mounted in the chassis. What I see is steel brackets that need to mate up to an aluminum housing because he intended to use the FF top 4-bar mounts. Most quickies use clamp on mounts on the axle tubes (if ally) and bolt on mounting plates using the existing quickie side cone bolts, so there's a ton of work just in that one area to make it work.
    If my circumstances were different I would be all over it at that price because the parts list is largely what I want to build, but that's not possible right now.

I too think selling the whole shebang at once is the best bet. It represents a great bargain for a potential builder. You and your neighbours deserve a huge round of applause for helping this lady out.

Martin.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested. I have built an engine and am about to order a kit. If you are still interested in selling, please call me at 857 205 7277. My name is Will Anderson and I am in Des Moines,Wash. Near Seattle. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also interested if oatwilli passes on the opportunity.
    See your PM.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to add my two cents. At $49.5K I didn't get any interest at all. Now I am down to an asking price of $39.5K and still crickets.... It looks like the market value of a finished HR is $30K on the low end to $37-39K for a higher end build with really nice paint and new parts. If mine is only worth $35-39K then an unfinished kit with most of the needed parts should go for $20-25K. Yes, I know, that is a loss for the OP. Don't forget, body work and paint on the HR can run from $7K-10K+.

I am bringing my HR to the Open house with a "for sale" sign on it. Let's see what the market will bring

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Did this fellow ever contact you? I have not heard back. Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Will,
    No, he never got back to me neither.
    Don't have any idea what is going on.
    Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Will and Ray-

I just hope that somehow the widow was taken care of in all of this. Perhaps you will hear back soon.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    I agree.
    I just hope the widow and family were not taken advantage of.
    That would be really mean spirited.
    Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Still interested

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ray View Post
    I am also interested if oatwilli passes on the opportunity.
    See your PM.
    Thanks.
    Am going to attempt to get some info from FFR. I'll let you know how I do. Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, this is the revival of a very old thread. I am the original poster. I am sorry to those of you who replied. I dropped the ball on letting you know that the widow needed to sit on it over the fall and winter--I think she wasn't totally ready to let go. She is now ready. She asked another neighbor (a guy who just did a frame-off, nuts and bolts resto on an MG Midget) and I to get this thing inventoried and sold. We went over today and poked around to see what is there and what is not. Her husband was a very meticulous guy and kept everything unopened and organized. Here is what we have (updated from the previous post):

1) Complete '33 kit with body and powdercoated frame
    2) Nice mag wheels
    3) 1 year old 427 Cobra Boss rear sump crate motor, fresh from Ford Racing. Complete with heads and ancillaries on the front of the motor. We were not able to locate any carb or FI system in his boxes. Will include nice engine hoist if we get a reasonable price for her.
    4) A Winters Performance Products rear end. Looks like a Hallibrand. Beautifully polished.
    5) Silver caliper Wilwood brakes
    6) Build has not quite gotten to the roller stage--He was mocking it up to weld tabs onto the rear axle. The front suspension looks built but wheels not mounted

Body is sitting on frame for mockup, but not bolted down. The boxes I see are mostly unopened if they haven't been assembled yet. There is no transmission, but apart from a carb and trans, the kit looks like it just needs completing. No bodywork has been done. The car is located in Utah near Salt Lake City. Easy access to I-15, I-70, and I-80. We can provide muscle to help you load the car and motor on your trailer. We want to be realistic with pricing but also want the lady not to get ripped off, so we are going to ask $25k. I think this represents a good deal given the rear end, crate motor, wheels, and un-bodged state of the kit. Hit me up with a PM or an email if you are interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    I agree with Mark, but wouldnt have priced it that high.
    Mike
    Agreed, as it sits, more like 20K for everything. Even then you are in for a potential long haul.

27K and you'll be sitting on a pile of parts for a long, long, long time

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, thanks for the input. I think we'll be open to reasonable offers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be posting more pics later today too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snowtire View Post
    Hello,
    Do you still have the 33 roadster and what is the price?
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowtire View Post
    do you have a phone number were I can reach you?

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is dead, I made an offer for her original asking asking price, made a handshake deal to buy the car, was ready to buy the plane ticket and rent the truck to pick it up. I had a cashiers check for half the money, and the rest in cash to take with me. However, weeks started to go by, it turns out the widow now wanted full price of what her husband paid for the car and parts. The guy who posted it washed his hands of the deal, he is not a normal member of this site. I have his number, but he told me he was frustrated and no longer dealing with this sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 6t8dart View Post
    This thread is dead, I made an offer for her original asking asking price, made a handshake deal to buy the car, was ready to buy the plane ticket and rent the truck to pick it up. I had a cashiers check for half the money, and the rest in cash to take with me. However, weeks started to go by, it turns out the widow now wanted full price of what her husband paid for the car and parts. The guy who posted it washed his hands of the deal, he is not a normal member of this site. I have his number, but he told me he was frustrated and no longer dealing with this sale.
    would you share the phone number? thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 6t8dart View Post
    This thread is dead, it turns out the widow now wanted full price of what her husband paid for the car and parts. The guy who posted it washed his hands of the deal, he is not a normal member of this site. I have his number, but he told me he was frustrated and no longer dealing with this sale.
    The expression "no good deed goes unpunished" comes to mind.