FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Picked up our STI-hybrid swap donor today!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    $4100, nice. Hope I get even half that. Thx for consolidating the LSD links; I am waiting for mine to show up so the info will come in handy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good work guys, looking good!!
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    $4100, nice. Hope I get even half that. Thx for consolidating the LSD links; I am waiting for mine to show up so the info will come in handy.
    You'd be surprised at how the parts sales just keep trickling in. Just don't count the amount of hours you spend responding to pm's, updating posts, and meeting people from CL...the hourly rate is not good I'm sure. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if we hit $5500+ in parts sales by the time we're done. Our donor did have some valuable aftermarket parts though. Which is good, since we've had a few more expenses than we originally planned on...

We are going to deliver our short block to Larry's Power in Groton, CT on Friday too. While we're at it, might as well get it bored and honed to start completely fresh.

"While we're at it...." that's the definition of project creep. We keep saying it more and more lately it seems...

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget about the time you spend making custom boxes to safely ship large, heavy and awkward objects lol.

Good luck with the machining! Always fun to get shiny clean machined parts back from the machinist.

Post Thanks / Like
    She hands me those fun packages

Post Thanks / Like
    15 days until we pick up our kit!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the temptation is going to be to start thrashing right away but be sure to go through the boxes and make sure you've got everything. I was missing 1 large aluminum panel that would have cost me oodles to have had shipped from FFR.
    Fast Cars, Fast Women, Fast Haircuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    We've got a few things to do on Sunday after we pick up Saturday, but the rest of the day will be spent on inventory & organizing.
    We also took an extra day off work a week ahead, so we can get the garage cleaned up, and re-organized for building.
    Last edited by xxguitarist; 10-10-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine is out to the machine shop for boring to 99.75mm with a torque plate for accurate shape. We media blasted the engine case halves before sending them off to the machine shop, so they're.. well, a whole lot cleaner than they were. We didn't have a ton of time, so they're not perfect. Good enough, though! Plus saved a bit of $.

Before:
    photo%u00252B2%u00252B(4).JPG
    After:
    photo%u00252B3%u00252B(2).JPG

Today and tomorrow we'll give the transmission the same treatment. Now we will be able to button it up & set it aside with new axle & shaft seals.

We've also started in on the wiring harness.
    First out was all of the airbag/SRS system, followed by most of the ABS, radio, AC, etc. Lots of wires left, but we've gotten a good chunk of them out of the way. It started out at 48 pounds. Fourty-eight. We'll see how much we can trim off.
    photo%u00252B1%u00252B(3).JPG
    Here's what we've deleted after about 2-3 hours of work.
    wiring harness2.jpg

So far, we've spent 52 hours disassembling until the shell was out of the garage, and an additional 66 hours on the parts clean-up and prep, for a total of 118 hours spent so far. Keep in mind there are two of us, although I'd only count myself as 25% or so of a second person, since I went into this process barely even knowing how to change the oil in my car. Andrew (XXguitarist) has never done anything like this before either, although he is an engineer, which helps.

We are up to over $4900 in parts sales.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any results with the prior owner about what was told to you and what was really done ?

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    No response from him, so we are working on figuring out small claims court in CT

Post Thanks / Like
    We had incredible turnaround time from Larry's Power in Groton, CT - picked up ALL of the engine components yesterday (after only one week!!)! Heads were machined to match the 257 block, and decked. The block was bored to 99.75mm and honed using a torque plate, and decked. Also had the new oem EJ205 crankshaft, ACT flywheel and South Bend pressure plate balanced. Apparently the flywheel and pressure plate "really" needed it.

Block:

MPS H-Tuff rods and JE pistons arrived. The JE's were all less than a gram difference in weight. One of the MPS rods we will need to balance, but nothing major.

Subaru Master Gasket kit... organization sold separately.

Today we lapped the valves first. Before and after (right):

Lapped valve seat @ left, worn & pitted @ right.
    Last edited by Tamra; 10-18-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For installing GSC beehive springs, we searched everywhere looking for a good tool. We contacted GSC and they recommended this one. It is a EuroExport valve spring compressor (with a beehive adapter for a different motor) and it worked great!

GSC Beehive springs w/ Ti retainers:

Final product: GSC intake & exhaust valves, Machined to match EJ257 cylinder diameter.

We still have the other head to do, and then tackling the engine itself. But, it feels like we are making progress! In one week, we will have to make our build thread. 7 days til kit pickup!

Oh yeah, and we media blasted and then painted the transmission:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice!! Great turn around, I am on a month plus. The shop I use is slammed and there's only two machinist.
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 10-18-2014 at 08:34 PM.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice.. I grew up in Groton/Mystic CT area, but moved to CA 20+ years ago. Glad someone in my hometown did a good job for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    We worked out a trade with our repeat parts buyer for these PF01s, They're 17x8 +45, we hope that with a spacer we can run them as daily wheels, with RPF1 as auto-x wheels.

Bonus, they came with TPMS too, so we can sell those!

Post Thanks / Like
    We picked up fairly accurate scale. The pistons with the upgraded pins were balanced from JE at .1 gram variance across all four. That is excellent, so we did not have to do anything. The rods took a bit more effort to get balanced to .1 grams, as one was out of spec by nearly 2 grams.

Used our Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharper as a mini bench grinder. It came in handy - small, and with a variety of grits to get just the right amount of material taken off and then polished smooth.

All the rods measured out to 573.1 at the end. Thankfully, Manley had them measured on the small end and the big end in a perfectly level fashion, so when added together they equaled the total weight exactly, which we double checked with our scale which measures to .1 gram. This made it easy for us to balance the small and the big ends, since we already knew what they were from Manley, and could just take off a little on one end at a time to get them all to an equal weight.

Had some fun last Sunday at autocross. We had the opportunity to warm tires for a friend with an S2000 CR in A Street. That was a blast. I can't even imagine an extra hundred horsepower and 900lbs shaved off...
    I spun out 2 out of 4 runs, and coned the other two, but still won the ladies class by a 1.5 secs (um yeah...sorry about that girls). Definitely will take some adjustment when we get the 818 going.

Post Thanks / Like
    We picked up our 818 today! Time to make a build thread, since we're done with the tear down and cleaning, and now it's time to start assembling! See our new thread here: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Long-Rod-Build

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123