Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GA Limited 818S Build Thread - 07FIREBLADE & The Wizzard

Post Thanks / Like

GA Limited 818S Build Thread - 07FIREBLADE & The Wizzard

I guess its time to stop being a troll and start my build thread since I just finished up my semester of college. This is suppose to be the ultimate father/son bonding project. This is the first kit car they we have built together, but not the first project that we have tackled to date. Started out working on motorcycles and Honda's while I was in high school. I bought a 06 WRX with the plan of eventually tearing it down in plans of making a 818 after college, but being impaitient and my fathers retirement fastily approaching we decided to pull the trigger and put down a preorder. Got hotlisted about 2 months after the list was announced and got bumped up to a early Feburary production date from mid June.

GA LIMITED
    Start up company, my father and I made a few years back. We did bike restorations and one off builds. Had a few aero pieces replicated for my DA back in the day under this business.

THE BUILD
    We are going to building a 818S and its chassis 127, being built in our garage on our spare time after school and when I can get my homework done. Updates are going to slow and few in between. I want to do updates when I ht goals. Since I have been a troll though I am already art way into the build and have a DMV appointment for June 16th, hopefully I can get the car up and running by then. Pics will be all coming from my iphone so quality may not be top notch, but we will see.

Donor
    02 WRX ~ 127,xxx $3000
    Bought off a kid from NAOISC, who got his car "joyridden" which ended up getting crunched pretty bad... Car started idle, reved freely would go into gear but couldn't be moved. Bought the car on pure faith and reputation.

DRIVETRAIN
    2.2L EJ20 stroker motor - had low compression due to ring land failure.
    Exedy stage 1 HD clutch kit
    Transmission got rebuilt, replaced a few syncros and installed a quaife lsd
    Decided to get the motor rebuilt by a Garage Tuning - now known as Ubersport. Was initially going to give the motor and trans to COBB, which is down the street from me but got a bad vibe from them.
    Hybrid turbo - 18g turbo housing and a 20g wheel inside according to my tuner.
    Shooting for 300hp/300tq at the wheels. We will see.
    AWIC - Got my whole setup from Froozenboost.com
    Cusco solid motor mounts
    Moroso Steel oil pan
    Techworks Equal length headers
    Grimmspeed ceramic coated intake, tgv deletes, throttle body, crankshaft pulley
    Tial 50 qr bov, ebay turbo inlet
    CX Racing radiator

Wheels/Tires
    Rota's G-Force
    17x8 e48 - 10mm spacers
    18x9.5 e35 - no spacers
    Tire's
    Falken K453

Brakes/Suspension
    04 STI Brembo's/conversion kit from fastwrx
    -Contemplated on putting these on my own WRX and switching brakes but decided against it.
    SS Braided lines from the Race Line
    VCP Trailing arm kit
    Godspeed lateral links
    JDM aluminium LCA

Body
    Haven't decided on what color or style of finish yet
    Cobra Imola Pro Gt kevlar seats
    Schroth Profi-II ASM harness
    Homemade harness bar
    Handmade shift knob
    TWM short shifter/Longislandwrx shifter mod
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 08-11-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://vid657.photobucket.com/albums...nda949/300.mp4
    Delivery truck showed up after 2 breakdowns and getting lost...
    Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 07-11-2014 at 03:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Suspension Pics

Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 08-11-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interior

Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 08-11-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    reserved, photos to come shortly have a birthday party to go too

Post Thanks / Like

Been busy with school lately. But finally got some time to get the 818 up and running. Coolant is burning off of the header wrap in the video. First start after i figured out that my fuel lines were switched.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way ubercool!!! Congrats....
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where's all the pics in the reserved for pics section?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to get my iphone fixed right now... Didn't back up my phone to iCloud and dropped it awhile ago destroyed my screen waiting on a replacement screen to boot it back up and upload.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my car back from the exhaust shop, its been awhile since I've been able to update this thread. Life's been pretty busy and complicated lately. Haven't had that much progress on #127 lately. Couldn't wait for AJW to come to market with their exhaust system setup. Inspired by them with a bit of a twist, its about 80% done. Let me know what you guys think.
    Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 08-06-2014 at 04:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it sounds nice! So a cat and no muffler?

Any rear view of the tip? It looks dual.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Vibrant Resonator no cat, obx header collector flipped to make a quad tip. Full 304 stainless steel. I need to install my O2 and wideband in this photos, sounds way better in person. Took this video from my destroyed 5s... photo.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Were you going for the Zonda look?
    center-exhaust-500-pagani-zonda-c12-s-back-2_49wtmk.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Was until the welder messed up my tip, might still do that.

Post Thanks / Like

New gauges

Got some new gauges since my cluster had a busted speedo. Speedhut revolution gauges. With led warning lights and custom wording. Now it's time to make some sort of support to attach them. Haven't decided on material yet and locations for all of the gauges. Let me know what you guys think.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 08-11-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the exact same plan of using a collector tip flipped backwards. What size is each one of those 4 tips? Where did you find the turbo flange at the start of the exhaust system (new or used off an old downpipe)?

Not sure I like the diamond orientation of it. But sounds like you weren't originally planning that.

Sounds good.

Gauges look awesome. Reminds me of my 3rd gen rx7 for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    I liked the diamond configuration when I originally planed on having the tip come straight out the back section. They are 1.75" each. The flange is new, bought it off ebay. Stainless 76mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got most of my photos fixed

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Has Garage tuning finished your motor? Good group of guys there, they did my first street tune and helped me button up a few loose ends.
    Sounds like you will hit your target 300HP pretty easily.

Was your donor hit with a train? Jeez some joyride

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info.

If you have a chance, I'd love to see a photo of the rear of your 818 (straight on shot) to better see how the exhaust fits the rear of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill get a photo of the rear end next time I roll the car out with the body on. Right now it doesn't look like it fits all to well but I am going to make a bezel like the zonda and do the rest of the bumper cutout and it should look alright.

Drunk driver, ya Kelly and group are pretty cool a bit disorganzied at times but a great group to deal with. How did you like your street tune from them? How complete was your car when you had your tune done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had them tune it just after my first start, no body panels on. My ECU wasn't playing well with their laptop. That combined with the fact my o2 sensors were shot they just did a baseline tune based on my injectors and turbo. It was still on the rich side but it was enough so I could drive it in the HB show...where I saw you
    I ended up using Church automotive for the final tune.
    Tell Kelly I say what's up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh ok, I get ya. Im right at that point right now. Just got my O2 sensors installed. I need to go up their and do a baseline before I drive anymore. After my baseline they want me to break the motor in for 2k miles before I do any real dyno time. I dont know though if I'm going to be able to get a baseline done soon or might just wait until after I get my iWire harness done.

Post Thanks / Like

Gauges Part 1

Took a study break and started to mock up my gauge mount for the main cluster. Still need to do some more trimming and do a final finish with a CF top coat. Currently weighting out my options for indicator lights. Havent found that many options that I currently like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Took a study break and started to mock up my gauge mount for the main cluster. Still need to do some more trimming and do a final finish with a CF top coat
    That should look great! If it's not too late, I'd put the tach in the center. I've always preferred that layout; it's in my current Z, and I was glad to get an 06 WRX donor with the center tach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, if you're planning on any track time the tach being centered is very helpful. If you're only going to drive on street then the mph centered would probably be better.

Going to look great either way though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya I was feeling the same way. Just was on autopilot when I threw this together. Grabed the gauges and inserted them while I was looking at my broke 02 cluster in front of me. I'm going to do a final trim and finish then finish with a cf top layer. But before I do that I am figuring out indicator lights and mounting.

Thread might go dark again for a few days. My dad is going in for neck surgery tomorrow to have some TI rods and screws put in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been awhile since I've updated this thread. My dad went in for neck surgery last month and school started again. So progress has been slow. I started to get the body panels hung last time I Well I guess its time for some pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to make some spaces for some of the mini quik latches, they are a little short in a few areas. Like the front of the engine covers. I also dont like having a 1/4" stud just sticking up with no real support. There isn't enough surface area to really have that much strength. The fiberglass flexes quite a bit while trying to latch the pieces together. Other than needing to adjust the driver door a bit more and hang the opposite side. Hanging the body so far hasn't been too problematic. Hopefully my luck will continue but I highly doubt it.
    Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 09-13-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Made a new spacer for the quik latches. I had some spare bolts laying around and didn't feel like ordering elongated studs since I'm trying to fund a new project. Every penny counts now. I also started mocking up the front end a bit more. But ran out of time to get more than the driver side some what together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got off the phone with CHP, and i guess its time for me to kick myself into high gear. I have a VIN appointment on the 2nd of October. Need to get the body all hung and ready to go. Then its going to be down for a bit while Brian at iWire does a wire diet for me. Hopefully everything goes as plans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a new toy... It was time to trade in my original donor and get a new car. My 06 was running into way to many problems for me to justify fixing. Let me know what you guys think

Post Thanks / Like
    looks good - congrats on the new car. white with the dark wheels looks really good on the new wrx.

how is the fitment on those Rota G-Forces? Can you share tire sizes you went with as well? I was thinking of getting the Rota's in Gunmetal or "Hyper black".

Post Thanks / Like
    I will post specs on tires when I get home tonight. I've put steering limiters from breeze on the rack so there are no fitment issues anymore. Need to finish mounting the front end and the aluminum to verify final fitment but it looks promising. I love the Rota's only regret is the pitiful looking rear brake setup with the staggered size.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curious on that too... Will the fronts rub at all when hitting bumps? The Rotas look really nice on there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im hoping for a test drive with body mounted next week so time will tell if they will rub on bumps. The only rubbing I had was prior to the rack limiters being put on. Im also running a 10mm spacer up front with extended studs. I will keep you posted how things go.

This is what im talking about for awful looking rotor/wheel size:

Front wheel looks so much better:

These are the spacers that I bought:

The rubbing that I had prior to fitting the rack limiters was on the very edge of the aluminium firewall hitting the inner most portion of the thread. I will post the tire sizes when I get home. I dont have a clear picture of them in any of my albums or I would tell you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got more body panels mounted. I still have a ways to go to get everything where I like them before final tear down and body prep for road worthiness. I rescheduled my CHP VIN appointment due to a few complications arising. Decided to take my time instead of rushing to the finish line. I would eventually have to redo a lot of steps for future mods that I had on hold while I was prepping for CHP.

I had to trim my windshield from so both sides would match. Surprised by how much the two sides were off. I need to do a bit more trimming and fitting on the fender, hood, windshield from area before I install my hood pins.

On another note: I had some fun the other day at work:

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! That's awesome. Just random cars in a parking garage?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gold chrome wrap... ugh; why do people do that to such nice cars?!?

Those 3-wheelers are T-rex, right? Hayabusa motor? Never seen one in person.

Good luck finishing up and w/ CHP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Those 3-wheelers are T-rex, right? Hayabusa motor? Never seen one in person.
    Depends, the models sold now all have an I-6 BMW 1.65L (the V13R, not T-Rex has a Harley V-Twin in). There are a couple in my area, I might say I am lucky, Campagna's factory is just minutes away!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast