Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Easy Question on Alternator Mounting

Post Thanks / Like

Easy Question on Alternator Mounting

Just starting a Coyote build so just exploring the bigger questions of PS, pedal box, headers, clutch, etc. But in putting the Ford alternator on the Ford Coyote, what am i missing (sleeves?) on the pivot mount to the block? A 3/8" bolt pivots in the 1/2" sleeve on the block? Not impressed since both parts came from the same place. What have others done for this or did i just miss something?

Have found some great help on the Coyote build site so far and a few familiar names from many years ago, but does not appear there are a lot of new posts on that site. Am i to assume that all of the helpful Coyote builders are on the road or using another of the forums.

Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    I initially used a sleeve on the alternator bolt but I was not happy so I got a bolt with the proper diameter shoulder and proper threads. A simple fix that eliminates any of the unwanted movement.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    I got both from the same supplier, also. Came with a shouldered sleeve, nice tight fit.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford racing says this is the proper bolt and reiterated that when the bolt is tightened the nut in the ear of the alternator pulls in to keep it centered. FR rep had even gone out to check an installation on a car to verify. While agreeing that the sliding nut assures a tight fit on the sleeve (end to end) when tightened, I feel he is looking at the wrong axis, and the bolt remains off center in the sleeve because of the loose fit. While he was firmly convinced, I will check with Ford locally, as it does not appear correct to me. For those who received a shoulder bolt from Ford or found a shouldered bolt on your own, can you send me a photo? (If you have it installed, don't go to the trouble of removing it.) Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of hard to get at, but: (descriptions are in lower right of photos)

Driver's side shouldered bolt.JPGPivot bolt with shouldered insert sleeve.JPG
    Last edited by DaleG; 01-23-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you guys get a different bolt from? I also called ford racing and they said that on the production car the bolt fits the same way.
    Last edited by 48prerunner; 07-22-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIPSNAKE View Post
    Ford racing says this is the proper bolt and reiterated that when the bolt is tightened the nut in the ear of the alternator pulls in to keep it centered. FR rep had even gone out to check an installation on a car to verify. While agreeing that the sliding nut assures a tight fit on the sleeve (end to end) when tightened, I feel he is looking at the wrong axis, and the bolt remains off center in the sleeve because of the loose fit. While he was firmly convinced, I will check with Ford locally, as it does not appear correct to me. For those who received a shoulder bolt from Ford or found a shouldered bolt on your own, can you send me a photo? (If you have it installed, don't go to the trouble of removing it.) Thx.
    My build is complete so I don't have access to the bolt for photos. I measured the hole diameter and took the bolt supplied by FRPP to a local bolt shop and they had a similar bolt in stock with the proper shoulder diameter. I think it cost around $5.

I checked my photos and unfortunately I did not take any with the alternator bolt
    Last edited by Jester; 08-04-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea what size shoulder bolt it would take but McMaster-Carr has a large selection.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-screws/=t4sjvf

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill