Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MKIV Coyote + KRC Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like

MKIV Coyote + KRC Power Steering

Well I finally finished my power steering setup on my MKIV Coyote build. Figured I would share my experience...

KRC's power steering setup for the Coyote is designed to run off of the water pump pulley and is mounted via their custom bracket just to the left (when looking from the front of the motor) above where the factory AC compressor would be. They provide a replacement water pump pulley with an additional belt location for the power steering in front of the water pump belt. Their design uses a 4.25" water pump pulley and a 6" power steering pulley which keeps the RPM of the pump below the max rated 5500 RPM of their cast iron pumps (unless you want to break the bank and get one of their aluminum pumps). Their pumps can be adjusted for boost pressure by replacing the output/pressure line 6AN fitting which has an integrated flow control valve. They have 8 different fittings you can buy with different flow rates for about $20 each. I bought the second to lowest flow rate valve which is rated at 1.75 GPM. The pump supply line input is a 10AN fitting and I routed that to one of KRC's remote reservoirs which is internally baffled. All of the AN fittings and lines came from Breeze.

From the top:
    IMG_2098-1.jpg
    From the bottom:
    IMG_2100-1.jpg

Only thing that is a little bit of a challenge is that since the pump is high and gravity fed, the reservoir also has to be up high. I found that the only place that the reservoir could be mounted and be high enough was above the radiator shroud next to the Coyote radiator tank. The F panel didn't work as the clearance required for the hood strut forced it to be a bit low. I searched everywhere for an power steering reservoir that was lower profile and more horizontal (longer rather than taller) but could not find anything. My placement worked out fine with the 90 degree 10AN fitting from the reservoir being about 1" above the pump inlet (another 90 degree 10AN fitting) and was routed above the radiator fan.

IMG_2097-1.jpg

The routing of the pressure lines took me a while to figure out. After a couple different approaches I realized that adding a cooler simplified the routing. So, I mounted a small cooler (8" long) down in the oil cooler opening in the nose. I used a 90 degree 6AN fitting off the pump outlet and routed the line above the radiator fan, a 45 degree 6AN fitting at the rack inlet, a straight 6AN fitting at the rack outlet, straight 6AN fittings at the cooler inlet and outlet, and a 90 degree 6AN fitting returning to the reservoir routed along the driver side edge of the radiator shroud. Without the cooler the return line to the reservoir would have been 6" long which probably would have lead to heat problems anyway.

IMG_2105-1.jpgIMG_2103-1.jpgIMG_2104-1.jpg

Overall I really like the product, all the components are top notch machined aluminum with black anodizing. The whole setup including cast iron pump, brackets, pulley, hardware, reservoir, lines, and fittings was around $700 (not including the Fox 3 turn lock to lock rack).

Finished late yesterday and didn't have a chance to get it down off the jack stands to give it a drive and try it out. I did prime the system and started the motor to purge air. This pump is very quiet, no whine - I couldn't tell it was even there compare to what it sounded like before installing it. The first drive probably won't be until this weekend. I will report back as to how it performs and feels...

Kevin
    Last edited by bansheekev; 05-19-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I took the car for a drive two weeks ago with the #5 flow valve installed (1.75GPM) and it still was a little to much assist. I ordered the #4 (1.5GPM) flow valve from KRC which arrived Friday. Installed it on the pump (all of 5 minutes) and took the car for another drive. This setting is a good blend of easy low speed maneuvering combined with good response / feel at speed. No further modifications required - power steering project officially done.

Again, the limitation on this setup in a MKIV is the height of the pump and the requisite height requirement of the reservoir. Unless someone can find a reservoir that isn't as tall as the KRC one I used (which I couldn't) and they are using the FFR hood hinge, the F-panel isn't an option due to the hood strut limiting the height when the hood is closed. Above the radiator shroud with the cap the same height as the Coyote coolant reservoir cap is the only place I could find to make it work.

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank Kevin. Where did you get your rack from. And how is it at high speeds?
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisarella View Post
    Thank Kevin. Where did you get your rack from. And how is it at high speeds?
    Right now it's an Autozone 6406 3 turn remanufactured rack. Some have complained that they are sloppy with lots of play but my experience is just the opposite. Absolutely no play in the wheel at all - it's tight and responsive.

I only have 5 miles on the car in go-kart form and have only had it up to about 45mph. Thus far I really like it. Low speed is where I want it and so far at 45mph I like what I feel. The freeway will be the true test but that is a ways off yet...

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the post, pictures and details. I am considering PS for my Coyote and I have already purchased an AGR PS rack. When (if) I install the PS I plan to also install a valve to adjust the line pressure and better control of the feel. As suggested high speed will be the true test - but may also have a lot to do with proper alignment as well - can be very twitchy if not properly aligned due to the short wheel base. I really like the feel of my manual set up and it if fantastic at all speeds once rolling but parking lot maneuvers require a little extra effort. I will go to PS at some point but may be after a few more seasons.

Please keep us posted once you get everything dialled in and tested.

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Alignment plans are:

Front:
    +8 degrees caster
    -.75 degrees camber
    -1/16" toe in

IRS Rear:
    -.5 degree camber
    -1/16" toe in

I did it all myself with a Fastrax tool but will take it to a professional when it's licensed. Right now it tracks dead straight and launched dead straight under hard acceleration...

Good signs thus far...

Probably will be September / October before it's licensed as it's probably going to paint first...

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Thanks for the post, pictures and details. I am considering PS for my Coyote and I have already purchased an AGR PS rack. When (if) I install the PS I plan to also install a valve to adjust the line pressure and better control of the feel. As suggested high speed will be the true test - but may also have a lot to do with proper alignment as well - can be very twitchy if not properly aligned due to the short wheel base. I really like the feel of my manual set up and it if fantastic at all speeds once rolling but parking lot maneuvers require a little extra effort. I will go to PS at some point but may be after a few more seasons.

Please keep us posted once you get everything dialled in and tested.

Thx
    Last edited by bansheekev; 07-20-2014 at 09:21 AM.
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked with KRC today after talking to them combined with Kevin's review I think it should be a good product. KRC said they were asked by Ford to design a pump that would allow all the stock components remain in their stock spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    This setup is popular with the Fox body Mustang crowd that are doing swaps with salvaged Coyotes... They can use everything from the salvaged Coyote - AC and all completely unmodified in the factory location and be able to add power steering...

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The KRC power steering kit is very nice and well thought out. I like how it attaches to the timing chain cover bolt holes without having to drill , tap or cut anything off.

Kevin what color hoses did you use. I've found AER1503-6-10 its an aeroquip hp power steering line in black but I cant find anything for the the -10an line other than blue. I guess I could cover it.

ok looks like you used braided steel I can see it in the later pics, what manufacture did you go with?
    Last edited by 48prerunner; 07-29-2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 48prerunner View Post
    The KRC power steering kit is very nice and well thought out. I like how it attaches to the timing chain cover bolt holes without having to drill , tap or cut anything off.

Kevin what color hoses did you use. I've found AER1503-6-10 its an aeroquip hp power steering line in black but I cant find anything for the the -10an line other than blue. I guess I could cover it.

ok looks like you used braided steel I can see it in the later pics, what manufacture did you go with?
    All of the lines and fittings came from Breeze Automotive. All stainless steel braided. -6an is high pressure Teflon and high pressure steel fittings which I believe Breeze gets from Aeroquip. -10an line and fittings are also from Breeze and it rated correctly for wall collapse strength under vacuum.

I cut the lines to the correct lengths and installed the fittings myself. No leaks, no issues...

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    One other small detail to note on my experience / setup...

I used a different belt than what was provided by KRC - one slightly smaller. What I found was that when the supplied belt was tensioned, the -10 inlet port to the pump was angled up 15-20 degrees. With my height challenges getting the -10 line to gravity feed I wanted it right at 9:00 / horizontal when tensioned. The supplied belt was a Goodyear Gatorback standard rib style so I looked up the product and found the part number of the next smallest one in the same family. The one I replaced the original with is a Goodyear 4050272 Gatorback Poly-V Belt. When this one is tensioned, the inlet port is now at 9:00 / horizontal - perfect. it was pretty inexpensive - $12.

Kevin
    Graduation Thread