Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Powertrain search narrowed down

Post Thanks / Like

Powertrain search narrowed down

After doing quite a bit of research over the past few months, I think I've narrowed down what powertrain choice for the MK4 I will eventually go with. I've narrowed it down to the 5.0 Coyote motor and the 4.6 DOHC V8's, with the possibility of the 4.6 3V as the dark horse candidate. Ideally they would mate to a 3650 from Gforce Transmissions. http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_3650.asp
    The rearend gears are still up in the air for me, but I'm open to suggestions. I have 3.73's in my Mustang and 3.27's in my father's SVT Cobra, so I've experienced both. What do y'all think? Looking for a street machine, not a race car.
    Last edited by Takis31gk; 05-23-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Powertrain choices

Quote Originally Posted by Takis31gk View Post
    After doing quite a bit of research over the past few months, I think I've narrowed down what powertrain choice I will eventually go with. I've narrowed it down to the 5.0 Coyote motor and the 4.6 DOHC V8's, with the possibility of the 4.6 3V as the dark horse candidate. Ideally they would mate to a 3650 from Gforce Transmissions. http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_3650.asp
    The rearend gears are still up in the air for me, but I'm open to suggestions. I have 3.73's in my Mustang and 3.27's in my father's SVT Cobra, so I've experienced both. What do y'all think? Looking for a street machine, not a race car.
    I have installed a 2004 4.6 4v DOHC with the 3650 transmission out of a Mach1 with the VCP 8 stack fuel injection in my 33 Hot Rod. It went very smoothly without any issues. should be ready to start next week. I will running the 355 rear gear purchased from Fortes real good people to deal with he does what he says.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use the 3.27 if I was building a street car.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    When we got my wife's 2010 mustang gt I was worried about that 373 gear. Now that I see the .58 5th gear, I see why it works out kind of OK. I would do a lot of thinking while driving your mustang. Not about acceleration but about how it does when you drive around w/ the engine in the lower rpms. We find ours doesn't feel good at all in 5th below 50 and it's better at 55. Based on our mustang experience I'd opt for the .69 5th gear and go w/ a 355 rear since the car is lighter than a mustang. Maybe the dohc and the 5.0 engines are better w/ the adjustable cam timing compared to my wife's car w/ the old school 4.6 sohc. What engine do you have in your mustang? Since you are not racing the car a lot of this boils down to what feels good. That huge gap from 4th to 5th always has bugged me which is why I recommend the .69 5th.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Given those choices I'd go with the coyote and 3.55's.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I built a 33 with a mild 5.0 and a 3:08 rear. It was plenty quick due to the light weight and cruised wonderfully. I would go with the 3:27 and never look back if it was me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I built a 33 with a mild 5.0 and a 3:08 rear. It was plenty quick due to the light weight and cruised wonderfully. I would go with the 3:27 and never look back if it was me.
    Which transmission & gear set did you go with?