Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body lift

Post Thanks / Like

Body lift

Hey all,
    I commented on a post about a body lift but it should probably be a new thread. I can put the body on this weekend but all my friends, though few, will be gone this weekend so I don't have help. Do you have a one time hoist setup plans that I can use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Best to wait for your friends to return; better yet, go with them and have fun.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tocoti,

No. Don't do it! Wait for the friends to return. Make sure they are all sobered up before touching the body. Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, I suppose it's possible but much safer w/ friends.You would need two hoists because the body has to go to about a 25 degree nose down attitude first to get it under the front mounts. Then the rear lowers slowly while the sides are pulled outward 4 inches each side. I just don't see a safe way to do this yourself.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    x3 on the "just wait" comments of others. I've rigged up some hooks in my garage ceiling, and I have a pulley system so I can take the body on/off either by myself or with another helper and it's a little quicker. But I would never use it for a painted body. Have plenty of people to help and do it right.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    x3 on the "just wait" comments of others. I've rigged up some hooks in my garage ceiling, and I have a pulley system so I can take the body on/off either by myself or with another helper and it's a little quicker. But I would never use it for a painted body. Have plenty of people to help and do it right.
    Edwardb,

Can you tell me how you suspended your car body from the garage ceiling? I'm interested in number of pulleys used, pulley load, screw or bolts size and the number of ceiling attachment points. I'm investigating the hardware right now and a little guidance would be helpful.

Thanks,

4.6 L

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4.6 litre View Post
    Edwardb,

Can you tell me how you suspended your car body from the garage ceiling? I'm interested in number of pulleys used, pulley load, screw or bolts size and the number of ceiling attachment points. I'm investigating the hardware right now and a little guidance would be helpful.

Thanks,

4.6 L
    Just to be clear, I don't suspend it permanently. I have a raised body buck, and have used that for both of my builds. But to get if on/off the buck, and on/off the chassis, I rigged a lift system in the garage. It's really low tech. I used screw eyes (as I recall 5/16 inch) into ceiling joists approx over each corner of the body. I found some latching pulleys used for suspending bikes at one of the big box stores. As I recall, they're rated for 200 lbs each. Plenty. Then just made some loops that go through the headlight and tail light holes. Then raise and lower by going round and round the four pulley's. It works fine for the limited number of times I've used it. I can take the body off/on myself, although it's easier with a helper. This picture hopefully helps.

Last edited by edwardb; 05-23-2014 at 10:03 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.