Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2005 stock OEM axel needed

Post Thanks / Like

2005 stock OEM axel needed

Hi guys I am looking for a 2005 front axel in good shape must be OEM with both boots intact.
    This shaft has the male splines going into the tranny. Thank you in advance. Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Just buy a rebuilt from NAPA, they rebuild only OEM axles according to my local NAPA, That's how I got my 02-04 female axles needed due to my Quaife install... About 55-60 each
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that's what I did! At least two months ago, they could only get 1 factory unit. All the others were aftermarket. So I had them call all the other NAPA's in the state while I was waiting and none of them could find a stock unit, with the round inner housing, and greenish paint, now they were a little amazed themselves so they called the rebuilding whare house, then finally the rebuilder. The rebuilder said if I paid the shipping they would send one over specifically, OEM. We'll they sent an aftermarket rebuilt unit.
    I know the NAPA owner and they finally threw there hands up and said you on your own.
    All in all pretty frustrating. I'll go to Subaru and "Pay The Man". I guess unless somebody can produce one.
    Seams the WRX must be different then a regular impresario.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer, mine were correct, 1st time... tho I had already bought two new, useless of course, aftermarket units
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    My NAPA also supplied aftermarket axles so I eventually had to pay big at the dealership.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ebay dude, I found a like new set for like 150 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sold a set of female axles on NASIOC.com for $100. They pop up there all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any body come up with any axels?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll chime in with these questions/comments in the event it's helpful. Are the 2006 and 2005 interchangeable? Are you looking for the axles or the entire CV/axle assembly? I have 2006 axles but not the CV joints. Somerset sells just the CVs in many cases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill, the kits supplies the axels for the rear, we use the front inner C.V. Joint, and the outer rear C.V. Joint,from the WRX.

Post Thanks / Like
    I need a rear outer CV. I think I damaged the rear outer from my 02 donor when I tried to take it apart and re-grease it. When I looked online they want to know if I need left or right. I took my donor apart and marked front and back on half shafts but not L & R. Now that I have everything apart how do I tell if the damaged rear outer CV is L or R? Then I can try NAPA and bring in my donor parts.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure left and right are the same

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwarden View Post
    Pretty sure left and right are the same
    Yep, they looked identical. I didn't keep track of which was which.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe on some Impreza's the rear axles are different length by 10mm.
    We are not using the axles from the donor. So either outer CV joint will work for either side on an 818.
    Bob

axle.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CU9DZ View Post
    I need a rear outer CV. I think I damaged the rear outer from my 02 donor when I tried to take it apart and re-grease it. When I looked online they want to know if I need left or right. I took my donor apart and marked front and back on half shafts but not L & R. Now that I have everything apart how do I tell if the damaged rear outer CV is L or R? Then I can try NAPA and bring in my donor parts.
    Dave
    I have a spare rear axle with a good outer joint if you need one. I'm not sure what NAPA charges for there axles, but I'll sell it cheap if you need it. The only difference between sides is the axle shaft length which isn't reused anyways. LMK

Post Thanks / Like
    Napa or Ebay. I just got a front axle for my 05 wrx wagon - OEM remanufactured with a lifetime warranty on eBay for $45 with free shipping and no core charge. Just look up detroitaxle on ebay.

It's an amazing deal, I don't know how they do it. I will say they clearly use aftermarket boots that are somehow bulkier than OEM. Otherwise it's been more than fine. The paint is a nice touch as OEM ones get lots of surface rust.

Post Thanks / Like
    One word of caution about using aftermarket axles - if they are for your daily driver wrx, that's perfectly fine but if you're planning on using them for your 818, aftermarket axles often use a different CV joint design than OEM. This means the cv joints may not be compatible with the factory five axles. I had front axles that I spent an evening trying to take apart before I realized they were aftermarket and the joint was not coming off of the axles just by hitting it with a hammer, it must've been pressed on or something. Nonetheless, it would not have worked with the FFR axles. Make sure you do your research or just use OEM axles to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found replacement inner CV joints--just the joint and no axle--on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I needed to replace the aftermarket one that came on my 2006 WRX donor. It fit the axle and seems well made.

I tried the same company for the outer CV but with no success. I could not locate the Subaru part number for this. As far as I can tell, the outer joint is sold together with the shaft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rori
    Yes I need a rear outer CV joint for my 818. Has to be OEM and 2002 or similar. I checked NAPA and the difference between L and R rears is the shaft length which I don't need for the kit. Only problem might be the shipping charge since I am on east coast.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    Hi guys I am looking for a 2005 front axel in good shape must be OEM with both boots intact.
    This shaft has the male splines going into the tranny. Thank you in advance. Don
    Talk to Ian at Somerset Subaru 508 676 3071 He gave me this $ Quote.
    Remanufactured Axle = $179 List $129 Net with core charge of $40 each
    New = $399 List $335 Net

My experience with NAPA was not good = said OEM remanufactured but came in aftermarket China! Ran into the same problem with Ebay..what I saw was not what I got.

Not worth cutting $ on this stuff IMO, and you know the part you are getting will work....Ian is really good and willing to check parts to make certain you are getting what you need...at least in my experience with him.

Hope this helps, BC