BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front Nose and Headlights - Issues with fitting

Post Thanks / Like

Front Nose and Headlights - Issues with fitting

I am working on the front nose clip and headlights and I am having issues getting the headlights to fit decent. I already had to trim the nose clip to allow me to slide it back on to the car enough. I have installed the headlight buckets per the manual, but I am wondering.... should the bucket be under the front lip or on top as the manual states I have it on top or pressing on the front clip, not below. I have the plastic buckets also.

When I put the headlights in the front clip the headlight sits too far inward by the yellow reflector, it is by about .5 inch.

Any tricks to getting a decent fitment?

Thank you in advance for any thought or ideas.
    -Matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    need photos...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I have attached pics to help explain. I am thinking that the screw tab that was modified per the instructions is still holding the headlight off, as it feels like it pivots on that spot. but in the pics you can see the gap if you flush the front of the light. Thanks.
    photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the fiberglass buckets. But the light needs to go inside of the nose. It helps to fit the outside edge in first. I am not sure how the plastic ones are different than mine.

81878.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Still struggling with this, I have attached a few more pics. I have now put the bucket's front lip under the fiberglass nose, I have had to use a heat gun to heat the bucket to stretch it where the mounting tab that was modified on the light is because it was keeping the light from getting forward to the lip of the nose. I still have a gap at the side. Any thoughts? Has anyone used the plastic buckets successfully?

photo4.jpgphoto5.jpgphoto6.jpgphoto7.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Check my thread I'm having similar problems with the fiberglass buckets. You need to trim the "eyelid" fiberglass on the fender to get the fit at the wheel side to fit better. Several have built the cars and had the front of the fender not reach the nose. I have 1/4 inch right now and working to get that space to approx 1/8 like the other body gaps.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Guys, you have to trim the fender edge so it wraps around the headlight and meets the frontend. It is also important that the headlight sits about 1/8- 1/4 below the front facia in order to sit in the location cleaner. This means trimming the buckets accordingly. Other than this it should line up much better than the rear of the car. Also, If your quarters are back to far you might be fighting yourself, but there is a lot of play IMO so you should be good if your close. Pm me and send me pics if you need so help, have a good one. image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 05-26-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Check my thread I'm having similar problems with the fiberglass buckets. You need to trim the "eyelid" fiberglass on the fender to get the fit at the wheel side to fit better. Several have built the cars and had the front of the fender not reach the nose. I have 1/4 inch right now and working to get that space to approx 1/8 like the other body gaps.
    Looks like you have to trim some more and your lights have to come down some more, I also don't see that the fender is screwed down. The sides look good and your fender to front side profile is spot on.

This was the wrong post to reference, sorry Dan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Takes a lot of trimming!!! I think I've spent more time there than anywhere else so don't get discouraged. Just keep trimming with the Dremel. You'll be surprised how much you can take out of the buckets and still have them be plenty rigid. With the spyders I took out a bunch of material so the could sit down more.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's all good Chris! I'm trimming mine again after reviewing Craig's thread... Most previous threads didn't detail that area. Get it where you want w/o the light installed. Trim the eyelids and buckets until it fits where you want it.

You can't just blindly follow the assembly manual directions, this seems to be one of the most difficult areas. The rear quaters, rear clip and trunk lid is another. The door openings can be tricky and the area where the engine cover meets the roll bar is finicky too.

We are assembling a 3D puzzle. I've been leaving gallons of anti freeze and oil on my rear trunk, holding it in place and making it curve more. Fits much better!

We need to keep increasing the details for future builders!
    Dan