Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel System layout/ diagrams

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel System layout/ diagrams

Hey Guys-

As this is my first venture into a non-carburetor car, and my first ever Subie motor- I need some help.

I will be hooking up a Fuel Safe racing cell (In tank fuel pump) with -8AN lines.

Is there a diagram, or can someone educate me on the fuel lines going to the EJ25 motor. Return lines also etc. I just need to know about the motor, then I can figure it out.

Any trick parts that I should know about would be helpful also.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    image.jpg

I had an '07 where the three fuel lines coming off the top of the engine were in a different order ( than the pic) with the top line still the delivery line, the middle line a return line, and the bottom line the purge line. You can quickly determine the two fuel lines by the pressure regulators along those lines. I'm still working on what is needed to reproduce the purge/fuel tank vent system. Many are tracing the purge line back to the purge valve under the intake manifold, and removing the valve and finally plugging the resulting hole in the intake. Look into the thread type , someone pointed out that it isn't NPT, but something similar sounding like SNPT or something. Obviously, you want it sealed. You can then vent straight to atmosphere or through a charcoal canister to control fumes. Hopefully a start. It's as far as I've gotten, I'm buried in wires at the moment, lol.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    The two little saucers inline aren't regulators per se but dampers to prevent sudden spikes in flow. The FPR itself is after all of the injectors and has an airline hooked up to it. It is a 1:1 rising rate FPR. The pic is from a legacy GT which uses a slightly different manifold and side feed injectors. WRX motors use top feed injectors. Overall flow is still the same.

Tank - filter - inlet of fuel rail 1 - outlet fuel rail 1 to inlet of fuel rail 2 - outlet of fuel rail 2 to FPR (bolts to fuel rail in stock config) - FPR to tank return

Or, you can have it come from the tank, split into a Y, feed both inlets of both fuel rails at the same time, then have them feed back ito a FPR and back to the tank. This is more common on aftermarket setups.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help.

I'll probably do the aftermarket setup.
    Since I bought the motor separately, I'm guessing I'll need to grab a single FPR- or is it already on the motor? ( I'm on a business trip and can't run out to the garage and look.). Routing it this way would only require one FPR correct?
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Both ways only require a single FPR. The OEM regulator bolts to the fuel rail and the fuel feeds all injectors in series. Aftermarket tends to be parallel so the FPR has two inlet ports but a single outlet/return to tank.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Most aftermarket rail kits reuse the regulator and you end up bolting it onto the distribution block.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright- So I got my Fuel Safe cell. I just want to make sure I have all this right. I'll be using the stock FPR for the time being. I'm guessing its under the manifold (passanger side?) I'm use to Carbs- not this fancy stuff.

Top line is supply line (I will run it from fuel cell (in tank pump) to filter, then to top rail) I will be using AN fittings and braided lines.
    Middle line is return line (Run it back to the tank)
    Bottom line is vent line- Since I am not running stock tank or canister, should I just run a line with a small filter on it? I'm unsure what to do with this one, what have you guys done?

Let me know if I'm way off base here. I'm getting ready to order all the fittings and hose.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Remove the vent line and delete the solenoid assembly hanging on the manifold. Plug it with a bspt plug. Also plug the line on the turbo inlet where the solenoid used to go.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mechie. Excuse my noobness with these motors. I do better with pictures. I'll search around, or if you can find one quick on google post it here.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this- Is this correct?
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Sort of. Delete all of that including #2. It vents the charcoal canister at certain times while driving. No canister, nothing to vent, no need for it.

No problem with the noobness. I was a subie Noob back in 06. If I built something with any other motor I'd be a Noob too.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks- You wouldn't happen to remember the BSPT sizes off the top of your head? I need to order those. If not I'll just order a bunch of different ones.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    1/8"? I ordered a couple sizes too. Don't remember which ones I ended up using.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there anyway to delete most of the emission junk at the front of the motor with the stock tank and keep the charcoal canister? Like delete the purge solenoid and just run hoses or some other solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll end up having the canister but just venting that to the atmosphere and not feeding it to the I take manifold.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    So I removed this Spaghetti.

Now I need to plug the holes.

Mechie- The BSPT does look like a 1/8" on the center. I'll have it here any day.

Do I plug this one (on left)? Or run a hose somewhere?
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Plug the inlet to the silicone tube. Remove the threaded barb on the manifold and plug it. I think the bent fitting is pressed in. I believe I just capped it and zip tied the cap in place. Save the spaghetti. It breaks often and people are usually looking to buy them. Quick $20.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Plug the inlet to the silicone tube. Remove the threaded barb on the manifold and plug it. I think the bent fitting is pressed in. I believe I just capped it and zip tied the cap in place. Save the spaghetti. It breaks often and people are usually looking to buy them. Quick $20.
    Thanks again! I'm sure I will have more questions when I get ready to fire this thing up.
    Thanks- Chad

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like you are on your way.

For a better look, you can remove the hard line under the manifold if you want, I think it can be done without removing the manifold if you are creative with the snips.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could use some help identifying which fuel lines are which. The FSM for my '06 WRX says the top is return, the middle is vent, and the bottom is delivery. The Factory Five manual says that the top is delivery, the bottom is return, and there is no middle. They say to run the vent line from the tank to the engine bay. Looking at it, I think top is return, middle is delivery, and bottom is vent. The bottom must be vent, the line was only secured with a hose clamp and it has no damper valve. I think the middle is delivery because it crosses over the engine to the fuel pressure regulator on top of cylinder 1. It seems like that should come first, but I really don't know. Also, the return line is supposed to be 1/4"? I have pics, but they won't upload right now for some reason. I'll get them up as soon as possible, but I have a feeling that this is a really simple solution for you seasoned guys. Any help is appreciated!
    Kit #295 Picked up 11/26/2014!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suttonb3 View Post
    I could use some help identifying which fuel lines are which. The FSM for my '06 WRX says the top is return, the middle is vent, and the bottom is delivery. The Factory Five manual says that the top is delivery, the bottom is return, and there is no middle. They say to run the vent line from the tank to the engine bay. Looking at it, I think top is return, middle is delivery, and bottom is vent. The bottom must be vent, the line was only secured with a hose clamp and it has no damper valve. I think the middle is delivery because it crosses over the engine to the fuel pressure regulator on top of cylinder 1. It seems like that should come first, but I really don't know. Also, the return line is supposed to be 1/4"? I have pics, but they won't upload right now for some reason. I'll get them up as soon as possible, but I have a feeling that this is a really simple solution for you seasoned guys. Any help is appreciated!
    fuel lines.jpg hoses.jpg

On the engine, the top (5/16) is delivery to the engine, from the pump and filter.

The middle (5/16) is return to tank.

The (1/4) on the bottom is a vacuum line used to purge the charcoal canister. DO NOT ATTACH THIS TO THE TANK VENT, iT WILL CAUSE THE TANK TO IMPLODE. On the 818 just put a cap on this 1/4" tube unless you are installing the Evap system.

On the engine the fuel regulator is actually after the injectors.

I thought the instructions that came with the new tank were confusing.

Hope this helps.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 02-23-2015 at 11:52 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for your reply, Bob. The instructions that came with the tank (1N) were really confusing. Factory Five has done a great job breaking down the instructions for the different donors, but I don't think that was done here. Their donor only has 2 lines on top of the engine (mine has 3), an external fuel filter (mine's in the tank), and no mention of what to do with the fuel dampers (the little black saucers before the intake, mine has 2). I called tech support yesterday and was told that I was the first call about the new fuel tank and he had not heard of any issues.
    When you say to cap the evap line, you mean on the tank and on the intake? Doesn't the tank need some sort of breather to prevent a vacuum?
    I wanted to delete the evap system for simplicity's sake and no need to pass emissions, but I've heard that can cause some pretty bad gasoline fumes. Since she'll be parked in my attached garage I want to avoid that but would happily rip the system out if the fumes are tolerable. Anybody have experience with this? Capping off the vent line on my fuel tank would also help with my next anticipated issue: the vent line getting kinked when the fire wall is installed.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by suttonb3 View Post
    I wanted to delete the evap system for simplicity's sake and no need to pass emissions, but I've heard that can cause some pretty bad gasoline fumes. Since she'll be parked in my attached garage I want to avoid that but would happily rip the system out if the fumes are tolerable. Anybody have experience with this? Capping off the vent line on my fuel tank would also help with my next anticipated issue: the vent line getting kinked when the fire wall is installed.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    You don't want to cap the tank vent, just the evap line on the motor; the tank needs to vent or pressure will build up (and also let air in to displace the fuel used). I'm in the same situation with an attached garage and plan on adding a small charcoal canister like others have done. The charcoal absorbs the gas vapors (activated carbon has lots of surface area, which is why it makes a good filter). In a full evap system, the canister is periodically purged by a solenoid. With an un-purged canister, the charcoal may eventually saturate. I don't know how long this will take, but I wouldn't mind changing out the carbon every year or so (hopefully less) to avoid the complexity of the OEM evap system and keep fumes out of the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    You don't want to cap the tank vent, just the evap line on the motor; the tank needs to vent or pressure will build up (and also let air in to displace the fuel used). I'm in the same situation with an attached garage and plan on adding a small charcoal canister like others have done. The charcoal absorbs the gas vapors (activated carbon has lots of surface area, which is why it makes a good filter). In a full evap system, the canister is periodically purged by a solenoid. With an un-purged canister, the charcoal may eventually saturate. I don't know how long this will take, but I wouldn't mind changing out the carbon every year or so (hopefully less) to avoid the complexity of the OEM evap system and keep fumes out of the garage.
    Cap the evap line at the motor like wleehendrick said. Or you can remove all the purge valve and hoses from the motor. There is a thread about simplifying the motor.

I used SS braided rubber hoses for my fuel and return line. The hoses seemed to smell for the first couple of weeks, but nothing anymore.

In your second and third picture, it looks like your vent line is going to the motor.

Also, don't put you vent line anywhere near you exhaust manifold.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 02-24-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for your patience and guidance. On to the next challenge!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All-
    Just got my evap line question answered above and avoided a new thread. Searching is good.
    Will someone please point me at a source for the 1/4" evap line cap part and other "one of" items.
    Thanks