BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Whitby Power brakes

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Whitby Power brakes

Has anyone used the Whitby Power brake kit. If so what is your opinion of the unit. Did you also do a hydraulic clutch as well? Thanks for any info. I am debating going with this setup vs manual brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did, very nice kit and easy to install. See pictures in Carlos C's thread called "General and coupe specific questions"
    My car is not on the road yet so can't really comment on usability.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John. Great pics. Your car is looking good as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you use the donor car drivers foot box aluminum or the wildwood one? From John's pic's it looks like the donor one. Can anyone shed some light? Whitby is so hard to get a hold of. I almost wish I di not order from him. But it is too late for that. Very poor customer service IMO.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not understand, the coupe footbaox aluminum is supplied by FFR, not the donor or Wildwood. Whitby should be easy to contact, give it another attempt.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    I do not understand, the coupe footbaox aluminum is supplied by FFR, not the donor or Wildwood. Whitby should be easy to contact, give it another attempt.
    You get 2 front drivers foot box tin's. One is to use if you are using the basic kit that uses the mustang M/C and one if you use the wildwood twin M/C. I have tried 5 times to get an answer from Whitby. They don't return calls or emails. I am just stating what is happening to me. I ordered the P/B kit and Hyd clutch slave 5 weeks ago and still have nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wait
    you will love it. I think I have installed it on 10 different cars now.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dougherty View Post
    Just wait
    you will love it. I think I have installed it on 10 different cars now.
    Mark which front alum did you use, if I may ask? I would like to coat and install it while I wait for the part.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the willwood front panel ( less holes cleaner look ) mount it.
    then drill the holes I want.
    before mounting the vac res. apply weather strip to the back of the vac res.
    this will seal from any air getting into the cockpit.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dougherty View Post
    I use the willwood front panel ( less holes cleaner look ) mount it.
    then drill the holes I want.
    before mounting the vac res. apply weather strip to the back of the vac res.
    this will seal from any air getting into the cockpit.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    An update
    I just installed the power brakes on a gen 2 coupe.
    Whitby requires the 1" tube be cut and install their replacement part ( designed for 3/4 tube ) I decided to just cut the tube at the front of the foot box move it out 3/4 inch and re weld it.
    You will also have to use a carbide burr to open the steel where the booster mounts. This takes time but remember its well worth it.
    Last edited by Mark Dougherty; 07-27-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. I will do that if I ever get the parts from Whitby.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the whitby power brake mod for a complete kit mk4. Had a haitus and back at it now.

Seems there is an issue with the mounting holes vs the brake push rod boss (that connects to brake pedal). Either I can use the bolt holes already in the plate in the frame and drill out where the pushrod boss goes thru the plate, or use the hole for the boss, and drill new mounting holes for the 4 mounting bolts. Llooks like ill have to make a paper template to get it to line up right before drillin' and cuttin the ppedal box mount llate, which also needs about a 2 1/2" hole cut in it.

Seems like a lot for a part touted as "bolt in kit".

I am going with a hydralic slave as well, will use one of the master cyls that came w the pedal box.
    Im just sayin'
    Last edited by mcwho; 11-19-2014 at 07:15 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    I got the whitby power brake mod for a complete kit mk4. Had a haitus and back at it now.

Seems there is an issue with the mounting holes vs the brake push rod boss (that connects to brake pedal). Either I can use the bolt holes already in the plate in the frame and drill out where the pushrod boss goes thru the plate, or use the hole for the boss, and drill new mounting holes for the 4 mounting bolts. Llooks like ill have to make a paper template to get it to line up right before drillin' and cuttin the ppedal box mount llate, which also needs about a 2 1/2" hole cut in it.

Seems like a lot for a part touted as "bolt in kit".

I am going with a hydralic slave as well, will use one of the master cyls that came w the pedal box.
    Im just sayin'
    I had to modify the steel plate for everything to fit. I tried to use the larger master cyl for my clutch and it would not give me enough throw. I ended up buying a 1.125 wilwood master to make my hydraulic setup work.

Post Thanks / Like
    My supplier is telling me that the Hydralic slave for the clutsh will be a 3/4 and I have no input on master size as yet except for your post. Also, I am wondering why no one has mentioned the large hole, 2" or so, plus two smaller ones that need to be cut into the pedal moount bracket. I think I' gonna look for a machine shop or someone with a cutting torch.

Did anyone also get the A/C pedal for the clutch as well, need to know how it gets mounted.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what a A/C pedal is?

Post Thanks / Like
    The A/C pedal is a replica of the brake and clutch pedals used on the originals. They have the letters stamped on the pedals, probably stands for Ace Cobra.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras