Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thall818's Father/Son build thread Chassis # 200

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it's the lowest bend in the upper firewall piece bent an additional 15-20 degrees; it should end up close to a right angle and should be pretty obvious when mocking up. There's an early build thread with a good image, but I don't remember whose it was. The lower firewall piece you move back 2.5-3", so it's just in front of the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the part of my thread where I describe what I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

I took my firewall pieces to work yesterday at the industrial park. During lunch I drove around and found a brake. Guy pointed to it and said help yourself. Knocked it out in short order and best of all, no charge. I didn't have an angle gauge so I just eyeballed the 110* angle. I'm pleased with the results. Once again, thanks to everyone for your tips. This community rocks.

TankFirewall.JPGTankFirewallSide.JPG

On another note, I finished pulling my wiring harness from the donor last night. Wow, that's a job. I stuffed it all in a bin and went to move it. That thing weighs a ton.

I'm still on the fence about the iwire harness. It would make things so much easier, but the cost. I also look at how many have used the stock harness, and that makes me think, why not?

I have more time to consider and no shortage of tasks in the meantime. I still need to put the LSD in the trans so I can get the drivetrain in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Save the wire harness diet until winter when it is to cold to work in the garage.
    My pool table came in handy last winter.
    P1040887s.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Save the wire harness diet until winter when it is to cold to work in the garage.
    My pool table came in handy last winter.
    P1040887s.jpg
    Ditto, my kids just got the pool table back. It was the perfect size and height. Great job getting the firewall bent, I'm really happy I did that too. There was no way it would be a comfy ride for me without it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope we see this at the C&C Richmond when it's ready!
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, C&C Richmond, an autocross or two, and a track day or two. That is my recipe for smile.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally painted my purple suspension

Finally got around to taking my rear suspension apart and bead blasting, painting my suspension arms. Went black. I considered red, but after looking at purple so long I just didn't want them to stand out any more. Also gave the shop a good cleaning.

IMG_2788.JPGIMG_2789.JPGIMG_2790.JPG

Made some progress on the engine. Timing belt done. TGV delete done. Perrin front pulley added. New seals and filters for the injectors. Still need to reconnect everything.

IMG_2794.JPGIMG_2795.JPG

Mocked up my dirty radiator. Noticed a tweak on the drivers side. That's where my donor was hit. Light enough that the radiator doesn't leak. I think it will work for now.

IMG_2792.JPG

Question: I'm sure I missed this, but my 2002 radiator sits like about 1 inch too high. The brackets are floating in space. Did anyone else have this problem? If I make spacers, will the body fit no prob, or will I just have to do something else?

IMG_2793.JPG

Thanks in advance for your help.

Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    I think all Impreza rads sits the same, I got an older pre-2000 (or pre-2002) version and it's the same thing. I've been told there is so much space in there you can still push the rad up more before it touches the hood.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    original frames had the radiator lower but had a problem with the inlet interfering with the steering rack, we shimmed the radiator up and used spacers at the top... some used 3d printer to make brackets Craig (mechie3) made some nice brackets, you still have an inch or so clearance to the underside of the hood
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    flip the bushing. should get you pretty close, then space it up.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    The parts I sell are essentially what you describe. It's a new bracket to hold the bushing and then a spacer to hold it up. I then just put a bolt all the way through the spacer and bracket to secure it to the frame. Pics in the link.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...el-Motorsports
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

Shifter Problem

Hey guys. I bottom mounted my shifter tonight to mock it up and check everything. It can't be right. It's indexed clockwise. The pink paint mark is like at 1:30 or 2pm. So if it just sits on the bench and you look at it from the back it leans left.

When I had it sitting on top, 1st gear would hit the steering wheel and wiper arm if the wipers were on full. Now it's caressing my leg and quite frankly, I'm not interested in snuggling while driving.

Is this normal? I already removed it and plan to go by my machine shop and have them re-index it tomorrow.

shifter 2.JPGShifter1.JPGShifter3.JPG

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...18-Shifter-mod

I swapped mine for a shorter lever but iirc mine was pointed back originally.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like

Simplest Solution is often the best

Thanks Longisland. The link gave me some ideas and things to work with.

Rather than pay someone, buy something, or take it apart, I tested my luck (and skills) and put it in our arbor press at work. I bent it to the right by only 3/4". Figured I'd take it home and try it before I went too far. No heat, so nothing had to come apart. (5 minute solution)

The result is just where I want it. since I mounted it forward and low, I used shorter spacers in front. This tilts it back centering it in the console hole. Also it helps to get the shift cables through the original holes.

At this point, I'm happy with the position of everything.

shifter Front.JPGShifterside.JPGShifterTopSide.JPG

If you look close at the first photo, you can see the "S" bend.

Post Thanks / Like

More interior work

Got a few things done. I got some aluminum sheet this week and cut new side panels to match my Boyd tank. I also decided to add a firewall between the engine and gas tank.

The most fun by far was modifying my center console. Covered in the center console thread, I used a heat gun to narrow the front of the console.

Now I need to mock up the windshield frame and mount the dash so i can get the console positioned correctly. I expect the dash to cover about the top third of the console face. I won't be using the silver plastic face, radio, or HVAC controls. Instead the plan is to make a custom face for mounting additional gauges.

Firewall.JPGSidePanel.JPGGas Pedal.JPGSqueeze.JPGZip Screws.JPG

I still need to cut holes in the firewall for tank, wiring, cables, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, the center console looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work on the center console I am hoping to do the same but I am thinking of installing a radio, heating and HVAC (a lot more research to do still) if not where I live the car would stay in the garage for best part of 5-6 months my girlfriend would not want to ride along!

I look forward to following your build with interest, thanks for sharing these details.

Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I plan to make a custom faceplate for the front and mount a 7" Samsung Galaxy tablet in there. This will be used for GPS, radio control, and hopefully DashCommand, if it will work. I know others are having trouble with the program now.

I think I need defrosters in VA to pass state inspection. I haven't crossed that bridge yet, but the controls will have to be elsewhere if/when I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thall818 View Post
    I think I need defrosters in VA to pass state inspection. I haven't crossed that bridge yet, but the controls will have to be elsewhere if/when I do.
    and windsheild wipers....
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like

Been a while...

Been a while since my last post. Moving forward at a snails pace.

First, a shout out to wleehendrick for helping me out with a lost part.

Ok, so the engine and trans are in. Shifter is connected. Clutch is connected but not bled.

Engine.JPG

I ordered an iwire harness. It hurt, but I think I'll like it. I'm in line. Should be about the end of May before I receive it.

In the meantime, it's back to the console for the final fitment. I carved some plexi and covered with blue carbon fiber wrap. The only thing I am considering now is changing out for a padded dash. I think it will add a nice touch. Anyone tried one yet?

Here are the final pics with the parking brake hooked up and the shifter functional. I had to disconnect the shift cable to get the console in. Not a hair of extra space for this console.

Side0315.JPGFull0315.JPGCarbon20315.JPG
    818S - #200

"To finish first, you must first finish"
    "If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley
    "Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Glad to help... That console looks really good!

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks fantastic! Remind me - is that the oem console?
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like an 02-04 console. Those would fit much better as they were a two piece design. My 06 is more of a one piece where the center console and the trans tunnel part all flow together design wise. Much harder to only use half and have it look good.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super job on the console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic! I love the center console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

Yep, it's a modified 02 console.
    818S - #200

"If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice finish! Too bad I couldn't do it with mine for other fitment and clearances issues. Really great idea!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I was inspired by your results and pulled my center console out of the pile of "sell" parts in the attic and plan to give it a go this week. Will post results (if successful) on my build thread as well.

Thanks for posting all the photos! Great job again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, I posted on this thread:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...center+console

Where I screwed the two sections together and then used quick grip clamps to pull in the back while I carefully heated the sides with a heat gun.

This took out the extreme flare in the passenger and drivers' footwell. Also, I cut off the mounting tabs.

Thanks guys!
    818S - #200

Post Thanks / Like

First Start, First drive

Ok, so keeping up with a build thread is not my strong suit. LOL

August 4th was the day of my first start, followed by a couple weekends out of town. Then, Thursday I took it on the first drive in the hood. I made some adjustments, suspension tweaks and alignment changes on Friday. Everything was good, so I went autocrossing on Saturday.

I have to say, it felt a little nuts. Not much test driving can be done in my hood, so it seemed a little rushed to take it out so soon, but i'm so glad I did. What a reward, wow!

IMG_4320.JPGIMG_4321.JPGIMG_4322.JPG

So now, the autocross. What can I say, wow. What a reward/motivator/inspiration. Holy cow, this thing is awesome. A refresher on my setup:

02 WRX engine, LSD, TGV delete, Cobb down pipe with high flow cat and flowmaster muffler, Stage 1 tune, Federal 595 RS-R tires

I think I could have done better if I had the car professionally aligned. I was just planning on waiting until the car is done, rather than doing it twice.

It was practice day before Sunday's main event, so there were half or less as many participants, which meant double or more the runs. We ran from 11-4. Each person had to work the track for 1:15 during the day. There were times during the day when there was virtually no line, you could finish, then go again in a matter of just a few minutes.

I am proud to say, that with the exception of working the track, I ran the car over and over and over all day long, start to finish. I gave it no mercy. If it was going to have a problem, I wanted it now before I go further.

I haven't autocrossed in year, but my times were awesome (due to the car, not the driver). The crowd loved it. They said it was great fun to watch and had a great sound. Lots of interest.

I was running at the very top of the pack. With a proper suspension setup, I'm convinced this car could dominate. (definitely would need a better driver)

Traction off the line is minimal with anything more than the slightest bit of throttle. I could induce very little oversteer. I could induce massive understeer. Toward the very end of the day I could get the rear to it's limits on one particular turn. But it was very hard to get the front to dig enough for this to occur. I think this will be corrected with a proper alignment.

Also, by the end of the day I was only running 20 lbs in the front tires and I still wasn't wearing over the edge of the flat. I just didn't want to go lower.

One thing I forgot. I have an SG3 setup for Dash Command with the Bluetooth OBD transmitter. Yeah, I left that at home. Doh!

I did, however, mount a bar so I could attach my iphone and get some video.

https://youtu.be/pWMF5d5IWXU

One day later and I'm still on cloud 9!

Next up, AWIC, then Body install. But first, the wife needs some projects done. LOL.
    818S - #200

Post Thanks / Like
    Superb looking build; congrats on the first start and double-plus good on autocrossing the car at this stage!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the first outing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Really nice with the OEM console, clean build! Can't wait to see the final result.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! But your video stabilizer makes the car look like it's driving on clouds! LOL

So apparently it was fine with the A2A intercooler? I see you are still planning to go A2W?
    Tamra
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Video stabilizer? What stabilizer. No GoPro here. I took corrugated angle and zip tied it to the roll bar, then zip tied my iPhone to the bar. Not the best, but I run what I brung.

No prob at all on the temps. I was able to do back to back to back runs with very little wait/cool down in between. There were times when there was a two car or less line. I'm convinced the car is fine in go kart mode. I'm equally convinced that the A2A intercooler won't work at all with the body.

My next step is AWIC. I'll do this before body install. I think it's a must have.

Also considering the side louvres and hump louvres. Seeing the infra red images makes me think more needs to be done to get the heat out. I wish I had access to a wind tunnel, LOL.

As far as I can see, the only real sources of ambient air are at the sides and under the car. The rear diffuser has to grab some air and bring it up, so where does that air go? Is the rear vent big enough to let it all out or does it pressurize the compartment and fight the side vents? Or maybe stated better, is air in <= air out?
    818S - #200

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have gauges so you knew what your intercooler temps were? I think the AWIC is a good idea too, but I'm curious what sort of temperatures you were seeing with the A2A with the body off.

As for the video, it looks like you used youtube's stabilizer is all I meant.
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I didn't have any gauges or bring a temp probe. I don't expect to run it again before going to AWIC.
    818S - #200

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thall818 View Post
    As far as I can see, the only real sources of ambient air are at the sides and under the car.
    How about the small top scoops on either side of the humps panel? Are they effective or low pressure prevents air from coming in the engine bay in that area?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, I never thought of that. Immediately made me think of the Countach intakes mounted high at a 45 degree angle (approx). Personally, I don't know.

I think we all look forward to someone figuring it out though.
    818S - #200

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast