Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Notice-All Who Purchased LED Taillight Mount Kit or Gen II Front Grille

Post Thanks / Like

Notice-All Who Purchased LED Taillight Mount Kit or Gen II Front Grille

First I will address the LED Taillight mounting kit. If you have purchased this from me (prior to a month ago), one of the brackets will not work for you. The main plate that the lights mount to for the passenger side will need to be replaced. I was not aware until we finished up this last Gen II with the LED tail lights, that on the outer ring of LED's....all of them light up with the park lights, but only HALF of them light up with the brake lights. So if you use the mounts as they are now, the half that lights up will all be facing the LH side of the car. If your mounts have an L and R plasma cut right into the plate, they are good-to-go. If there is no L or R plasma cut into the plate, then I owe you a RH mounting plate so when the lights are all mounted, the brake lights will illuminate the outboard portion of all the rings. Contact me thru my email address on my website and I'll take care of you.

For the Gen II Front Grille. It may cause a whistling noise at highway speeds. I am working on a solution. I just finished drawing up a revision that is pretty much exactly like the one I've been selling, but with only 4 blades instead of 5, and I slightly changed the angle of the blades. This changes the spacing between the blades as well as the spacing from the blades to the hood opening. I'm hoping that will cure the problem, but I have no way to test it here. If anyone would like to volunteer to temporarily mount this on their Gen II GTM and test drive it for me, I will work out a good deal on a front grille for you.

If you already have your grille finished and installed and have experienced a whistling noise, let me know and I'd like to see if I can develop a cure that could be simply added on to your car so that you would not have to remove the grille from the hood.

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this causes my customers! I'll try to make this right with everyone. Thanks for all of your business.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Shane,

Just you bringing these items to us let's us know you'll make good.

Question.....I have my GenII grill assembled and fitted, but I'm still building, so there's no way to know if there is a whistling produced or not. Any specific instructions for me others in my same situation?
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully soon I will have some sort of solution for those of you who already have the front grille. I have another Gen II owner who will hopefully be able to do some testing for me and give me some feedback. If I can get him fixed up with a simple solution, I will get that solution out to current owners of the front grille.

I would still like to find someone who is on the road with their Gen II that could temporarily mount my new front grille in place and test drive to see if the new version is good to go or not. With no more area than there is to it, I would suspect that you could possibly just clean the mounting area of the hood up good with some degreaser and duct tape the grille in place temporarily to see if it works or not.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Shane,

I have your front Gen II grill installed and I do have a whistling noise from about 60 mph and up. The whistle gets louder and slightly higher in pitch the faster you go. I hadn't been able to narrow down the source, but I suppose it could be from the front grill. Mine is not easily removeable ... I'll try a few things as well to see if I can remedy it. If you have any ideas, I'd be happy to test them for you.

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the middle of fitting my grill. I will have 5 different things stuffed into the grill, tow hook, 3 sensors for radar, and a front camera. Some of the blades are cut and trimmed. I guess I should continue and finnish the install as is. Or should I get ahold of you and get version 2. For the sensors, they could use a grill with wider gaps between the slats.

Thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Michael,

Shoot me an email and I'll let you know what I'd like to try. Thanks!

Fastthings,

The new grille does have more space between the blades, but I'd really like to find someone who can test it right away before I start shipping any of them out.......and without modifications to the grille or opening, which would include adding components into that opening that would not normally be there.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it looks like Michael (RumRunner) has found a solution for me. I would like to thank him for trying a variety of solutions for me and his own solution turned out to be the fix....for him at least, and hopefully will also work for everyone else here who already has the grille.

He installed a 1/2" wide strip of dynamat (I would assume that Second Skin Damplifier or similar product would also work)....butyl-backed foil.....installed on the underside trailing edge of each grille blade and that did the trick for him. If anyone would like to verify that it also works for them, that would be great so that I can confidently say that it should work for everyone. If anyone is ready to go (has the whistle and wants to try this solution) let me know and I'll send you the materials to do this. Thanks!

Shane
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to try something like this.
    Shane, any more hot tips to try?
    Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any other suggestions. Try the dynamat and let me know how it works out for you.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I will, I was trying to imagine if it was vibration, or did I build a perfect whistle out of the front of the nose. I might try some black foam tape or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's vibration that causes the whistle. I crammed some blocks in between the horizontals, no vibration/no whistle.
    Shane, if you where still looking for a solution, I think 3 parts, tying in the horizontals. As small as you could get them, just enough to lock them all together, similar to the 3 mounting parts.
    When the grill is together, if you strum the grill like a guitar, you can hear the twang, it needs to be a thud.

Post Thanks / Like
    All of the recent Gen II front grilles that I have been shipping, I have switched the horizontals from .080 alum to .125 alum. If it was a vibration issue, I would think that should take care of it....but I don't know for a fact that anyone has one on the road yet to confirm.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    definitely vibration, I put some door edge guard on the leading edges, it shifted the vibration to a much lower note. It felt like it was going to rip things apart.
    So far, I just have a piece of dowel with black tape over it stuffed in between the strakes, no movement, no vibration, no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried dynamat stuck to the bottom of the blades?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC