Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fraser D Track Performance Log

Post Thanks / Like

Fraser D Track Performance Log

I am starting this thread to log and track the progression of my GTM as both the vehicle and its driver (me) evolve and perform, (hopefully well) at my regional tracks.
    What I will document is firstly how the stock FF5 platform performs then how various upgrades improve that performance.

Engine: LS-1 Twin turbo, just shy of 650rwhp
    Transaxle: G50-20 out of a 1995 993, stock gearing but beefed up bits.

My setup is stock FF5/Corvette with the exception of poly bushes on the control arms only and aftermarket brake disks.
    Total car weight with full tanks = 2540lbs
    Front 960lbs - Rear 1580lbs
    Ride height is set at 4 1/2"
    Tires are Toyo Proxes 888:
    Front 275/40/ZR17-98W
    Rear 335/30/ZR18-102Y

Alignment figures are:
    Left Front Right Front
    Camber -1.5 Camber -1.2
    Caster 0.4 Caster 0.8
    Toe 0.05 Toe 0.05
    Front
    Cross Camber -0.2
    Cross Caster -0.4
    Cross Toe 0.1
    Set Back -0.06
    Left Rear Right Rear
    Camber -1.1 Camber -1.6
    Toe -0.03 Toe -0.03
    Rear
    Total Toe -0.07
    Thrust Angle 0.00

Last Wednesday I had the GTM out at the track to see how things have progressed since my last visit to MSR.
    Car ran well and felt more sorted as a package after getting the suspension setup closer to where it needs to be and the engine mods that I did over Christmas. The car actually felt very stable and a couple of times I was able to feel the traction balance point on one of the sweeping left handers. The organizers ran me with the advanced group based on my pervious run with them and I was happy to find myself running about mid pack for only my second time at a track period. My driving experience is with drag racing and dirt ovals.
    Only real issues are the engine overpowering the clutch and the new alignment settings are causing some front left tire rub on the hood latch molding of the body.
    Being forced to gently feed in power made me concentrate on the racing line which was actually a good thing for my learning curve as a driver. So no crazy top end speeds down the straights but I still managed to drop about 17 sec per lap off of my previous best time at MSR running in CW orientation.
    Track day Stats:
    Top Speed ; 118mph (had to nurse the clutch but was getting around 150mph last time out)
    Average Speed: 75mph
    Best time: 1.57
    Lateral G’s 1.14
    Linier G’s 0.76

Gopro from my last session:
    http://youtu.be/eMtZ8nxyexw
    Friend’s cell phone of pit straight
    http://youtu.be/19oCc7i1WvE
    Future plans:
    Get the clutch replaced and look to get more track time before making suspension or alignment changes as right now I am not pushing the car hard enough to see where the first performance weakness is. What excites me is identifying and measuring performance gains to see what changes do what and why.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    I am starting this thread to log and track the progression of my GTM as both the vehicle and its driver (me) evolve and perform, (hopefully well) at my regional tracks.
    What I will document is firstly how the stock FF5 platform performs then how various upgrades improve that performance.
    AWESOME DAVE!!

Love it! Great idea. Thanks for sharing your experience. It will help me and I am sure it will help others.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    So glad to see you and John doing this, I'm sure it's going to help others (including myself) to build a better car. I'm planning on some track time too when i get mine finished and the info you guys are providing through experimentation will help tremendously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!
    As I am not racing for sheep stations, sharing my set up, progress and lessons learned as is John, there is only an upside.

Tire wear looks to be uniform accross the faces and fairly consistant on all four tires.
    Cheers,
    Dave

2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!
    As I am not racing for sheep stations
    I have heard of racing for the pinks, for the whole nine yards, for the distance, heck I've even used racing for kicks and giggles, but sheep stations! WTF does that mean

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Dave,

Too bad about the clutch. What do you have now and what kind do you plan on the upgrade? Your car sounded great on the straight! I will definitely follow this thread even though I don't have a GTM. Thanks a lot, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    I have heard of racing for the pinks, for the whole nine yards, for the distance, heck I've even used racing for kicks and giggles, but sheep stations! WTF does that mean

Ron
    Ron,

Just a little Aussie slang :-)

"The phrase is a traditional Australian English term to denote something large and/or important. A sheep station is a large sheep farm in Australia or New Zealand.

The phrase 'playing for sheep stations' has both a literal and ironic usage. Literally, it is used to encourage participants to play in a friendly and not too competitive manner. Playing sport or cards or a game of some sort, but not for prizes, one might say 'take it easy, we're not playing for sheep stations'. It could be used starting a game of cards or pool for example, to check whether the game would be played for money, beer, or just pride, asking 'so, are we playing for sheep stations or what?'

In typical Australian fashion, it can also be used to mean the exact opposite, because a sheep station is such a ridiculously expensive item that nobody would bet it on a game, the phrase 'we're playing for sheep stations' can also be used to mean that the game is purely for sport, and there is no bet or prize involved."

We can be a confusing bunch.........
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Hi Dave,

Too bad about the clutch. What do you have now and what kind do you plan on the upgrade? Your car sounded great on the straight! I will definitely follow this thread even though I don't have a GTM. Thanks a lot, WEK.
    I am currently running a Sachs single disc, solid center clutch rated for around 770ish ft/lbs. I will pull the numbers off of it when get it out.
    It worked great when I only had 510hp to the tires and even put up a valiant effort when I stepped up the combination. Not sure what I will go with but when I get a short list I will be asking for feedback.
    Cheers,
    Dave

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ron... think of Dave's "sheep station" comment as him saying since he's not betting the ranch on the data he's happy to share...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or maybe he IS betting the ranch!? I'm confused

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are seeing more than 1 lateral G I would pay attention to the rear toe link mounts sooner rather than later. That's a lot of load for those rear links in stock form.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugly_Old_Cowboy View Post
    Ron... think of Dave's "sheep station" comment as him saying since he's not betting the ranch on the data he's happy to share...
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    Or maybe he IS betting the ranch!? I'm confused
    Well at least he's not buying the farm

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

This will definitely be a great thread and an asset to all of us in setting up our GTMs.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    If you are seeing more than 1 lateral G I would pay attention to the rear toe link mounts sooner rather than later. That's a lot of load for those rear links in stock form.
    Mike,
    Thanks and I will address this while I have the transaxle out during the clutch swap.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    This short vid was e-mailed to me tonight.

http://youtu.be/Xxjop0hpjds
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    The UPS guy brought me a present today!
    The last pieces for the clutch upgrade.
    The new items are capable of handling 850ft/lbs at the flywheel.
    • G50-52 90+ Porsche Race Pressure Plate
    • 6 Pad 240mm spring Center Clutch Disc “H” for 90+ G50
    • LS1 to G50 Flywheel without ring gear
    • New pilot bearing
    • New flywheen bolts
    • New pressure plate bolts
    After talking to a few other manufacturers I found the folks at KEP to be far more knowledgeable regarding what their products would handle in different combinations and after some discussion settled on this combination.
    KEP suggested that as I still drive the car on the street that I should go with the sprung center. More drivable in traffic, a little easier on an already maxed out transaxle and, (I am not sure how to feel about this statement) I will not notice the difference in performance at the track .
    As the engine is driving through the current clutch it was not worth the risk of re facing the original flywheel so I purchased a new one minus the starter gear, (saving of about $150).
    The plan is to swap out the clutch over the next two weekends, then replace the turbo’s with a slightly different set up before heading back to the tuners.
    I am slowly working through my list, which is in no particular order.
    • Replace clutch, (well almost)
    • Replace turbos
    • Install front sway bar
    • Upgrade rear brakes
    • Upgrade front brakes
    • Upgrade front shocks
    • Install rear sway bar
    • Upgrade rear shocks
    • Install dry sump
    • Replace plastic tanks with ally unit.
    • Upgrade fuel pump
    • Upgrade chassis to SCCA spec
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Before pulling the transaxle I looked at what had been done to stiffen up the toe link mounting point but found that what had been done for the Mendeola transaxle does not translate to the G50-20 that I have, due to the location and size of the starter.
    So I did what I could by adding material to reduce the rotation of the toe link bracket.
    A step forward but not a final solution.
    Anyway the 6 paddle clutch and 850ft/lbs pressure plate is in with all new hardware and components from the flywheel out.
    The plan is to drop the transaxle back in tomorrow after replacing the input shaft seal. What a pain in the butt that was.
    Without knowing the size it was a Porsche dealer only part and even then it was special order.
    It turns out that the input shaft seal was leaking a little and some of that high $ transaxle oil made its way onto the clutch. Regardless of if too much HP caused the clutch to fail or some trans oil it was on borrowed time and needed to be upgraded.
    I have checked all backlash #'s etc and all is within factory spec.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Back from my Christmas travels so it’s time to get serious.
    Today’s progress got the transaxle stabbed in and bolted up so the hard part is done with the tedious work remaining.
    I picked up this sign to hang in the shed to provide inspiration….. Not sure why this reminds me of Ron……
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Back from my Christmas travels so it’s time to get serious.
    Today’s progress got the transaxle stabbed in and bolted up so the hard part is done with the tedious work remaining.
    I picked up this sign to hang in the shed to provide inspiration….. Not sure why this reminds me of Ron……
    Gee Dave I don't know what your talking about Lol

BTW: Nice work on the Transaxle, like how you put a coat of color on it to make it look pretty, or is the black to hide the oil spillage

Either way give yourself a big ole hand, hoist an adult beverage, and don't forget the most important part when you do a job well done.....
    Sun Maid Raisin Pie.jpg

Keep wrenching

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    My new snails arrived today
    Precision Turbo 5858 series journal bearing turbo’s
    PTB505-5858 TH5858A
    Compressor;
    4" ported inlet
    2 1/2" outlet
    AR70
    Turbine;
    T-4 inlet
    3" V-band outlet
    AR58
    The theory according to Precision is to get the turbo's fully spooled up ahead of the RPM range that I want to use on the track to keep the power track friendly.
    Currently that is 3000-6400rpm.
    Back to the dyno this weekend then off to the next track day. Unfortunately that wont be TWS before it closes for good. I have been trying to get registered for the remaining days but it has been selling out in the first 3-5 minutes in the novice class.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    The exhaust for the new turbos is almost complete.
    Both runs have been tacked together and when I get some more Argon for my TIG I will finish them off before wrapping.
    The big change is that I have added flex sections in both the 3” exhaust as well as the 1 ˝” tubing coming off the waste gates as well as a flexible clamp being added at the back of the wheel well to help support the assembly.
    “High flow Cats” where added while the saw was out as the annual inspection requires that I have them but it does not require an emissions test.
    My goal is to start the engine this coming weekend for a safe tune to be uploaded before taking it to the tuners.
    The odd part is that I am looking forward to finally being able to work through the suspension upgrades and set up.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    New exhaust fab’d and wrapped.
    New pressure side completed from the compressor to the intercoolers.
    Added flex joints, cats and rear mount to the exhaust.
    Started engine and heat cycled the turbo's so that I can re-torque everything in the morning.
    Still waiting on new hot-side bags.
    The new turbo's pull some air even at idle. So far very happy with the upgrade.
    Next step is the dyno then the track to see if the change in direction is the right one.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing special just heat cycling the new install.

https://youtu.be/BWWzL67uSGM
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice neat install Dave. If it works half as well as it looks ur going to be in good shape. Lots of hours invested there. Now the thrill of testing begins!

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice new Snails you got there my man, sounds great

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron/John,
    It seems like I have been stuck in build mode without much payoff so I am looking forward to getting a few track sessions in this summer before I upgrade the chassis over the Christmas break.
    This season the focus is on suspension, handling, seat time and a few driving lessons from folks who know what they are doing.
    The plan for the end of next year is a short stroke engine, dry sump and an upgraded transaxle.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    An update for this thread is long overdue!
    Industry down turn as well as work commitments plus starting a new business have reduced my toy money to almost zero $.
    I had struggled to find a shop that could rise to the challenge of setting up the suspension of a GTM while using shims instead of cams.
    The car was sent to a reputable exotic car shop that made promises but failed to deliver, in fact they actually gave me back a car that was unsafe to drive.
    I eventually found a shop that had experience setting up pro race cars and was willing to work with me to get the car set up.
    Upgrades in the last 12 months are:
    QA1 double adjustable shocks
    New HD rear hubs
    800lbs rear springs
    600lbs front springs
    Adjustable upper front control arms
    Replaced control arm cam adjusters with shims
    Adjustable brake bias
    Chassis is sitting right at 4 ˝” front and rear

Alignment settings
    Front Left Front Right
    Camber -3.6 -3.5
    Caster 7.3 7.4
    Toe 0.0 -0.01

Rear Left Rear Right
    Camber -2.8 -2.9
    Toe -0.05 -0.05
    Dyno session is planned soon to set up the speed density map then hopefully off to the track before the end of the year.
    I can already tell that the car is planted and likes power in a corner but this is not at track speeds yet.
    Last edited by Fraser D; 11-05-2016 at 10:30 PM.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dave very nice update. I like how you keep improving your ride. Now you' be careful when you throw into the corners, with the new handling, like Crash and John have said, when a GTM breaks loose, you got very small window to recovering. I'm a strong believer in traction control management device, but then again some call me a wuss

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Very wise words especially for a turbo car that makes full boost very early in the RPM range.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    This weekend I broke my self imposed hiatus from running my car at the track.
    I could have chosen a better weekend but like a true track junkie, after two and a half years, I needed a fix ... bad!
    Since my last outing I had been sneaking up on a few changes and was keen to see how they worked out;
    - New turbo's
    - Bump steer elimination, front and rear
    - Adjustable (Mike) front upper control arms, (freak'n awesome!!)
    - QA1 double adjustable shocks, (still playing but very impressed so far)
    - Heavier springs front and rear, (made a huge difference)
    - Changed to a speed density tune
    - After wading through a river of BS a proper alignment, (see previous post in this thread).
    - A last minute front splitter replacement after removing the original FFR CF unit while loading onto the trailer :-(
    It was an overcast day and the heavy drizzle soon moved in along with the wind. I took it easy the first two sessions on an almost empty track and played around with different braking points, lines, speeds and with brake bias settings. Found out that the engine tune still needs a little tweaking after a map sensor replacement a couple of days prior, (another story, for another time).
    With the stiffer suspension more is being asked from the tires and the old set of 888's that I have were lacking.
    Anyway I had a blast as you will see in the 2nd video it does not take much in light rain to have an event.... the corner in question, the car basically pushed through the corner and all that it took was for one front tire to leave the track and it was all over. Mid engine cars snap around very quickly with not many options for the driver once it starts to go.
    The car is perfectly ok and I just came in as a precaution.
    My apologies for the video quality as the camera kept focusing on the rain on the windshield.
    BTW I found out that GoPro cameras mounted externally tend to move around above 140mph. I have a few vids before the rain settled in of the sky after a couple of laps.

https://youtu.be/xcveN8ohZcs
    https://youtu.be/_gBe8vROXp8
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    With my spare time being taken up with a new business, my daytime job and family commitments I have reluctantly decided to sell my GTM.
    As I had built it with a focus more on the track I had not bothered with the items that someone mostly driving on the street would be looking for, like, AC, carpet etc.
    So it’s back to the shed temporarily to make some upgrades that whoever buys it will enjoy.
    A full spec sheet will be posted as I finish up prepping the car for sale.

I did a lot of research on installing the door glass, (and a chat with the always helpful Ron), and determined that the best approach was to not even try to get the original FF5 set up to work.
    The door bars were cut out and moved about 1” closer to the inside door trim panel. This allowed a lot of flexibility to get the window rails shimmed and aligned.
    The plan is to use a hybrid version of the “Rumrunner” method for achieving a good seal against the body.
    I have included a photo of the aluminum pieces that will be bonded and shaped once I am happy with the door and window alignment.
    As for the sealing material, I am still trying to determine if I need to use 3/8” or ˝” bulb seal, or a combination of both.
    The ˝” seems a little bulky for a “captured” seal. Any suggestions?

One of the downsides to having a custom front end is that I had to make a custom AC.
    This has been sorted now so all that is left is to pull it back apart and powder coat the brackets etc and fill it up with gas.
    I think that it came out looking pretty neat.

More updates to follow.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not get to spend as much time working on the windows as I wanted to this weekend but made some progress.
    The driver’s side door bars were cut and moved out towards the door trim as far as the trim would allow and reinforced. Same as the passenger side. I was able to get the window very close to where it needs to be, adjustment wise, before the regulator had an internal hemorrhage, (new one is still a week away from delivery.
    I cut and re-glassed the B-Pillar but when I released the tape it sprung back just a little bit, so it needs to be recut and redone.
    With some tweaking the seal frame allows both the A & B – pillars to tuck inside and contact the seal. The seal frame was temporarily secured with self-tapping screws and bonded with 8115, with pop-rivets used to give a little more strength after the screws were removed.
    I used glass reinforced filler to fill the gaps and provide a good base for normal filler.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    An update on the door windows.
    I thought that it would be easier to do a quick video rather than a bunch of photos.
    The drivers side is pretty much done other than a little more tweaking and then smoothing out with some body filler.
    Does anyone have a good part number for the felt window wipers?
    Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/xUfWWANv138
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the planned one week away for work ended up being two and in that time I realized that the process of carbon fiber wrapping takes about 3-4 days. So time to start multi tasking on the interior while I finish off the doors.
    Not having any experience doing this I was concerned with getting the twill to conform to the different contours of the center console and door cards so I purchased some 6oz 2x2. I started with the waterfall as it is the easiest shape but I am starting to think that I went a little light on the cloth weight. The 6oz was very difficult to keep from distorting under its own weight. I think when its all said and done it will look just fine but it will need to be a two + person job to lay down the cloth.
    I will start laying down the clear resin in the morning on the waterfall and start on the center console piece in between working on the doors.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Screenshot (30).png

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the part number.
    Looks like I would need to add a backing strip to support the seal.
    I will need to do some research on the best way to do that.
    Cheers,
    Dave