Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Center Console

Post Thanks / Like

Center Console

Just received the fiberglass center console for my 818 (back ordered since Apr.). It seems to be such an awkward design. Trial fitting it shows that the bottom doesn't even touch the floor, and it is very wide - intruding on foot space. Anyone have one installed with pics? Maybe my initial reaction is way out of line. Or, is anyone modifying it to fit better - less intrusive?

Post Thanks / Like
    I came to the same conclusion, I have decided to either build mine custom, or order the new design from FFR. I tried to make it work, but I could not get it to fit where it would work for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I saw that FFR had changed the console piece. Can you post a photo so we can know which one you have? Mine was 1-piece fiberglass and didn't fit so I have cut it to modify but not finished yet.

Anyone got a photo of the new design?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got mine a few weeks ago, and I got aluminum pieces for my center console. Is this an add-on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is one piece black gel coat fiberglass. Forward lower part is a full 12 inches wide. I don't know why it is so wide. Your feet will slide right beneath it when it is mounted. Crazy design. I may cut it all up and modify.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone got a photo of the new aluminum pieces that FFR has shipped for the center console? It will probably show me how to modify my early black fiberglass version. Thanks.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hijack, but could someone tell me what the width of the top front part of the center console is? I'm thinking of putting in a screen on the front-most part and was wondering what the biggest screen that could fit is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    I just got mine a few weeks ago, and I got aluminum pieces for my center console. Is this an add-on?
    Not an add-on, I've been told it's the new design since end of April (when I got my kit). I think I have a pic on my build thread, not sure.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Speedy, the top of the console is 5 3/8" wide with the aluminum mounted over the steel frame. From the top of the console to the bottom of the dash you could make it as wide as you like so about any tablet would fit, at least that's what I'm planning.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning on a tablet as well, it will be my only ignition/start location! Probably a 7-8in tablet, don't need it to be very large. I wonder if these things can support heat and direct sunlight for a long sustained period of time. Not a problem as important as in some States, but if it can support 1h at 90F without slowing down its cpu, then it's fine.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember I'll take a pic of it when I mock it up since I'm mocking up all panels before drilling
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkw8181 View Post
    If I remember I'll take a pic of it when I mock it up since I'm mocking up all panels before drilling
    And????? I'd like to see it, please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone got a pic of the new aluminum console panel(s)?

Post Thanks / Like

Console & Tunnel

I cut the center (top) out of the ffr tunnel and riveted only the sides to the chassis.
    Got an Al cap bent which fitted over the tunnel and secured it with rivnuts.....reasoning that i may have to get at the wiring etc. "at some time".
    I used a piece of the cap as the front of the center console, so it is exactly as wide as the tunnel. It is also secured with rivnuts and flanged button head screws.
    I made side plates from Al sheet which are also secured with rivnuts and screws.

At this stage I have only fitted a wide band A/F. It is in the upper right hand and just under the dash (when fitted) I can see it clearly in that position. Any further to the left ad the steering wheel obscures it.

I have easy access to add more or run/fix wires etc.

Not a good photo...sorry!

Console.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    CenterConsole.JPG

I intentionally left out the right side panel just to keep you guessing. LOL!

Glad I dug them out. Unfortunately, it takes some flexibility out of mounting my shifter. Now it goes in the hole or I make something new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thall818 View Post
    CenterConsole.JPG

I intentionally left out the right side panel just to keep you guessing. LOL!

Glad I dug them out. Unfortunately, it takes some flexibility out of mounting my shifter. Now it goes in the hole or I make something new.
    Interesting...thanks
    fred

Post Thanks / Like
    That is WAY better than the fiberglass "Hulk" unit I received.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the fiberglass piece. At first glance, I pretty much decided it would need trimmed as it gets too big towards the back (front of cockpit). Yet, it is narrow up front. The more I think about it, the more I think I just might be fabricating my own piece that doesn't get much wider as you go back (forward), but rather wider as you go up, so I can fit a radio and A/C controls.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    That is WAY better than the fiberglass "Hulk" unit I received.
    How does it look like, Chad? An pic in a thread somewhere?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    3 posts up Frank!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freds View Post
    That's the FB console?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    That's the FB console?
    No it is the FS console...(that's me haha). I too actually hated the supplied FFR fiber glass console and tunnel cover. Here's what I did:
    1. I cut off the top of the tunnel.
    2. I used only the sides.
    3. I had extra material from my engine firewall, so I got a sheet metal shop to bend a cover/cap for the length of the tunnel which I installed with rivnuts and button heads...so that I can easily remove it if I need to access the wiring/shifter cables.
    4. The bent piece was longer than the cap needed, so I used the off-cut to make the console...which extends to the top chassis cross-member for strong anchoring. (As opposed to the FFR which they specify to be riveted to the dash)
    5. Because I eliminated the dash support provided by the FFR console, I made a third lower dash support fixed to the chassis cross member with a rivnut, exactly like the two FFR supplied supports. ....
    6. I made the additional side covers from the same surplus firewall material I had.

That's the whole story, possibly more than you really wanted to know...Ah well

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    How does it look like, Chad? An pic in a thread somewhere?
    This is the Monstrosity- Its not going in my car!

Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at Chad's pic and what freds did, I am glad I have the alu console, for which btw I have a spare console, I got the part twice. If anyone's interested. I can take a pic of the part I got twice.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I went to try to mock up the shifter and center console so I know how much room I will have running the brake lines a electrical down the center and I don't have the fiberglass piece that is pictured in the main manual 1F and I don't have the aluminum console pictured in update 1J and I don't have the shift boot plate cover, I guess I'll have to call FFR.

Called FFR and answer I got was that the R (since the R is a race car FFR says you don't need it) does not come with a console (anymore? as it seems some folks got one) and if I want the aluminum one (they don't make the fiberglass one anymore) I will have to purchase the aluminum, this seems odd as that forward tunnel area is just all exposed on the R. I'm not a happy camper.
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 09-24-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Since many seem unhappy with the fiberglass piece, there will likely be someone who won't want to use it and send you theirs. I'm likely in that camp myself, just haven't nailed down my plan yet. At the very least, it was going to see some serious trimming to tuck it further under the dash. Sorry about your experience.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of center consoles, I'm experimenting w/ making the OEM one work. With that being said, I need an 02 shift boot/shifter cover and the NON-extended center console lid. Anyone have these parts that they don't need anymore?

Post Thanks / Like
    100_1786.jpgI modified the arm rest/storage compartment from my '02 donor to use on the 818. It goes from the firewall - between the seats - forward to just a little over the e-brake.
    Last edited by tmoretta; 11-02-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guns, I'm with you. I've been mocking up all the aluminum and I'm just not satisfied. What I dislike the most are the shift and e-brake boots. They just look wrong in the holes. I was planning on covering the console in vinyl, but it still won't be at a level that I want it.

I'm going to try and adapt the original console. Hope that works otherwise I have to go to plan C.

If anyone has pics of a finished console, please post them. Also, any ideas for plan C?

Post Thanks / Like

Going with the Subaru Center console

center console.jpg

This is going to work. Couple of notes:

1) With where my shifter is positioned, it would need to be trimmed in the rear to use the stock tank

2) The armrest lid is hard to open. Registration and insurance are going to be the only thing in there.

3) The forward flange looks like it should be in the way of my foot/gas pedal, but it isn't. To catch my foot I have to raise my knee to an awkward position. The side angle of the console is perfect for my leg to rest(smooth, no edges). I removed the rear metal bracket and found that can pull in the rear close to an inch. I will do this and lop off the tabs/do some trimming to give it a more natural appearance.

4) I will notch the dash to fit over the radio console. The dash will cover maybe the top third. (Hard to tell). I plan to buy a piece of carbon fiber (or something) to fill the radio panel, then add gauges or whatever.

5) Everything is tight. If my seats were on sliders, this wouldn't be practical.

6) There is room for seat belts. Just enough. No problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a fiberglass one someone can have for shipping
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like

Modded Subaru center console

I made great progress on the center console idea yesterday.

Since the base and radio section aren't actually connected, I decided I needed to connect them before I started making my mods

Zip Screws.JPG

I just used self tapping sheet metal screws

Then I cut off the stock mounting tabs at the back of the radio console using a hacksaw and applied pressure to pull the back of the console together

Squeeze.JPG

Once I had it tight enough, I used a heat gun (on the unfinished side of course) and softened the plastic until it did what I wanted. Then, I tightened the clamp and did it some more. During the tab cutting process I screwed up and dragged the hacksaw blade across the finished side of the console, leaving a 3" white scuff. I hit that with the heat gun for all of 2-3 seconds and it disappeared as well.

The end result was to pull the back of the console together about 4". One tested, I felt no need to go any further.

Gas Pedal.JPG

Very happy with the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting! I only got the lower portion with e-brake and box and I was intended to use it. Wrapped in faux suede.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like

I've hijacked this thread

OK, I admit it, I've hijacked this thread. I'm having a dork moment. I'm super excited about this.

I do not have a quarter of an inch to play with anywhere. The shifter does not hit plastic when it's pulled all the way back. The dash lip barely sits on the windshield. I will need one rivet in each corner to pull the dash back just a hair so it stays on there. The good news is that it covers the steering shaft. Like I said, it's tight all around, but the console is firmly locked in.

The bottom of the dash is spaced out 1.5" in order to make it work.
    Complete.JPGDashTop.JPGOver wheel.JPGspacer.JPG

Now I need to get the parking brake in and the faceplate made for the console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work. I have the 06 with integrated pieces, not sure how much work that would be.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Nice work. I have the 06 with integrated pieces, not sure how much work that would be.
    OK, so how much to do it in CF?