Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: San Diego builds, One the easy way, one the hard way

Post Thanks / Like

San Diego builds, One the easy way, one the hard way

I'll post up mostly my 818 build; the easy way. I'm also building one with my boss; the hard way. I say hard way, but its more of a really "involved" way. He is heavily modifying the chassis and body.

Back to mine...
    Started with a 06 Impreza 5 speed. But I'm lucky enough to have a 2006 WRX motor available.

06 impreza 200k.jpg08-IMG_8443.jpg09-IMG_8451.jpg11-IMG_8473.jpg13-IMG_8705.jpg

My kit should be delivered in July '14.

The "Hard" way:
    15-IMG_8735.jpg There are 5 2010 to 2013 STI motors in this room.
    17-IMG_9239 (1).jpg18-IMG_9241.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Where in S.D. are you? Congrats, pretty cool. I'm sure the boss man will kick down some of his mods for you

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good to have some company down here! I live in Encinitas, and am building in San Marcos.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Hard Way is being built right now in Mira Mesa. I'm building mine in Ramona.
    1-IMG_8791.JPG2-IMG_8792.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post

Woa you weren't kidding! You need to elaborate on the "hard way"... what are you doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    now that's a wrench...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the large wrench was to tighten the ball joint. As others have pointed out; it can be very tight.

In the pictures above the frame is being prepped to stretch it 3" longer.
    We put the seat in with tank, without tank, took lots of measurements and compared them to a late model 911. We all agreed that the car will fit a 5'10" guy just right. The owner of the Hard Way is a big 6'2" guy, so the car is getting longer. This is all with a big, wide and comfortable seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the large wrench was to tighten the ball joint. As others have pointed out; it can be very tight.

In the pictures above the frame is being prepped to stretch it 3" longer.
    We put the seat in with tank, without tank, took lots of measurements and compared them to a late model 911. We all agreed that the car will fit a 5'10" guy just right. The owner of the Hard Way is a big 6'2" guy, so the car is getting longer. This is all with a big, wide and comfortable seat.
    does he realize he can make the seat much much lower, and move it further back with either a slimmer tank, or moving the tank...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
    does he realize he can make the seat much much lower, and move it further back with either a slimmer tank, or moving the tank...?
    Did you miss the thread title? The Hard Way. Just kidding.
    I'm posting pictures and descriptions for general interest and the WOW factor. Much of what will be done to this car will not be done to mine or any others. He likes to leave his mark and make things his way. I enjoy seeing what he does, I just thought I would share.

We have tanks, moved tanks, seat has no hardware on it, etc, etc.
    He wanted it the car longer. <---- Bottom Line.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if one of these have been posted... So I'll put this up so others can see what to expect...
    1-IMG_8780.JPG

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any concern with extending the wheelbase, that it could dramatically change handling/turn in of the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    Is there any concern with extending the wheelbase, that it could dramatically change handling/turn in of the car?
    I'll let you know when we get both done.

Post Thanks / Like
    1-IMG_8901.JPG

Its now 4" longer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very true, you will have a stock wheelbase chassis to compare to. I'm curious myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is the roll bar? Has it been removed to be heightened as well?

BC

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the roll bar was also cut off/out. He wants to make it a little higher and maybe put some bends in to match the humps over the engine cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    This will be fun to watch! Please keep posting photos.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    This will be fun to watch! Please keep posting photos.
    O.K. here are a few recent pictures...
    We bolted a few parts to the long block built by AJW. The Long block is very clean and appears to be a top quality build. Its a pleasure to work on.

1-IMG_8902.JPG2-IMG_8903.JPG3-IMG_8904.JPG4-IMG_8905.JPG5-IMG_8906.JPG

This other motor is the first one that we built in-house. The parts (pistons, connecting rods, etc) all came in boxes that looked like jewelry should be in them.
    7-IMG_8908.JPG
    Last edited by matteo92065; 06-19-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: had pictures in wrong order

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of running with the "U" shaped bypass hose for the heater core we modified the coolant manifolds. This not only eliminates the additional bypass hose, but also eliminates much of the OEM steel coolant manifolds.
    Not this:
    cooling bypass.jpg

THIS:
    10-IMG_8927.JPG 11-IMG_8926.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by matteo92065; 07-16-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been Cadmium Plating all the steel parts and fasteners to give the car that "new" look.
    Before:
    08-IMG_8737.JPG
    After:
    09-IMG_8929.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    The "hard way" wiring is really challenging for me.
    We are putting in a 2011 STI motor with DAVS. So we can either put in a 2008+ ECU, with gauge cluster, immobilizer, wiring harnesses (way more complicated than a 2006 WRX system),or I can use a Hydra stand alone ECU that is designed for a 2006 harness, then splice in the B21 plug for the motor. The Hydra was programmed to control the additional cams.
    B21.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Hard Way Shifter

The owner wanted to put in a Carrera GT style shifter. The shift knob is about the same height as steering wheel, it is angled, and the area below would be open.
    carrera gt.jpeg

We are using a 1st Gen MR2 shifter and reworking the linkage on the transmission. Both cables will be parallel all the way to the back where there will be a rocker arm for the twisting motion. We just finished the 3-D printed version, the final aluminum one should be done next week. So far it looks like we will have to get new morse cables that are about 7-8' shorter. It really opens up more options for a rear trunk too.

1-carrera shifter 2.JPG2-carrera shifter 1.JPG3-carrera shifter 3.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy My car is still not here!

I arranged shipping with Stewart just over a month ago. Communications is sparse at best with them. My first delivery date came and went with no car, no phone call and no email. I finally called them and they said, "sorry our trailer is broken". I know its a whole car and all, but an update and an eta would be very comforting. I guess I am spoiled by UPS & FedEX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Don't feel left out. Most of us played the waiting game with Stewart. Mine arrived 4 weeks late but in Stewarts defense there was some severe weather going on and they had a rig down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just be patient until the driver calls, anything else you hear is -um creative. Sorry, that's the way it seems to work. I wrote a rant about it a while ago, and like Brando says, most of us have had the same experience.

Yes, the communication situation is awful and yes it sucks, but truly once the car is in your garage it doesn't much matter. Hang in there.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like one of their trucks is always down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was "Pushed Back" a day because the driver wanted to watch the Green Bay FB game....
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I arranged shipping with Stewart just over a month ago. Communications is sparse at best with them. My first delivery date came and went with no car, no phone call and no email. I finally called them and they said, "sorry our trailer is broken". I know its a whole car and all, but an update and an eta would be very comforting. I guess I am spoiled by UPS & FedEX.
    They were pretty flakey back when we tried to deal with them 8 years ago too.

When all of a sudden the quoted price more than doubled, we said "see ya" to their mickey mouse operation and never looked back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a lot depends on where they have to deliver cars. The driver who delivered mine lives in Phoenix so his layover there was longer because he wanted to be home for a while. They can fit eight cars in the trailer and they wont head out west without a full load as they already have to return empty. It's just the logistics of the specialized transportation. If you want to save time you can always have it crated and shipped by another courier. I waited eleven moths for my kit so anther five weeks didn't kill me. PS I called the dispatch once a week after 3 weeks just to keep updated. Its your stuff so you need to watch it.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my car! #222

It took longer than I thought it should, but it is here. I have number 222. easy to remember.
    07-IMG_9019.JPG08-IMG_9029.JPG

I like seeing all the different build locations and conditions that other people have posted. So here is mine.

09-IMG_9031.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats! I better get my butt in gear and finish up #52. I've had my kit long enough it would be embarrassing not to be the first one done in S.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Shift linkage is working

Finished the shift linkage on the 'Hard way'. The new shift cables are 95" long.
    First one done with 3-D printer
    01-IMG_9013.JPG

Close to final product. I am looking forward to driving it. I want to see what it feels like.
    03-IMG_9024.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Very clever improved shift cable lever! Are you using the FFR-supplied shifter or the K-Tuned shifter?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    That turned out awesome. Where did you get all of the shifter cable components, like the rod ends?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Very clever improved shift cable lever! Are you using the FFR-supplied shifter or the K-Tuned shifter?
    Neither, using a Gen 1 MR2 shifter. It has the cables entering from the rear of the car, so the cables take more of a direct route to the transmission.
    post #22 has some pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work on the linkage. I prototyped one months ago and then life got busy. I like the red rod ends.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    That turned out awesome. Where did you get all of the shifter cable components, like the rod ends?
    From McMaster Carr part number on the rod ends: 60685K721

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Nice work on the linkage. I prototyped one months ago and then life got busy. I like the red rod ends.
    Thanks! We were going after the same thing. Are you going to pursue your version (see Mechie3 build post #856)? You've indirectly helped me so much on my wiring 11880-Wiring-Guide-06-WRX-Sedan-with-Auto-AC-HVAC, that I'd like to offer you my SolidWorks files to get you going on it again.

Post Thanks / Like

2nd night of ownership and its a roller

Its been two nights and I really wanted a roller.
    1-4wheels 2.JPG

On the steering... I ended up with aluminum a-arms, and I think a '06 WRX wagon steering rack. QUESTION: What holes do I use on the frame? I put them on the outer most street holes and the tires were really towed IN. I've adjusted the rod ends on the rack about an inch on both sides. Is that too much?? Its seems to me that I could simply use the inner holes on the frame and not adjusted anything. I have two other racks and will measure the center to center distances on them, and I will look at how much thread is left in the rod end.

I looked at the 'hard way' and his is the same as mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK, Aluminum arms only came on WRX/STi sedans with a wider track (and fender flares), so those should mount to the inner most set of holes. The outer set of holes are for stock WRX wagon/Impreza (steel) arms for narrower track bodies. My donor's a 06 WRX wagon, and I used the black steel LCAs on the outer holes. The idea being to put the hubs in the same spot on the 818 regardless of which LCAs are used.
    Last edited by wleehendrick; 08-14-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: correction

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast