FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: head gasket question

Post Thanks / Like

head gasket question

Probably an obvious answer but why does the block have large triangular shaped water jacket ports but the head gasket (FelPro) are small holes?

If you were to slide the gasket up then you can see what I mean?

And, please confirm the three central short head bolts need RTV as they are the water jacket bolts?

Also, with a new oil pump do I need to help prime it by filling the pump rotor with vaseline or I am just dreaming that one?

Thanks again, John

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know the answer about the gasket. but the oil pump should be primed w/ an electric drill. You can use a 1/4 drive extension and socket but the proper tool is better. Run the drill backwards.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/me...rd?prefilter=1
    This is the one I have for my 351. I think the 302 is a different size but didn't quickly find one.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The varying hole sizes are to serve as restrictions to equalize coolant flow front to rear. If everything was wide open the majority of coolant would flow through the area closest to the water pump and the other end would get virtually none. Note that because of these restrictions incorporated into the head gasket there is a specific orientation and the gasket will be marked "FRONT". Get it backwards and it'll overheat.

Don't use RTV on the wet head bolts (which are the entire row across the bottom on a 302/5.0). Instead use a Teflon based sealer such as Permatex 80632:

I go one farther and also apply it to the dry bolts; not because they require sealing but so that there is a consistent lubricity on all bolts when torquing.

The oil pump shaft in a 5.0 is a 1/4" hex. As Craig said spin the pump counterclockwise with a drill. Remove the valve covers and watch for oil flow through all 16 pushrods onto the rockers.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Jeff completely, if you want to make your own priming tool just take an old distributor and drive the roll pin out of the cam gear. Remove all the top end and there you have it.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, got it!!