Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake Light stays on.

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Light stays on.

I'm down to my last warning light issue!

I'v checked the wiring, page WI-164, 2006 WRX
    i10-B19 to Fog Light Diode B112-3 and Brake Fluid Level B16-1
    Brake Fluid Level B16-2 to ground.
    Fog Light Diode B112-4 to Parking Brake Switch R4-O and then ground .

Both the P-Brk switch and Brk Fluid switch are open circuit (with hand brake released.)

And still the brake light stays on.
    Alternator connection to i10 B1 is OK and Battery light goes of when the engine is running.

Fog light circuit wiring and relay have been removed. Could this have some effect on the Fog Light relay which is causing this?

Any ideas or help gratefully accepted as usual.

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Do you have the flashers still wired in? And you might be missing the rearward ground to that circuit. Also you could have wired the brake light extensions wrong. ?? Let me know

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a brake fail switch on the master cylinder which detects if you lose pressure on either of the brake fluid circuits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Do you have the flashers still wired in? And you might be missing the rearward ground to that circuit. Also you could have wired the brake light extensions wrong. ?? Let me know
    Hi Craig, Per pg 164 (attached) the parking brake and low fluid light is not associated with the stop light wiring at all.

Thanks for thinking about my problem...any and all thoughts are welcome. I'm stumped at this time.

fredPkg Brk Warning Light001.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xatudor View Post
    Is there a brake fail switch on the master cylinder which detects if you lose pressure on either of the brake fluid circuits?
    Hi xatudor, I don't believe there is anything like that as it would imply that both circuits were always pressurized ....not only when the brakes are applied. At this stage I am reasonably familiar with the brake piping etc. and parking brake mechanicals...Also the fluid level switch in the mastercylinder and the grounding switch at the parking brake itself. So I'm pretty sure it is an electrical problem.

Thank, however for the interest.

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have power wired to C7?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 904svo View Post
    Do you have power wired to C7?
    Yes I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    What did you wire to A2? ABS control module controls those leds.

Post Thanks / Like
    What did you wire to A2? ABS control module controls those leds.
    Hi 904, I don't see an A2 on page WI-164 or WI-87 the ABS page(could be I'm selectively stupid!!!). My donor is an 06WRX. Closest would be, on page 87, *1 decoded to A1 decoded to i12 #1 Sb to iI3 #1 B38 Sb to Abs control module B301 #8.

ABS pg 87.jpg

If that is the wire path you are guiding me to: I don't have it connected to anything. I merely removed the ABS and left that "open circuit".

It would help me if Connector and Terminal were listed. i.e "C7" would be crystal clear to me as "i11 #7" {C7 was fine as I found it on page 164 quite easily}

Thanks for your effort on trying to help me.

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry was lookingt at 2007 dwg, Your correct at looking at that lead, I belive it has to be ground to put out the light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry was lookingt at 2007 dwg, Your correct at looking at that lead, I belive it has to be ground to put out the light.
    I'll try tomorrow...that is great input Thanks a million!

I'll post the result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freds View Post
    I'll try tomorrow...that is great input Thanks a million!

I'll post the result.
    Hi 904. That was the correct information that was needed....Thank you again!

Parking brake light now functions as it should when parking brake is on and goes off when brake is released.
    Other than CEL, my instrument cluster is now "clean"

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by freds View Post
    Hi 904. That was the correct information that was needed....Thank you again!

Parking brake light now functions as it should when parking brake is on and goes off when brake is released.
    Other than CEL, my instrument cluster is now "clean"

fred
    Glad you found it, it was the rearward ground I mention like 8 post ago, I just didn't tell you the exact pin

Post Thanks / Like
    Freds or Metal, I've got the same problem with the brake light staying on and I've studied this thread several times for the solution. Do you mean I should ground the i11 #7 pin (page WI-164)? This seems like it will create a short with power directly to ground, but I'm stupid on electrical stuff. Same as Freds: 2006 WRX manual but I've kept the ABS wiring which should not influence this system.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be rereading this thread a few times too, lol, as I have this issue as well. I can hear a relay click as I engage/disengage the parking brake, so that part is doing something. I kept ABS, so I guess my first step is the brake fluid level switch. I haven't plugged all the ABS stuff in to start troubleshooting just yet, but having this issue too, the thread jumped out at me.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Fluid topped off in brake master
    Brake cluster light's signal wire connected and engaged. This wire might be different through the years, but my CPU is not working right now
    Sb grounded as Fred's did.

It should work if this is all present
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 07-23-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Freds or Metal, I've got the same problem with the brake light staying on and I've studied this thread several times for the solution. Do you mean I should ground the i11 #7 pin (page WI-164)? This seems like it will create a short with power directly to ground, but I'm stupid on electrical stuff. Same as Freds: 2006 WRX manual but I've kept the ABS wiring which should not influence this system.
    Since I don't have ABS, I cant give you a direct answer.
    I'm guessing that on pg WI-87 of the 06 maual.....terminal 8 on B301 gets switched to ground by the ABS control module "does its thing", because all I did was ground tha Sb wire as 904 suggested. So now my brake light circuit only involves the fluid level and parking brake switches.
    Good luck.

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I will look at drawings, and see if I can help ya, wait can't get the 06 to download, send me that page
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 07-23-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the page from the 06 WRX wiring diagram with the brake light. THANKS!
    Last edited by AZPete; 07-23-2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: hopefully better quality
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AZPete;162861]Here's the page from the 06 WRX wiring diagram with the brake light. THANKS!]

You also need page 87 which you can get from my post #9 on this thread. That was what sorted me out.

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    I plugged in all 4 ABS speed sensor corners and my brake light is working normally now. Brake fluid reservoir is unplugged ( remote mount kit-no float gauge), so it's normally an open circuit. Thanks for the help guys!
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm bringing this thread back to the top because it helped me trouble-shoot and fix my dash brake light also. Now the light is working perfectly and goes off when then parking brake is released! I was frustrated for a while because I didn't realize it only works with the engine running (duh). And, I discovered that the DRL headlights come on with the engine running and parking brake released, and DRL lights go out with the parking brake applied. Yippee - on my list was fixing the DRL wiring but it works!

Post Thanks / Like
    I found out some details about the brake light while working on mine a few days ago. The two diagrams aren't all that easy to merge together. Here are the two, one from WI-163 and one from WI-87:

BrakeLight1.png

When merged, the brake light circuit is this:

BrakeLight2.png

Notice that I moved the "Reverse Circuit" off the wire it was covering. The rules for when the brake light comes on are as follows:

1. If the Sb wire going to the ABS module (at i1-12 on my car) is connected to ground, the brake light will always be on.

2. Grounding either B1 or B19 will light the light. B1 goes to the alternator, so the light will always be on if the engine isn't running. B19 goes to both the parking brake lever and the fluid sensor. If either of these are grounded, the light comes on.