Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Colorado registration, anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone registered here yet.
    Last edited by bbjones121; 06-20-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can duplicate thread be removed?

Post Thanks / Like
    The basic steps:

Make sure you have the title for the donor OR a title review from the DMV (I had to get one from maryland because i sold my title/chassis). Make sure you have the FFR receipt and COO as well.
    Call state patrol, set up a certified vin inspection
    Go to the DMV, get temp tags, tell them your inspection time
    Drive car to state patrol, they will do paperwork, I think they were supposed to inspect but they didnt at all
    Take paperwork back to DMV, they send it to denver, wait 4-8 weeks
    State patrol gets VIN back, contacts you
    Back to the DMV, get more temp tags
    Drive to State patrol, get VIN attached, more paperwork
    Back to the DMV, turn everything in, rejoice, and be merry

Hope that helps.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    What if you only have Bill of sale, no title. Typical from salvage auctions.

Post Thanks / Like
    So for what research I found theirs a few things I believe you need to do.

1. You need to do a title transfer for the donor vehicle to your name. This may include go and getting a vin inspection if the vehicle comes from out of state.
    If you don't have a title you can apply for loss of title in Colorado, but I do not know how that works.
    2. When you go to get you kit inspected you will need photos of all the serial numbers that were used on the engine, transmission & etc. (part of the inspection stage)
    3. When you fill the paper work out fill it out the model with the work "Kit" in it so like "818S Kit" what this does is make you exempt from some rules. I believe the big one and I might be wrong is emissions.
    see the Exemptions tab at this link https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/gas-vehicles

Now for the exact steps to do all this is lost on me so Cheistan post kinda helps, but I didn't think you could get a Temp tag without a vin # or insurance.
    So I believe the first step is to trailer you kit to the Colorado State Patrol office in Golden because they are the only ones that can put a physical vin plate on a car in Colorado.
    Then once a vin has been given to you then you could go to you insurance provider and get the insurance then to the DMV for the temporary tag then return to the C.S.P. and get the vin plate attached.

So in the long scheme of bbjones121 someone should probably stop at the C.S.P. and ask and I guess I should because I drive by it two times a day so if any one has any question's
    in Colorado on registering a kit car lets post them here and I would be willing to go talk to the C.S.P. on the procedure for kit cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheistan, is that from experience on your 818 or just kinda guessing?

I'd really like to know to. I'm not there at all yet, but I called CSP and the lady was being a total *****, basically saying that the car has to have everything that a new car has from the factory........ which of course is impossible and total BS. I'd really like to know if anybody has actually done it yet, and talked to one the the inspector to see what is really needed.
    I'm building an R, with minimum stuff on it so it can be street legal. I wanted to see if some of the stuff I'm planning on doing pass before I do it, finish the car and am told to modify a bunch of stuff, especially in the wiring harness, etc....
    Things I'm not sure about:
    - Race harness ok? (since they are not DOT and expire....)
    - No windshield (I'm hopping that as long as you wear eye protection, it should be fine)
    -turn signal button on the dash ok? I don't want the whole cluster on the column, and do they need to be self canceling?
    I'm sure there is more but I haven't looked deeply into it yet.

oh yeah, and why would we need the title from the donor car? What if you don't have a donor car? I actually have one, but I really don't wanna have to put it in my name as it will cost me over $500 in sales taxes just to have my name on a title of a car that will not exist
    anymore...
    Somebody should stop by, but we should just have one person do it and get all the info at once. Let's not piss them off this early in the game!! I could do it. Let's figure it out
    Last edited by Doowop; 10-23-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill try and answer all the questions i can -

1) you do have to either have the title of the donor in your name OR you can bond for a salvage title (something I would not recommend, longer process, very painful from what I can tell). As long as you have a records search of the vin and the bill of sale, you can make it work. It took me 2 tries and driving up directly to the state DMV in denver to talk to a manager about it. My problem was I sold my title and old chassis, and no longer had a real title.

2) You have to have insurance, but you dont have to have a vin. You can get temp tags for 10 days as long as you already have an inspection set up with state patrol.

3) The state patrol inspection in colorado springs was a paperwork drill. They honestly didnt look at my car at all, something i was deeply annoyed with since I was up till 2 am 3 nights in a row getting it ready. I cannot promise this for other state patrols.

4) Things that I know are absolutely required. Windshield. Wipers. Cat. Muffler. Lights. Pretty sure a horn is (again never really checked). 5 Point harnesses ARE legal. I think as long as you can flip turn signals one way or the other it should be fine (also never checked).

For me currently in this process, I am awaiting CSP to call me (I was told this will happen this friday), then I get ANOTHER round of temp tags, drive to CSP, affix the vin, drive back to the DMV, and title. If everything goes well I will be driving around by the time it snows...

Sorry about the late response!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Chris,

Was wondering if you had a update about your questions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great success! I would recommend going to denver to make sure everything is straight the first time. I am going back to state patrol on monday to get the vin affixed. No problem getting a second round of temp tags, just be confident and act like you know what is going on.

Should have plates by the end of the week.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    chris, i pmed you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I contacted sombody from the mile high cobra club, and here is what he said so far:
    What we have found is that the DMV is a bit of a moving target. The primary purpose of the CSP inspection is to verify if the car has any VIN, chassis or other numbers. They typically don't do a safety inspection. The seat belts I had were Simpson race belts and there was no problem. Many of the Cobras in our club have dash mounted directional switches that are non-canceling. Most do not have back up lights, some no wipers, hand brake or side mirrors.
    I would suggest you visit your local DMV office or the main DMV office at 17th and Pierce St. and request a "Kit car"Title and registration information packet. It outlines what information is necessary to submit for a title and registration. While the requirements are a bit fluid, it usually requires photographs of the car, MSO from Factory Five, bills of sale for the kit and the major drive train components, affidavit stating you built the car, and other miscellaneous information. The process takes from 3 to 6 weeks, part of which is the CSP inspection. You will have to pay sales tax on the value of the material investment. I believe all this is laid out in the packet.
    You will want to make sure that the car is titled as a kit car as it makes the car emissions exempt.

I will get the packet this week and call him to get more info

Post Thanks / Like
    In Jefferson county they will provide you with a packet so there was no need to go into town. I got my tempory tags this morning and will be visiting the CSP tomorrow. The apointments are typically a month out. Plan on a couple of months to get it registered from when you start the process. I would avoid the Mountain View inspection station. There was a nasty report that 70% of the town's revenue is from traffic tickets. A lot of questionable officers too!

When you go for the temporary tags have your paper work in order along with the required pictures.

My MK2 Cobra has wipers, no self cancelling turn signals and a 4 point harness. No problems 12 years ago. The officer asked if it was safe and where the chassis number was. Cobra owners have been ticketed for no front plate. Maybe a challenge for the 818!

The 818 has been a blast to drive today even though it was cold and windy. I did have some problems with an air lock in the cooling system that I think is corrected. Real glad I had some seat time in it.

I'll report tomorrow how it went.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry J W View Post
    In Jefferson county they will provide you with a packet so there was no need to go into town. I got my tempory tags this morning and will be visiting the CSP tomorrow. The apointments are typically a month out. Plan on a couple of months to get it registered from when you start the process. I would avoid the Mountain View inspection station. There was a nasty report that 70% of the town's revenue is from traffic tickets. A lot of questionable officers too!

When you go for the temporary tags have your paper work in order along with the required pictures.

My MK2 Cobra has wipers, no self cancelling turn signals and a 4 point harness. No problems 12 years ago. The officer asked if it was safe and where the chassis number was. Cobra owners have been ticketed for no front plate. Maybe a challenge for the 818!

The 818 has been a blast to drive today even though it was cold and windy. I did have some problems with an air lock in the cooling system that I think is corrected. Real glad I had some seat time in it.

I'll report tomorrow how it went.

Larry
    Hey Larry,
    Are you all registered and driving around town? I would love to see your car sometime. I need some visual motivation to help me with putting my engine back together.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Big milestone yesterday as I went through the entire process for the state of Colorado to issues me a VIN number and was a bit easier that I expected. To note, I am registering the car in Colorado Springs at my parents house and went through the process in El Paso County.

1. Step 1- Call and schedule your inspection with the highway patrol
    2. Step 2- Within 10 days of the inspection go into the DMV to get a 10 day temp tag. They will only give you one for the inspection and one to get the VIN attached to the car. You will need to make sure you have the car insured, invoice for the kit, certificate of origin and recommend bringing all of the paperwork you have. At this time, the DMV printed off all the forms and process to have the state issue a vin number. I did not transfer a donor title since the majority of the donor parts were purchased new or through salvage. If you are transferring a donor title, be sure to bring the title and bill of sale to transfer. The main thing the DMV was concerned with was the drive drain and I had receipts for all of that to show them.
    3. Step 3- Get the vehicle inspected- Like stated above- they simply walked around the car and that was it. They didn't pull the engine cover to look of emissions controls or inspect anything on the car, it was all about the paperwork (bring it all with you just in case). I did not have whippers installed and they didn't say a thing. They will give you a form that will need to be submitted to the DMV with rest of the paperwork to have a new vin assigned.
    4. Step 4- Take all of your paperwork to the DMV and they will submit it to the state to process. For me, they needed copies of my invoices (stamped by highway patrol) for the major components, printed photos of the car and do take your certificate of origin (to keep) as they will be issuing you a title for the car.
    5. Step 5- Wait 6-8 week for a call from the highway patrol to let you know they have your vin.
    6. Step 6- Go back to the DMV for a final temp tag to drive the car down to the highway patrol for them to attach the new VIN plate to the car.
    7. Step 7- Get VIN attached
    8. Step 8- Back to the DMV one last time with the new VIN paperwork to get your final plates for the car.

For me, everything has been submitted and I am now waiting for the the call that my VIN is in.

Hope that helps the Colorado guys but as always it will vary location by location. Hit me up if there are any questions.
    Last edited by coloskydiver; 06-17-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coloskydiver View Post
    Big milestone yesterday as I went through the entire process for the state of Colorado to issues me a VIN number and was a bit easier that I expected. To note, I am registering the car in Colorado Springs at my parents house and went through the process in El Paso County.

1. Step 1- Call and schedule your inspection with the highway patrol
    2. Step 2- Within 10 days of the inspection go into the DMV to get a 10 day temp tag. They will only give you one for the inspection and one to get the VIN attached to the car. You will need to make sure you have the car insured, invoice for the kit, certificate of origin and recommend bringing all of the paperwork you have. At this time, the DMV printed off all the forms and process to have the state issue a vin number. I did not transfer a donor title since the majority of the donor parts were purchased new or through salvage. If you are transferring a donor title, be sure to bring the title and bill of sale to transfer. The main thing the DMV was concerned with was the drive drain and I had receipts for all of that to show them.
    3. Step 3- Get the vehicle inspected- Like stated above- they simply walked around the car and that was it. They didn't pull the engine cover to look of emissions controls or inspect anything on the car, it was all about the paperwork (bring it all with you just in case). I did not have whippers installed and they didn't say a thing. They will give you a form that will need to be submitted to the DMV with rest of the paperwork to have a new vin assigned.
    4. Step 4- Take all of your paperwork to the DMV and they will submit it to the state to process. For me, they needed copies of my invoices (stamped by highway patrol) for the major components, printed photos of the car and do take your certificate of origin (to keep) as they will be issuing you a title for the car.
    5. Step 5- Wait 6-8 week for a call from the highway patrol to let you know they have your vin.
    6. Step 6- Go back to the DMV for a final temp tag to drive the car down to the highway patrol for them to attach the new VIN plate to the car.
    7. Step 7- Get VIN attached
    8. Step 8- Back to the DMV one last time with the new VIN paperwork to get your final plates for the car.

For me, everything has been submitted and I am now waiting for the the call that my VIN is in.

Hope that helps the Colorado guys but as always it will vary location by location. Hit me up if there are any questions.
    Awesome to hear. Thank you for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still waiting to hear back from the state on my VIN. I have called three times to the highway patrol but no call back. I was told 6-8 weeks but I am close to going on 16 weeks. We will have to wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am now official. I called the State Patrol to follow-up and was told that the VIN was in and scheduled an appointment to get it attached to the car. I got it attached today and then went to the DMV to get my plates and am now good to go. What a process but glad it is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coloskydiver View Post
    I am now official. I called the State Patrol to follow-up and was told that the VIN was in and scheduled an appointment to get it attached to the car. I got it attached today and then went to the DMV to get my plates and am now good to go. What a process but glad it is done.
    Congratulations
    Now go get some on road testing done. (If it's not snowing)
    Bob and Mike
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-14-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. Better hurry, after tonight you are out of luck for a little while.

So I am getting ready to start this process. Looking back, do you have any recommendations.

Also, I txted you about a group discount on shipping for hardtop's in the area.