Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: As my handle implies.

Post Thanks / Like

As my handle implies.

Hi everyone, Per my handle, I am a newbee from So. Cal. and will have a lot of questions. Being a retired Engineer, I am anal about everything and have to convince myself and persuade my wife that I can and should pursue the task of building the 33. I have to design and think thru all aspects that I can imagine.

I'll definitely attend the build school before I order. My other immediate concern is how to get the kit into my garage. I live in a remote location about 250 yards off the street, down a moderately steep hill and back up a moderately steep hill and Stewart can't access the house with their truck. Best interface with them is to off load onto a trailer and I haul it to the house. I have little or no help handling the gear so I have to deal with some engine crane or home built hoist to get it from the trailer to the garage.

Other idea and hence a question is to pick it up in an enclosed car hauler or rental truck and bring it home.

Any one have an idea about this? Could I just drag the frame off the trailer and ramp to the point that I could pick it without doing any damage?

Any ideas about this would be appreciated.

Thanks and later, Kit Rookie

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart is very adept at delivering these kits. They have a rolling frame dolly that has 10" pneumatic tires and I have even heard of them carting these kits down and up steep drives with the aid of a pickup truck or even a quad. I'd bet they would have no problem getting the components, including the chassis and body, down to your place. Once down to your garage space, the chassis/body is easily lifted by two and jack stands can be placed under it. Best advise I can give you, since you're an engineer? Don't over think it.
    Frank

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Kit Rookie,

You don't have to be an engineer to get "analysis paralysis". I've had that condition for many years.

But seriously, I would suggest having about twice as much padding and shipping quilts as you think you need. You don't want to mare or scratch the powder coat on the frame. I'm betting you will come up with a good plan or two or three. Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, Thanks. That sounds possible. I have a golf cart that could definitely tow that dolly up to the garage if the driver would work with me. I had a generator delivered and the driver would not come into the drive way with a 33 ft. trailer, so I had to come with the golf cart and put the generator on a furniture dolly and tow it home. Definitely don't want to get into a situation like that unless I know it is coming and I could obtain a trailer. You show IE So. Cal, so we are close think Fallbrook.

Later, Kit rookie

Post Thanks / Like
    They will help get it to the garage and help put it on stands or a dolly.
    They are great. Did mine in the rain. No gripes.
    Gave something to get a nice dinner.

Joe
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...d-finally.html
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...rts-build.html
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/final...roject.645071/
    MK4 complete kit.
    351 Dart based 427, 4'' stroke by 4.125 bore.
    Twisted Wedge 11R heads Dual quad EFItech efi