Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What did you do for your 818 today?

Post Thanks / Like

What did you do for your 818 today?

This thread has been popular in the roadster forum so I thought I'd start one here for the 818 lunatics.

I'll start by saying I spent an hour mounting the headlights in the front bumper and then searched build threads for tips on fitting the front fenders, which I'll do tonight.

Whadyudo?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ordered tires! 215/40-17 & 255/35-18 Federal 595RS-R to go on my new rims that came yesterday:

wheels.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent an hr or two picking up my garage, it gets to be as if a bomb went off after a couple weeks. Finally got the Dr. report on my MRI the good news is other than optic neuritis my MS is not an issue. My physical problems are being caused by a disc between C5 and C6 pressing on my spinal cord. (similar symptoms)

The key to your headlights and fenders... trim em... around the headlights and very thin at the edge where they meet up with the door opening. The red car has almost a knife edge at the bottom and only 3/16 inch edge at the top.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished front brake lines got engine off of engine stand and ready to bolt on new clutch and flywheel. hope to get it in the frame this weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my engine off the stand today and bolted on the clutch/flywheel/PP. Working in the heat/humidity today was difficult. We've been fortunate this summer has been fairly cool. My glasses fogged up going into the garage today.

I also tripped over my transmission and hit my head on the frame of the 818. Fortunately, I didn't split my head open and didn't lose consciousness as I hit right next to my temple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch out for he rear body mounts, the edges a bad news... ask me how I know!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my AWIC from Wayne today and have bee fitting stuff. Good excuse to stop wiring.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got back from a week in AZ and will be away for the weekend. All I managed this week was to get the ISIS system on order. Looking forward to next week however when I can answer this hopefully with progress and photos.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I threw Michaels 818 on an old boat trailer and brought it home to the air conditioned garage. Going to install all the wiring this weekend.
    Hey Dan, notice the safety pads on the rear fender mounts.
    Bob
    P1050100s.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Jack
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Started it for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooh, that's a fun day! So much has to have gone right to get there!

I didn't get much done yesterday. Just installed a filter on the fuel vent line after reading about how many cars have been recalled from spider webs. Mazda and Suzuki being the latest victims.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I threw Michaels 818 on an old boat trailer and brought it home to the air conditioned garage. Going to install all the wiring this weekend.
    Hey Dan, notice the safety pads on the rear fender mounts.
    Bob
    P1050100s.jpg
    I damn near split my head open on mine early in my build!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I have a couple dents in my skull too. Those mounts are solid, I kept mine padded after the second hit.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Mounted various control units in the engine compartment, fit dash and windshield frame, test fit new wheels and tires. Also made some room to start working on the body next week. Now it's beer and football time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous choice of wheels. Team Dynamics Motorsports? Did I read that correctly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I'm really happy with them. Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 in Anthracite 17x8 +35 front 18x9 +35 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    0906141624b-1.jpg
    I finished my dash. Covered the top in the same material Aloha used, but painted the bottom and sides gloss black. I used. flat black in the instrument bezel, and the face I covered in 3M scotchprint faux carbon fiber.

Post Thanks / Like
    engine and tranny set in place and rear suspension is in

Post Thanks / Like
    Note: My car has been go karted and the body is mounted...

I took a very conservative approach dieting the harness, tons of extra wire. I went to install the new aluminum console and found I have "issues" with wire tension and component access, so I worked on dieting further yesterday. It always looks worse before it looks better! I want to add an access panel for fuses and relays on the side of the console by the passenger footwell. The first photo was Saturday... the other two this morning!

We seem to assemble and take it back apart... A LOT!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of yesterday I spent on the right side headlight/front bumper/front fender fit. Lots of small cuts, sanding and test fits and now it's good. I think with a few more tweeks it will be about perfect. Then, the left side should be easier and faster.

Edit: Don't think this is a complaint about time spent to get it right because I think that's fun. I watched TV (NFL & PGA) while working on my 818 - a great way to spend a Sunday! And, the AZ Cardinals won.
    Last edited by AZPete; 09-16-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Rebuilt my parking brakes...factory manual came in handy, but since I forgot to take photos of it before it was stripped, I had a few head scratching moments. First one took a while (especially since I forgot the shoe guide under the return springs the first time around) second one was a breeze.

IMG_20140915_221037069a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a fan shroud for my relocated AMR TMIC. I relocated it like Wallace18 did his, just above the transmission. I wanted only cool air from the upper rear vent to feed the intercooler, so I build a shroud with fans to pull air in from it. We'll see how well it works.

818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM