BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Motor in a Roadster?

Post Thanks / Like

Question 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Motor in a Roadster?

Hi all. I'm planning my build of a Mark IV Roadster. I've read through the build manuals and am considering doing somthing a little different and going with the modern 5.0drivetrain out of the 2011 Mustang GT (part# M-6007-M50 from Ford Racing) and possibly the Tremec 5-spd as well with the IRS. I've searched these forums but I can't seam to find any info on whether or not someone has tried this before or what I am in store for. Above and beyond the cost of a complete kit, the additional cost of the IRS, and the drivetrain:

1. what else am I going to need to purchase for this build?
    2. what am I going to need to modify (if anything) to get this to work?

I'm guessing ECU, engine harness, headers, maybe custom driveshaft. But I'm looking for more details.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    That new 5.0 looks to be an incredible engine - way better than the old 5.0 and 4.6 units.
    [email protected]
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    289 USRRC Build started January 2018
    Driven on track in FFR by Bob Bondurant himself in 2005, Phoeniz, AZ
    Build School May 2011 (Strongly recommended)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been done a few times already. Search for "Coyote". That name seems to be sticking rather than Ford's prefered "5.0".

From my VERY limited exposure, it seems like headers are the only major stumbling block between the Coyote and the DOHC 4.6.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Jonathan: You bet. It's got way better output from the factory, and I'm guessing since emissions are less of an issue for a car registered as a 65 roadster I could push more power out of it and still keep it reliable.

@PhyrraM: I did see one thread last night regarding the "Coyote" but could not for the life of me figure out what that meant. Thanks for the tip. I'm just getting back into Fords after a long hiadus with my Subaru and I'm just coming back up to speed again on american muscle.

After a search I'm well on my way and already in touch with the pioneers taking this on now. Howfully FFR will have bolt-on solutions soon. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris

Welcome back from the Dark Side.

Chuck
    Chuck

Mk1, MK3, Hotrod, Gen 3 Daytona Coupe, RF GT40
    Hang Up and Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chuck. It wasn't too long ago I had a 79 Formula 400 get spanked by an import in a drag race that I though "huh, the force is strong with this one. There may be something to these imports." I can say with confidence my Suby can walk all over most cars on a road coarse costing 3x as much as I spent, but I've taken this thing as far as I am going to. After seeing how much blood, sweat, tears, and $$ it took to safely get 525hp at the crank, I'm throwing in the towel. Truth is I'm probably not going to hit the track too often being a privateer, even though Sebring is very close. I travel a lot which resulted in driving less than 2000 miles in the past 12 months (mostly to and from the airport). And with the flawless weather we get here in FL I can legitimately own a roadster as a daily driver. So hear I am. In the planning phase and finally going to fulfill a 15 year dream of mine this year.

Thanks again for the warm invite Chuck.
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.