Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: It's ordered!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's ordered!!!!

Hi All. I'm new here on the forum, but I just officially placed my order for a MkIV kit!!

MkIV Order Header.jpg

I've been a GIGANTIC fan of the Cobra since a kid (I think 'The Gumball Rally' in '76 is what hooked me), and have followed FFR for 10+ years...so this gift from my wife is definitely a dream come true for me. I'm very excited...but also a little overwhelmed, so I'm already glad that this forum of more experienced folks is here to seek guidance from.

I look forward to "meeting" and chatting with you all via the forum in the near future...and hopefully meeting a few of you in person at various events!

Shannon

Post Thanks / Like
    Score! This forum and the other have been very helpful. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome to the madness. Please feel free to ask question and let me know if you need anything.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so jealous! SOMEDAY I will be ordering one.... but until then, I dream......

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the team, brother.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Where do you live? What are your plans for the car once built? Ask all the questions you want. Lots of helpful folks here.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Welcome to the club!

What setup are going with? Now the hard part.... Waiting

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The journey begins. Look us up for a powerplant.
    Chris
    Engine Factory
    www.fordcobraengines.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and enjoy the journey! X2 on waiting is the hardest part. My wait is almost over, kit getting delivered next week. If you have any questions, this forum is a great resource or feel free to send me a pm.
    Ordered MKIV complete kit 4/2014. Completion 6/21/14. Delivery 7/19/14. Build started 7/20/14. Levy Racing stage 4 347 carb w/super alloy t5. 8.8 live rear axle 3.55. First time builder!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very exciting! When I got mine every box was like opening a Christmas present. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!
    Steve K
    FFR 3906

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. I'm hoping to order mine in a couple of months or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome!!
    Delivered 11/12/11
    2014 small fall cruise http://youtu.be/fwk0TXXZGEU
    First Start: http://youtu.be/547P6SHGixI
    Go Kart 2/12: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSUL-6q15k

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum! Gift from the wife!!! Does she have a sister?

Post Thanks / Like
    @chop - LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Hi All. Thanks for the welcome messages! I am now scheduled to pick up my kit on 8/2. (I have a lot of work to do to get the garage ready!) There are many decisions I still need to make, but here's where I'm at so far:

Mk4 Complete Kit
    Leaning toward a crate 302 with EFI but with carbureted look
    T-5 tranny
    3:55 rear end
    3-Link Rear Suspension
    Vintage Gauges
    Stainless Pipes
    15" Halibrands
    Plan on going with no hood scoop and no roll bar, adding front and rear chrome plus trunk lid luggage rack
    May sound ridiculous but want A/C, PS, and PB

Any thoughts or feedback on the above? Am I off kilter with any of it?!?

Thanks!
    Shannon

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. You will probably get many thoughts about your build choices, but to me is sounds like a sweet ride.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    None of those suggestion are ridiculous. Maybe someone here who has installed a/c can chip in. Is it more effective with a roof? Are you planning a soft top?
    I am going with PB, but not PS. A lot of builders do, but I quite like the feedback you get from standard steering. I might not be saying that when I am parking!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and Welcome.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome to the fun (madness...). Not sure where you're located. I would recommend putting your city and/or state in your profile. Often location information is useful and it's safe (really). You will get very nice performance from the drivetrain you've described. Unless you're planning a top at some time, I honestly don't see how A/C is worth the time and effort. I get way more tired from the sun, wind, noise, etc. than I do the actual temp. We've done several nearly all day cruises without too much discomfort, and I'm just not sure how cold air blowing from the dash or wherever would have done much. But if a top is in your future, then that changes the story I guess. Also, hope you've done your homework with the 15 inch wheels. Yes, cool and more authentic. But both tire and brakes are quite limited, and not getting any better. I don't have personal experience, because I've done both my builds with 17 inch. But read all the time about guys looking for brakes that fit and a selection of tires that doesn't break the bank. You have my vote for both PS and PB. My Mk3 only has PB. My Mk4 build has both PB plus PS. Enough said. Good luck!
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-18-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips and info, Edward! To answer a few things...

I tried to expand my profile info, add a photo, etc. but the system tells me I do not have permission! I sent a request to the sysadmin for guidance on this. FWIW, I live in Massachusetts...near Worcester.

I DO plan on a top (can't afford it at the moment...and won't have need of it for quite awhile!). I also intend on having this car be my daily driver for 2/3 of the year, so I think the combination of the top, heat, and A/C will make that more realistic when I hit seasonal extremes...until the snowflakes start to fall!

I appreciate the heads-up on the 15' wheels. That authentic look is what I REALLY want, though. Maybe someday I'll learn a lesson and switch to the 17"

Best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sph427 View Post
    I appreciate the heads-up on the 15' wheels. That authentic look is what I REALLY want, though. Maybe someday I'll learn a lesson and switch to the 17"
    Best!
    I had the 15"/17" dilemma for ages (still haven't started my build by the way), and I have gone with 15". Western Motor Sports here in Canada had lots of brake options suitable for the 15's and I opted for Baer discs all round. You do have less tire choice, but there are still loads out there. WMS have suggested the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R, which have a higher speed rating than the BFG, Coopers etc, and you will still get that vintage look. Another factor for me was the fact that Calgary roads are sh*t and 17" would give a slightly firmer ride I believe, and I didn't want that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    302 EFI Cobra with Old school look - http://www.fordcobraengines.com/engi...ted-cobra-kit/