Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to connect FFR fuel tank to 3/8" hose

Post Thanks / Like

How to connect FFR fuel tank to 3/8" hose

What is the easiest/best way to connect the FFR tank to 3/8" fuel line? From looking at the manual, it appears they use some adapter/quick-disconnect to adapt from the 5/16" feed hard line to 5/16" hose and another adapter to go from 1/4" return hard line to 5/16" hose. I'm looking at using 3/8" hose because I already have it and my FPR, fuel rails, and fuel filter all use 3/8.

I've had horrible thoughts that range from just clamping the 3/8 hose onto the 5/16 and 1/4 hard lines which I don't think would be too great. My other idea was to obey the manual and use the provided hardware from the tank, but then grab a couple 5/16 hose barb to 3/8 hose barb adapters and use that about a foot or so away from the tank to enlarge the hose size to the engine compartment.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I listed the quick connects only at the tank. Fuel rated hose clamps on the fuel lines and filter. That's the way my donor came so I used the same method plus I didn't like how the connectors fitted on the rails.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    earls 165056ERL -6AN to 5/16 tubing

ear-165056erl_w.jpg
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wayne, but Earls is saying 25 PSI max pressure on this. I might just end up using a 5/16 to 3/8 barb adapter. Something like this or this2.

Post Thanks / Like
    I machined my own barb similar to what you have in your links.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    On my 818S I have just completed fuel line hookups: the black 1/4" to 5/16" fuel line connector is so loose on the return side of the fuel pump on the tank that I am afraid to use it. I think I will just attach the line directly to the tank. Also, I was not able to use the white connectors on the engine. They won't engage/click. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the clips present in the rectangular holes at the head of the connector? Make sure they are fully pushed in, or perhaps not backwards?
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    On my 818S I have just completed fuel line hookups: the black 1/4" to 5/16" fuel line connector is so loose on the return side of the fuel pump on the tank that I am afraid to use it. I think I will just attach the line directly to the tank. Also, I was not able to use the white connectors on the engine. They won't engage/click. Any ideas?
    On the engine:
    If the tubing coming out of your donor engine is designed for clamps, you should use clamps.
    If the tubing coming out of your donor engine is designed for Quick connects, you should use quick connects.
    Remember there is 45 psi of fuel pressure there and bad things happen if one of those lines blows off.

quick.jpg screws.jpg
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always get new fuel rails and go braided all the way from fuel cell to fuel rails and not have to worry about the rubber hose.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    You can always get new fuel rails and go braided all the way from fuel cell to fuel rails and not have to worry about the rubber hose.
    I'm using this fitting. It converts quick connect tubing to -6AN.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-644113

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    I am just test fitting the fuel lines on my 818s now. The white quick connects will grab onto the fuel pump lines coming out of the tank but not the hard lines on the fuel rails. The only difference is the fat part of the hard line on the fuel rails is 3/8 from the end while on the fuel pump the fat part is 3/4 from the end.
    So should I just use the hose clamps on the fuel rail end?
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the fittings that Bob suggested. I got one Russell 641303 ( 1/4" Hard Tube Female to -06AN Male ) and one Russell 644113 ( 5/16" Hard Tube Female to -06 AN Male ) and will be using some push lock/barb adapters to go from the -06 AN to my 3/8" fuel line. I did have some difficulty with the 5/16 hard line as I had to grind the 644113 adapter "head" down quite a bit so it would fit over the oddly enlarged 5/16 hard tube coming off of the fuel tank pickup. For some reason the larger hard line is enlarged shortly after the quick-disconnect lock which makes it difficult to even fit a normal plastic quick disconnect on that hard line. Might have just been my tank, but I share this information if anybody else comes across this issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Breeze also sells some adaptors. http://www.breezeautomotive.com/

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill