Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best shorty headers

Post Thanks / Like

Best shorty headers

More bad luck at NASA Northwest round #3 this weekend, the weld around the collector broke (finished all races just vary loud and right at the DB limit), this is the second set of BBK 15150 I have had and the second pair to break. Anyone have any suggestions on a better choice as these are not fixable they were already patched up once earlier this season. Ho about the FMS M-9430-P50? or the MAC 1-5/8 shorty ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I run the MAC 1-5/8 headers, whatever you buy make sure they have a thick flandge to bolt up to the heads.

Also, how do you have your side pipes mounted? is it causing too much stress on the headers at the engine side?
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had good luck with the JBA headers in my car, they are even just still 1-1/2 inch primaries and still make good power. They are expensive but seem worth it to me. We have also used the FMS headers many times with no issues as well. I would also stick with unequal length as the equal length ones have always given me trouble with welds breaking and plug wires melting.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim/John thanks, I have hangers at the J-Pipe and hangers at the side pipe, so I don't think there is too much stress, I think that I may be tightening them up too much and putting stress on the collector weld. The BBK only have 3 weld spots on the collector flange. I will try the MAC or FMS, the MAC seem not to have a 1 piece head mount but each tube is separate, does that cause any issues ?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim/John thanks, I have hangers at the J-Pipe and hangers at the side pipe, so I don't think there is too much stress, I think that I may be tightening them up too much and putting stress on the collector weld. The BBK only have 3 weld spots on the collector flange. I will try the MAC or FMS, the MAC seem not to have a 1 piece head mount but each tube is separate, does that cause any issues ?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont get separate tube mounts as they are a ROYAL PITA to put on.. trust me stay away
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johngeorge View Post
    Dont get separate tube mounts as they are a ROYAL PITA to put on.. trust me stay away
    OK, seems the MAC only come that way now so will try the FMS headers
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In case you haven't heard, you should only put one bolt in the side pipe holder. at the side pipe flange. Just for FYI in case you weren't in one of those discussions.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    In case you haven't heard, you should only put one bolt in the side pipe holder. at the side pipe flange. Just for FYI in case you weren't in one of those discussions.

WEK.
    Tell me more please, any references?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's one thread it was discussed. I think most were using 4x4 headers but the principle is the same.

Side Pipe(s) Hanger - stress cracks & repair

The idea is to let the side pipe float instead of twisting and overstressing the attachment point. I think that might loosen up your system so the load will be spread a little more evenly instead of putting so much pressure on one area. It couldn't hurt to try it. Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I received the FMS headers and they are much better quality than the BBK, on issue was I had to modify the motor mount on the passenger side a little to fit the header. Much better and bigger bell area for the J-Pipes to hook up. much better header bolts (ARP 12 point) and studs.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress