Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Moroso Oil Pan Plug Leak - Solutions?

Post Thanks / Like

Moroso Oil Pan Plug Leak - Solutions?

Hi all, I have the Moroso pan on my Coyote (installed by Mike Forte). It started leaking this spring. I waited to replace the plug a few weeks as I was replacing the Baffle Cover to one that would accomodate the factory dipstick... Everything went together great. But by the morning after the oilchange, the leak at the oilplug was back. I replaced the drainplug gasket, though it looked perfectly fine.

Now that I've done a google search, it seems that these pans are notorious for oil plug leaks. I'm looking for solutions to solve this as I don't want to throw out a $470 pan, nor do I want to have to pull the pan again. Please advise... I've got an event I want to be at tomorrow night, and would really like to get this resolved. Not only is it a hassle to have the leak, it's embarrasing to have on a brand new engine (less than 3000 miles on it).
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be interested in the feedback on this one... I have the same problem with my Champs pan. Its a welded on nut and the sealing surface was not machined after welding. Heat from welding caused distortion in the sealing surface? Who knows... I have tried three types of gaskets (copper, rubber, nylon) and none of them fix the problem.

Agreed that at the price of these pans I was also left disappointed in the quality and attention to detail in their construction.

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    There should be a survey re the best oil pan for a Coyote for future builders. I also have a Champ Pan and I am happy so far - no leaks after >5000mi. I believe all manufacturers have had issues of some sort in the past and Moroso had a particular bad run a while back (if memory is correct). Perhaps a survey listing the quality and any issues experienced will nudge the manufacturers to improve quality.

Perhaps a thin coat of thread seal on the drain plug bolt will do the trick (need to confirm compatibility with oil)

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You might better luck with a sealing washer from McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-se...ashers/=sy9cib

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I found the perfect solution, AFTER having tried a few others... A local company is distributing a new type of Oil Pan Plug. They will be selling retail within the next few weeks, and they've asked me not to mention their name until they give me the okay. BUT, let me say that you'll wonder why no one came up with this previously. It's genius, yet simple, and it works. I'll post more information as soon as they give me the okay. AND, it will work on just about ANY oil pan!

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Hi all, I have the Moroso pan on my Coyote (installed by Mike Forte). It started leaking this spring. I waited to replace the plug a few weeks as I was replacing the Baffle Cover to one that would accomodate the factory dipstick... Everything went together great. But by the morning after the oilchange, the leak at the oilplug was back. I replaced the drainplug gasket, though it looked perfectly fine.

Now that I've done a google search, it seems that these pans are notorious for oil plug leaks. I'm looking for solutions to solve this as I don't want to throw out a $470 pan, nor do I want to have to pull the pan again. Please advise... I've got an event I want to be at tomorrow night, and would really like to get this resolved. Not only is it a hassle to have the leak, it's embarrasing to have on a brand new engine (less than 3000 miles on it).
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, please do keep us updated; in the meantime, Bill's solution (pressure-sealing washer) seems the best bet.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I found the perfect solution, AFTER having tried a few others... A local company is distributing a new type of Oil Pan Plug. They will be selling retail within the next few weeks, and they've asked me not to mention their name until they give me the okay. BUT, let me say that you'll wonder why no one came up with this previously. It's genius, yet simple, and it works. I'll post more information as soon as they give me the okay. AND, it will work on just about ANY oil pan!
    All, a few weeks ago I mentioned that I found an amazing simple solution to the oilplug leak that I was having on the Coyote. I just couldn't say at that point what it was. Now I finally can because the company has gone public with their solution. I've attached an image for you to look at, but in short they've designed a plug that has an expanding O-Ring in the threads. This means that you don't have to torque it so tight (mean less chance of stripping) and it just flat out stops the leak. It also virtually eliminates the possibility of vibration loosening the plug. I mean I tried everything else I could think of, and this is the only thing that worked. And it's a sub $10 fix. Such a simple solution... but simple works! Here's a link to the product on Amazon. The T20 is a 1/2" thread, which is what we need for the Moroso pan. I'd love to hear if any of you try it and what you think:

http://www.amazon.com/SMART-O-Oil-Dr...I/ref=sr_1_1?s

Smart-O Oil Drain Plug.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Slider, this is great!

Does anyone know what the thread is for the Champ Pan?? I have a really bad leak on mine at the drain plug as well. Would like to order this from Amazon ASAP if it will fit the Champ pan!

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I can confirm that the drain plug on the Coyote Champ pan is 1/2" x 20. I had to chase mine with a tap so I measured it...

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I solved the leak issue on my Coyote/Moroso pan with a few wraps of Teflon tape around the drain plug. I used the heavier tape commonly used for gas fittings. No drips yet after 15'000 kilometers

Post Thanks / Like
    All, a few weeks ago I mentioned that I found an amazing simple solution to the oilplug leak that I was having on the Coyote. I just couldn't say at that point what it was. Now I finally can because the company has gone public with their solution. I've attached an image for you to look at, but in short they've designed a plug that has an expanding O-Ring in the threads. This means that you don't have to torque it so tight (mean less chance of stripping) and it just flat out stops the leak. It also virtually eliminates the possibility of vibration loosening the plug. I mean I tried everything else I could think of, and this is the only thing that worked. And it's a sub $10 fix. Such a simple solution... but simple works! Here's a link to the product on Amazon. The T20 is a 1/2" thread, which is what we need for the Moroso pan. I'd love to hear if any of you try it and what you think:

http://www.amazon.com/SMART-O-Oil-Dr...I/ref=sr_1_1?s

Smart-O Oil Drain Plug.jpg
    I purchased this plug for my Moroso pan on a 351W block - still leaks. I purchased a sealing washer from Forte - will try that.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish mine was an oil plug leak. I have a Canton 7 qt front sump oil pan on a front sump pan, havent located where the leak is coming from as yet, but it seems to be from several areas. Thinking of some of that oil dye for now.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a washer with an integrated o-ring at the local autoparts store and it works perfectly... no more leak!
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm