FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just curious...

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious...

Is anyone running something less than a V8?
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a YouTube video of a SHO MKIV.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMlaUpmay4k

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to know too. The original "concept" for the roadster was to use a donor '87 - 93' 5.0 with 225 hp from the factory. Ever since the Mustang V6 came out with 305 hp, I wondered about using that engine instead of a V8.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was talking to my buddy about exactly the same thing, and he said having a c***a with anything less than a V8 is like having an iphone and no home internet, or kissing your sister. I'm still trying to get used to Canadian sense of humour!

Seriously the 305hp V6 should still be very potent in the Roadster. And the SHO V6 would be super awesome. I just wouldn't like the sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There was a SHO V6 at this year's LCS. It looked good, required A LOT of work to install, and probably ran well. But I was REALLY disappointed in the sound. Heads turned when he drove by, but it wasn't a good thing. (I don't recall the manufacturer)

Seems like the new Mustang V6 sounds better, but still not a V8.

Also saw a Viper V10 in a Cobra (again, disappointed with the sound)

Nothing like a V8! And a BBF is even better!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Who buys one of these cars for gas mileage... Honestly I'd say the vast majority of us only buy these cars because they are rediculous... Big V8 in a iconic Little Roadster = Pure Awesomeness with a Wicked sound... Scaring Women and Children...

I suppose you could put a V6 automatic, or make it Electric... but why buy a Cobra to that? There are plenty of donor Dodge Neons for that nonsense... Too each thier own I guess, Just my 2 Cents...

Post Thanks / Like
    Although not a FFR one of my all time favorites is John Spina's Grand National turbo V6 powered Everett-Morrison.

He's logged over 80,000 miles with it to date. The car quietly squats, hooks and goes with no fuss or drama, just a high pitched turbo whistle while laying down 11.4 quarter mile times! He's a fixture at LCS, arguably one of the 2 or 3 fastest cars there and has given tons of rides to help raise money for Cystic Fibrosis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxeePh5tsw

About 3 or 4 years ago when Bob Bondurant was at LCS John put him in the car to let him give Mrs. B. a burnout ride down Main Street...Bob wouldn't get back out of the car afterward and made a dozen or more runs!

Jeff

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can get an Ecoboost package

365 Horsepower @ 5,000 RPM
    420 lb. ft. of torque @ 2,500 RPM

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=22829

BUT it doesn't have a control pack available so that would require a pretty sophisticated after market ECU to run the VVT - if that's even possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can put just about anything you want in it. A lot depends on being able to do the extra fab and tech work or having lot's of cash to have it done.
    Spend a lot of research time and remember it's what you want to end up with any other opinion's are just that.

Joe
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...d-finally.html
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...rts-build.html
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/final...roject.645071/
    MK4 complete kit.
    351 Dart based 427, 4'' stroke by 4.125 bore.
    Twisted Wedge 11R heads Dual quad EFItech efi

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mslone View Post
    Who buys one of these cars for gas mileage... Honestly I'd say the vast majority of us only buy these cars because they are rediculous... Big V8 in a iconic Little Roadster = Pure Awesomeness with a Wicked sound... Scaring Women and Children...

I suppose you could put a V6 automatic, or make it Electric... but why buy a Cobra to that? There are plenty of donor Dodge Neons for that nonsense... Too each thier own I guess, Just my 2 Cents...
    Some like the looks of the car. Walking out to my driveway and seeing a 400 hp, FWD Dodge Neon would NOT have the same aesthetic impact as seeing a 305 hp FFR Roadster.

The thing that attracts me to the donor 3.7 is that you can get fairly low mileage motors off eBay for well under 2 grand. I'll bet you could contact one of the sellers and have them put together a package with the engine, transmission and electronics that would be fairly reasonable.

It leaves more room in the engine bay for inboard coilovers...or turbo charger when you just have to have more power.

I doubt it would be much lighter with the V6 + stock 6 speed but, if it is, the weight would be further back. Not sure that's a good thing as these cars are really well balanced with the V8. But it's certainly not going to be heavier.

That Ecoboost package is really pricey for something that has no ECU to go with it. No thanks. Not sure how they can quote HP and Torque numbers when they don't specify anything about the engine management system.