Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring mystery

Post Thanks / Like

Wiring mystery

Before I put body on I had checked my parking, signal and brake lites. With Russ Thompson/VW hub, signals worked nice, horn on the stalk was fine, even temporarily installed headlights...everything worked. Put body on installed all lights everything worked fine. Signals, parking lites, hazards, headlights and brights...no problems. Then I had to go muck around and pull right side of dash down while I replaced my water temp gauge. Now. Front lights and signals work, and driver side rear brakes,signals parking lites are fine...passenger side is wonky. Signals, brakes and flashers work fine till I pull on parking lites...then both signal and brake lites alternate blinks whe signals and hazards and brakes are individually actuated. To confuse me a little further my dash indicator lights work properly. Where do I look first ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fordboy View Post
    ...both signal and brake lites alternate blinks whe signals and hazards and brakes are individually actuated...
    I don't know how Russ' switch is wired or interfaces but the alternately flashing lights is a dead giveaway that you have a ground problem, or more precisely a lack of ground problem. Might be the TS switch, may be at the lamps themselves, could be that the rear harness plug or the main ground leg itself got disturbed when you removed the dash. Sorry I can't be more specific; this is one of those things that you'll just have to start checking and verifying.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    So from more than a thousand miles away, and without the luxury of knowing how I wired anything, Mr Kleiner diagnoses my problem...but did I listen??? Not right away... I swore I did something under the dash.. So I changed the headlighlight switch..checked the ground in the headlight harness and was about to unwrap my wiring connections for turn signals when my son suggested checking the harness at the rear lights. Turns out the female connection for the ground on the weather pak connector was pushed back further into the body and was not making contact. So I popped it out, reinstalled it, plugged everything back in and yup...works like a charm. So once again thank you Jeff for insight and help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always love a happy ending

Carry on,
    Jeff