FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Garage Alternative

Post Thanks / Like

Garage Alternative

Long time lurker - thinking about taking the plunge.

I do not have access to a garage for any potential build. What have others done in this situation? Is there a way to rent some space? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Where there's a will, there's a way.

I was talking to a guy last week that built a great looking Austin Healey in his basement and rolled it out the walkout slider when he was done (had to remove the doors and part of the trim).

F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Local airport near my house has a private association of hangars. I rented at first, then last year purchased one. Most airports require that you have an airplane in the hangar, but I recently solved that by letting one of my neighbors at the field leave his plane there periodically.

It's become a pretty nice place for this sort of project - lots of workbench space, machine tools that I could never have fitted in my home garage, a sitting area with donor furniture and a full size fridge, and a TV. With WiFi and a pilots' lounge with a bathroom and shower, it really fits the bill.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look on the coupe site, there is a builder who is building in a storage unit (actually three) where he has access and 24 hour security. Way back there was a roadster built in a car port.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I guess that would be me on the Coupe forum Doug is referring. I made my move to a storage facility because I sold my house and no longer had a garage. The only way I would consider this is my monthly expenses were drastically reduced, so I just factor the rent in monthly expenses. I pay $350 for 3 adjacent 10x20' units which have the interior walls removed, giving me 20x30' of space. I initially was in a single 10x20' unit at $150 a month. That is doable, but very tight. I had the body suspended from the ceiling while working on the chassis. It would have been tough once I started the body work.

If you could commit to the build and have all of your parts at hand, set a time line, etc. it would add about $2100 to the price of the build over the course of a year.

Rob
    Last edited by snakebit31; 07-24-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob,

Thanks. How many places did you have to contact before you found one willing to rent to you while you built? I think thats a big issue with most/all storage places.

pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Pat, I got lucky I guess. This was the first place I contacted. I think the key is if they let you store a car, they may not mind some wrench turning. Probably more concerned about storing flammable liquids. I'm at AAAA Self Storage.