FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ridiculous question about spacers....

Post Thanks / Like

Ridiculous question about spacers....

Just starting my build and I know that things aren't always going to fit together perfectly. On my front lower control arms, the provided spacers are twice the thickness they need to be...so I need to grind them down. My dremel isn't making a dent and using a flat file might take me 2 months. How are you guys trimming spacers when they are too thick?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've put together a few of these have never had to change the thickness of the LCA spacers but I have had to spread the frame tabs. I suggest you give that a try.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a 1/2 inch bolt or all thread and put the nut or nuts inside the frame tabs. Unscrew the nut.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok...good points. The spacers I am struggling with now are on the lower shock mount. They need to be trimmed a bit. I'll figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there are lots of things for which you'll need something more than a dremel or a hand file. An air compressor and a good set of air tools are very handy, or (alternatively or in addition) a set of battery operated tools with interchangeable battery packs. Due to easy availability and frequent sales at Home Depot, I have a Ryobi One+ system with a couple of drills, an angle grinder, a sawzall, a handheld vacuum, etc... ALL of which have been very handy in my build.

In this case if these are what I think they are (by the way, posting a pic always helps in this situation) I would clamp the spacers in a vice and have at it with an angle grinder.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Know anybody with a lathe?
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    The shock spacers are aluminum. Two minutes and a hand file=DONE!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issue with the lower spacers last week. I put the spacer in my vice and shaved down the spacer with my Dremel and a file. Worked pretty well and spacer fit with no issues afterwards.
    Ordered MKIV complete kit 4/2014. Completion 6/21/14. Delivery 7/19/14. Build started 7/20/14. Levy Racing stage 4 347 carb w/super alloy t5. 8.8 live rear axle 3.55. First time builder!