Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rugs are done!

Post Thanks / Like

Rugs are done!

I've been on vacation this week and spent every day in the shop plowing through my to-do list of final touches. Although I've made great progress, I still seem to have quite a few things on my list. One of the big tasks was to install the carpets, including in the trunk. I previously fitted everything, trimming where necessary and marking for edging. A few of my mods necessitated changes to the carpet layout, including the dash tubes, seat-back braces, and access panels / storage area over the gas tank. As with other aspects of my build, I'm going for an old-school look with the carpets, so I added quite a bit of edging. That was one of the few things I farmed out, as I wanted the edging sewn onto the carpet.

Custom touches include:

Layered and scalloped trans tunnel pieces to route around the under-dash tubes

For the trunk, the floor piece over the gas tank is removable - I riveted some regular male snaps to the aluminum panel and then added the female snaps to the back of the carpet using "spike rings" and snaps that I bought from angloparts.com (based in Belgium). Those snaps are most likely available via Moss Motors, but there were a few other things I needed from angloparts, so I just added them to the order.

Floor mats - I made my own using some carpet remnants that were left over from the trunk carpeting. These are held in place using lift-the-dots, including posts that are made specifically for this purpose... they have two spikes on the back and come with rings for the backside of the carpet that hold them in place.

Wear pads - the upholstery guy gave me a few large, ribbed, rectangular rubber wear pads that I cut to fit... the ribs mimic the pattern of the seats and I have a set of the ********** door panels that have the same pattern. The upholsterer then sewed the pads to the driver's floor, driver's inner wall (by the accelerator), and both floor mats.

I still have to do the under-door carpets (once the body is on) and two small pieces of carpet for the 2x2 chassis tubes at the door hinges. The remaining chassis tubes (except for the round tubes in the driver's footwell) are covered with left over leather from the seats and dash.

A few photos...

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple pics of the trunk carpet -

This is the three parts of the snap set-up for the removable piece:

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris,

Magnificent as usual...it am going to follow your lead on carpet. I really like the edging.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Looks better than OEM

I see a few awards in your future
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris-

The edging on the carpet, and those rub pads look awesome! Very, very nice work!

I may hijack a few ideas.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    don't suppose you can nip up to Calgary when I'm ready to carpet!

Very nice job.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great job. It is exactly the way I remember all the 60-70 MGs, Jags, Healeys etc looking and is the look I went for too. The nice thing about this is that their skills back then were just like we have today. No molded stuff. It all had to be made out of flat carpet that could only be curved in one way-no compound curves.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    looking great!! very tight job.