FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Drivers window wont seal, help please?

Post Thanks / Like

Drivers window wont seal, help please?

20140726_085236.jpg20140726_131332.jpg

I have a Gen 1 GTM and I can not get the drivers side window to line up. It is sitting on the pillar on the left side, but will not touch the seal. What may I be doing wrong? There is a gap large enough to get my finger through, I cant imagine it is supposed ot be this way. Can anybody offer any advice? I greatly appreciate it!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is one of the major fitment issues on the GTM both Gen1 and Gen2.

Looking at the pictures, I don't see any adjustment that will really help. Maybe an even larger seal, but that will not look good.

This is definitely something that is best completed during body work prior to paint. The window opening has to be re-worked and possibly some door adjustment.

Maybe someone else has a way. Good luck.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you having same kind of window problems on the right door as well?

Can you post up pictures of the front and rear of the left door giving more detail?

Does the door open and close correctly\smoothly?

Please give as much detail as possible, it's really hard to give you a good answer off of the two pictures that you posted

Thanks

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the car already built. The body is in beautiful shape. I believe the window may have shifted? The passenger window sits further towards the front of the car on the triangle pillar. This causes it to ride against the seal and fit correctly I believe. The drivers window looks like it is sitting further towards the rear of the car. The door opens and closes with no rubbing etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggerandbetter View Post
    I bought the car already built. The body is in beautiful shape. I believe the window may have shifted? The passenger window sits further towards the front of the car on the triangle pillar. This causes it to ride against the seal and fit correctly I believe. The drivers window looks like it is sitting further towards the rear of the car. The door opens and closes with no rubbing etc.
    That is a very nice paint job and it looks great. However, the problem is not that the window/s have shifted. I know it's not what you want to hear but, it looks like only a total re-work will give you a better fit and seal.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    The windows needed to be fixed prior to the paint job.

F5 have done such a poor job on so many things it's imperative that everything be fitted to the car and all the cutting and shutting etc be done on the body before paint.

On my one I cut the edges that the windows seal against off the body and the door, adjusted the windows to suit the door opening as best possible then made new seal edges on the doors and body to suit the glass.

you my friend are in for a new paint job if you want windows that seal properly.
    Last edited by Disraeli Gears; 07-29-2014 at 01:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man.

Before we repaint your car, I wanted to make sure that in fact the windows never fit properly. Did they fit when you purchased the car?

The windows are held into the tracks by clamps with rubber pads from the corvette. If they got loose your window will move. The tracks and door are also adjustable. If either of these loosened up your window would get out of alignment.

Because there are so many variables that all need to align, the doors are the most frustrating part of the build for many guys. Especially when you compare the mechanical part of the build to the bodywork. Everything mechanical fits without modification. To get nice fitment on the body panels they need some work. The doors are actually slightly over size so they need to be shaped to the door opening. Lots of guys ( including me ) try to fit the oversize doors and end up with more difficult door alignment.

Back to your problem. Check the door gaps. If all the gaps are good and the door opens and closes well it's unlikely the door moved. Next grab the window glass and try to move it. If it moves then that's your problem. Open up the door panel and adjust and re tighten. While the door panel is open make sure the window tracks are also tight.

If everything is tight and nothing shifted its possible the builder did not fit the windows properly before paint.

Looking at your pictures it's possible the body work was done without the windows in the car. If you need to fix this mistake you might want to consider blacking out the window frame. This way you can rework the window frame to match the glass then just repaint the window frame. I actually think the shape of the greenhouse is a signature shape on the car that looks great when highlighted.

Hope that helps.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I commented with detail on the other forum. In short, it looks like the original builder widened the rear passenger pillar but not the drivers side for some reason. The drivers window needs to be moved forward to close the gap and the drivers rear pillar needs to be widened.