Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Bill's 818C Build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Bill's 818C Build thread

Folks,

Well it is official now as I have ordered an 818 kit and have a delivery date of 22 Jun 21. As I stated in an earlier thread, this build will be different and challenging for me as I am used to building things that go boom or fly high. I want to thank all the advice that I have gotten so far as well as lessons learned and words of encouragement that I have received from fellow builders.

Since I am going donorless (no room to support build up and teardown at the same time). It also allows me to buy chunks at a time without the wife going ballistic. Her goes the general Build information

818C Kit
    Powdered Coated Frame
    Adjustable Rear lower Control Arms
    6 speed transmission to fwd
    Vinyl covered dashboard/door panel upgrade
    Trunk Kit
    CV axle with Kit

Engine 2010-2014 EZ36R
    Mated with 6MT transmission
    AGT Engineering Box with Canbus support
    2010 Immobilizer with matching ECU, BIU, TCU, , dash, Immobilizer and antenna, and the smart key
    Rear cable stick shift
    Power Brakes
    Power Steering
    USDM ECU

I am still narrowing down brakes, exhaust, gas tanks and wheels (amongst other items). I am awaiting parts for breadboarding the Canbus with the dash and immobilizer. I would like to get the wiring tests done before the car arrives. I will be getting the engine after the beginning of the year, along with the transmission. I hope to validate the lashes of engine and comms also before car arrives. Much more to think about, but I have my newly minted engineering book that is keeping track of ideas and learning along the way.

I look forward to your advice and comments as the build progresses.

Thanks

Bill

2. Likes Hobby Racer, DSR-3, Frank818 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see another EZ36 with 6MT combo being built. If you stay NA you will have no troubles with that engine. Looking forward to your build thread.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your support

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Nice to see another EZ36 with 6MT combo being built. If you stay NA you will have no troubles with that engine. Looking forward to your build thread.
    Says the guy with a supercharged EZ36? Experience is priceless.

BTW I replaced the oil ring seals on my wife's 2006 Tribeca (EZ36) timing chain housing at 185K miles. That was a $3500 (dealer flat rate) job. Took me three days.
    I replaced nothing else; I had purchased a replacement car. I waxed the Tribeca and sold it off.
    I got a call last week from the subsequent owner. At 240K miles it developed a loud rattling noise in the front of the engine. I suspect tensioner trouble. Sound familiar John?
    I suggested doing a costed BOM and compression test before tackling a DIY repair.
    jim

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    You won't be disappointed with a 6 banger in your 818. I promise.

7. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. I have not posted much lately as I have had to change some priorities as my wife was diagnosed with cancer in December. Been hospital hopping most days and taking care of the house and dogs. I finally did get my AGT box and all the harnesses and have spread them out across the garage to sort out what I really need in this build. Hopefully in the new year I will make better progress and have some pictures to show. Still stoked with getting the build moving, just a lot to take on this month.

Cheers,

Bill

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prayers for your wife.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, Science and Medicine are wonderful, and successful. Be optimistic, there is good reason.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks