ReinCarNation

Visit our community sponsor

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,400 of 1501

Thread: Hindsight's build thread

  1. #1361
    Senior Member Canadian818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    1,181
    Should help with the noise too! Any sound insulation on the inside?
    Adam __________________ Instagram @brap818
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    My widebody 13b-REW powered build thread

  2. #1362
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Thanks guys. Yes, I put some Luxury Liner Pro on the inside of it. Added some weight to my already somehow overweight 818 though.

    I got them mostly carpeted today. Just a few things to add before finishing up. Pics when it's back together.

  3. #1363
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    QC, Canada
    Posts
    4,993
    How heavy are you, actually? I mean the car.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 GT3582R ~400whp/wtq+
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017

    Official Bulid time 3077h, now at 3200, in inspection process

  4. #1364
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Frank the car weighed like 2085 when I put it on corner scaled at a local speed shop. That's without me in it, and with a full tank of gas. I'm guessing that's 90lbs of fuel, so right at 2,000lbs dry. I have kept things simple and light and pretty straight forward. I haven't added sound deadening anywhere (except on the firewall), no stereo, etc. My wheels (RPF1) are light, and my racing seats are very light and have aluminum brackets. The only thing that added any measurable weight beyond a regular build would be the AWIC.

    Working on the carpeting for the firewalls and associated parts:

  5. #1365
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Finally, all done. Car was out of commission for a whole month! I think I will probably not do any more mods to the car that require it to be non-running until next winter. It's basically already spring here and has been for pretty much all of February, with temps often in the 70's. Pretty crazy.

    Firewalls are all carpeted and took some time to do extra stuff like the carpeted ECU cover panel, fully enclosing the rear sections of the center console, using 1/4" bolts to screw the floor pan in place instead of self-tapping metal screws, looming the wiring harness, and a half dozen other things I am forgetting to mention.




  6. #1366
    Senior Member wallace18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alachua, Florida
    Posts
    3,373
    Looking Good! Now go and enjoy it!

  7. #1367
    Senior Member flynntuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Diego Ca 92106
    Posts
    1,603
    Congratulations And thank you, your thread is inspiring.

  8. #1368
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Thanks Wallace and Flynntuna!

    I'm going to change from Mobile 1 to Motul 8100 so I swung by Top Speed Motorsports today to pick some oil up. Their parking lot is always packed to the gills with GTR-s, and the odd Lambo, Porsche, Subie, or Evo. Mostly GTRs though. They crank out 1200+ HP GTRs all day long.


  9. #1369
    Senior Member Tamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Shelton, CT
    Posts
    998
    Looks great!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

  10. #1370
    Administrator
    Wayne Presley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Enterprise Alabama
    Posts
    2,657
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Thanks Wallace and Flynntuna!

    I'm going to change from Mobile 1 to Motul 8100 so I swung by Top Speed Motorsports today to pick some oil up. Their parking lot is always packed to the gills with GTR-s, and the odd Lambo, Porsche, Subie, or Evo. Mostly GTRs though. They crank out 1200+ HP GTRs all day long.

    That splitter looks great :-)
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

  11. #1371
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Thanks Tamra and Wayne. And thanks again for the deal Wayne! Just a couple more weeks before I get to test it on the track.

  12. #1372
    oooh...R34!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

  13. #1373
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    oooh...R34!
    I don't know why but there are tons of them here in Atlanta. At every cars and coffee event, you'll see 3-4 of them, minimum.

  14. #1374
    That's crazy considering they're not federally legal (no matter what the state says).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

  15. #1375
    Senior Member FFRSpec72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    2,209
    Looking very nice ! Track time !
    Tony Nadalin
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

  16. #1376
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Thanks Tony! Getting excited for the track day this weekend. I think I'm going to try to check and adjust my rear bump-steer before the weekend, and also triple-check the alignment one last time.

    Over the last weekend, I replaced the OEM sway bar bushings and brackets (bushings were trashed and brackets sucked) with some new ones, with urethane bushings. I also fabricated a new drive-by-wire gas pedal mount. The one supplied with the kit is super flimsy and kept bending on me. I welded the new one up out of .125" aluminum and it's super sturdy now. I really need to add a gas pedal stop to help take stress of the pedal assembly and the bracket, but it's just lower on the priority list right now.

    I also changed my oil.... swapped Mobile 1 for Motul 8100. I was seeing alarmingly high oil consumption, but no smoke from the tail pipe on startup, decel, accel, etc. Car is making great power and no CELs so I highly doubt anything is mechanically wrong like a broken ring-land or something. I'm going to see how the Motul does in terms of consumption and go from there. Because I have a remote oil cooler with -12 AN lines going to it, I have an extra 2-3 quarts of oil sitting in those lines and in the cooler itself so I wanted to be sure I got ALL the mobile 1 out of the car. This required me to take off the lines at my oil oil cooler sandwich plate which is unfortunately completely blocked by the exhaust manifold. So I had to take off the exhaust manifold so I could get the lines off and then blow compressed air through one of the lines to get the oil to come out the other line. Long story short: A simple oil change turned into a 4 hour long ordeal plus a trip to the Subaru dealer at $55 in new exhaust gaskets lol. But it's done now.








    Oh yeah, a local tuner (Zen Motors) just expanded their shop and got a Mustang Dyno put in. They had an open house / dyno day event. While there, I saw this GTM that is for sale. My first time seeing a GTM in person.

  17. #1377
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Thanks Tony! Getting excited for the track day this weekend. I think I'm going to try to check and adjust my rear bump-steer before the weekend, and also triple-check the alignment one last time.

    Over the last weekend, I replaced the OEM sway bar bushings and brackets (bushings were trashed and brackets sucked) with some new ones, with urethane bushings. I also fabricated a new drive-by-wire gas pedal mount. The one supplied with the kit is super flimsy and kept bending on me. I welded the new one up out of .125" aluminum and it's super sturdy now. I really need to add a gas pedal stop to help take stress of the pedal assembly and the bracket, but it's just lower on the priority list right now.

    I also changed my oil.... swapped Mobile 1 for Motul 8100. I was seeing alarmingly high oil consumption, but no smoke from the tail pipe on startup, decel, accel, etc. Car is making great power and no CELs so I highly doubt anything is mechanically wrong like a broken ring-land or something. I'm going to see how the Motul does in terms of consumption and go from there. Because I have a remote oil cooler with -12 AN lines going to it, I have an extra 2-3 quarts of oil sitting in those lines and in the cooler itself so I wanted to be sure I got ALL the mobile 1 out of the car. This required me to take off the lines at my oil oil cooler sandwich plate which is unfortunately completely blocked by the exhaust manifold. So I had to take off the exhaust manifold so I could get the lines off and then blow compressed air through one of the lines to get the oil to come out the other line. Long story short: A simple oil change turned into a 4 hour long ordeal plus a trip to the Subaru dealer at $55 in new exhaust gaskets lol. But it's done now.


    Oh yeah, a local tuner (Zen Motors) just expanded their shop and got a Mustang Dyno put in. They had an open house / dyno day event. While there, I saw this GTM that is for sale. My first time seeing a GTM in person.

    What did you think of the GTM compared to your 818 as far as interior room and working on stuff in the engine bay room?

  18. #1378
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    I didn't open up the engine bay so tough to tell really. The interior seemed smaller actually, but part of that could just be that the GTM has a roof and my 818 does not. Also the center console was large and high and that made it feel smaller too. The back of the car is REAL long. Pretty cool looking car in person.

  19. #1379
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Looks like the weather has conspired against me for my track day tomorrow. Going to be in the high 30's, raining or wintry mix. Rain may let up around 11am or so but with temps so cold, it will take the track a long time to dry off and I don't like running r-compound tires on such a cold track, so I will probably just sit this one out.

    I've been working on the suspension a bit. Today I checked the rear bump steer. In the rear, you want zero toe change, or a little toe-in on compression. You adjust it with the upper trailing link which changes the lower toe links angle in relationship to one another. Previously, I had set this by ensuring those links were parallel but when checking my rear bump steer today, I found I had .027" of toe-OUT at 2" of compression which is bad. This is probably another part of why the car felt unsettled at the track last year (in addition to the front bump steer which I have already fixed). I set it today so it has just a hair of toe in on bump: 0.0046" of toe-in at 2" of compression.

    Eating my lunch now and will head out and re-check and adjust the full alignment all the way around the car. Sucks that I won't be able to try out all these changes that I made due to the weather but there will be another track day soon.
    Performance-oriented changes I have made since the last track day:
    - Fixed front bump steer
    - Adjusted rear bump steer
    - Swapped 818S springs and shocks out for 818R springs and shocks
    - Added front sway bar
    - Re-adjusted ride height
    - Added fuel surge tank
    - Moved pushrod hole up on brake pedal for more leverage
    - Installed 818R front splitter


  20. #1380
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Looks like the weather has conspired against me for my track day tomorrow. Going to be in the high 30's, raining or wintry mix. Rain may let up around 11am or so but with temps so cold, it will take the track a long time to dry off and I don't like running r-compound tires on such a cold track, so I will probably just sit this one out.

    I've been working on the suspension a bit. Today I checked the rear bump steer. In the rear, you want zero toe change, or a little toe-in on compression. You adjust it with the upper trailing link which changes the lower toe links angle in relationship to one another. Previously, I had set this by ensuring those links were parallel but when checking my rear bump steer today, I found I had .027" of toe-OUT at 2" of compression which is bad. This is probably another part of why the car felt unsettled at the track last year (in addition to the front bump steer which I have already fixed). I set it today so it has just a hair of toe in on bump: 0.0046" of toe-in at 2" of compression.

    Eating my lunch now and will head out and re-check and adjust the full alignment all the way around the car. Sucks that I won't be able to try out all these changes that I made due to the weather but there will be another track day soon.
    Performance-oriented changes I have made since the last track day:
    - Fixed front bump steer
    - Adjusted rear bump steer
    - Swapped 818S springs and shocks out for 818R springs and shocks
    - Added front sway bar
    - Re-adjusted ride height
    - Added fuel surge tank
    - Moved pushrod hole up on brake pedal for more leverage
    - Installed 818R front splitter

    So were you running without the front sway bar for awhile? How was it for just street driving. I have been debating on making one for my modified mounts.

  21. #1381
    Senior Member Canadian818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    1,181
    That's a lot of changes, hopefully it all adds together to make a huge difference. I think based on others feedback everything but the swaybar will definitely help, not to say it won't, just not much info about using them on track.
    Adam __________________ Instagram @brap818
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    My widebody 13b-REW powered build thread

  22. #1382
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    bbjones yes I ran without a front sway bar up until fairly recently. It was fine for street driving. The S shocks and springs are really quite nice for street driving. They absorb the road really well while still feeling sporty.

    I am just hoping all these changes don't result in oversteer tendency. Having the front bar should help that, but the stiffer rear springs and the front splitter may counteract that. We'll see.

  23. #1383
    Tazio Nuvolari wannabe Scargo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    south-central CT
    Posts
    1,521
    Give me throttle oversteer or give me death!
    "Scotty, give me all the TRACTION she's got!" Pictures of what I drive till 818R is finished

  24. #1384
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    QC, Canada
    Posts
    4,993
    Quote Originally Posted by scargo View Post
    give me throttle oversteer or give me death!
    hahahahahh!!!!!!!!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 GT3582R ~400whp/wtq+
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017

    Official Bulid time 3077h, now at 3200, in inspection process

  25. #1385
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    After driving it on the track, I'll see how it does. My current plan is to probably go from 500# rear springs to 350# or 400# rear springs since the 500# springs are designed for a car with big aero on the back, which I don't have. If the car displays oversteer tendencies, I will probably attempt to dial it out with an aftermarket, large diameter adjustable front sway bar. I will probably purchase a rear aftermarket WRX sway bar and assume that it will fit in the front of the 818, just like the stock rear WRX bar fits in the front of the WRX. Stock is 17mm and I see sizes from 22 to 25mm are common. At ~$200 new, they aren't that expensive either.

  26. #1386
    I have a pair of Eibach 500 lb. springs I just removed from my 818 - (after only about 200 miles of use). PM me if I can send them to you cheap.

  27. #1387
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Thanks for the offer tomoretta but I already have 500# springs right now. If anything, I may go a little lighter in the rear, but I still need to track it first to see.

  28. #1388
    Oops - my bad! Actually I just changed to 500 lb. springs. What I have available is a pair of 400 lb.

  29. #1389
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Took her out today for a five hour long drive through the North Georgia Mountains to test out the suspension mods and alignment, as well as the front splitter. I never drive too fast on the street since the stakes are so high, so I wasn't able to push the car enough to determine whether it has over or understeer, but driving at 6 or 7 tenths, it seemed fairly neutral with possibly a slight tendency for oversteer. Right now I'd ideally like a (VERY) slight tendency toward understeer, but I'm really not going to know what it's doing until I get it on the track and can slide it out a bit. My opinion of the handling is based on a neutral corner (no braking, compression braking, or acceleration), just barely cracked constant throttle position. But all that said, it does drive very nice. Much more crisp and much less body roll. I did notice some side-hopping over bumps, which is not good, since these "R" Konis I have are not adjustable in compression (only rebound).

    One thing I do notice is that I have a lot less traction with the 500# rear springs. The weight transfer to the rear under heavy acceleration just doesn't compare to the wimpy 275# springs. To be expected of course, and with the 275# springs, I was getting horrible corner exit understeer while rolling on the power because too much weight was transferring to the back. I do want a bigger turbo and more power at some point, probably this year, but already with only 270WHP, big sticky tires, and a limited slip, I'm spinning some in second gear.

    Last edited by Hindsight; 03-19-2017 at 06:00 PM.

  30. #1390
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    506
    Your comments about weight transfer and traction make me want to get stiffer springs even if I only have the S struts.
    '06 WRX Powered 818S - Twin Scroll Borg Warner EFR 7163 - 500 WHP 570 WTQ
    Ethanol or nothing at all
    -Andrew

  31. #1391
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    925
    Without a rear wing it might be worth trying 350-400lb rear springs. Add the wing considering how the windshield effect air flow over the rear deck will be a factor.

  32. #1392
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Andrew, are you going to track the car, or mostly drag and roll race it? If the latter is the case, I'd leave the soft rear springs on there.

    Mitch, yeah, I am concerned 500# rears are too stiff without a wing. I think the windshield would completely prevent the wing from working unless it was like 6' above the car. I have toyed around with the idea of swapping back and forth between the windshield and the "R" windscreen; running the windshield on the street and swapping it out for the "R" windscreen for the track which would allow me to run the spoiler, but honestly at this point, I've spent so much time and money on the car that I'm not really willing to track it super hard. When I do track it, I will drive at like 7 or 8 10ths. I'm still considering a Lemons, Spec E30, or other spec series dedicated track car that I can beat on without worrying about losing the exorbitant amount of money and time I have in my 818.

  33. #1393
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Andrew, are you going to track the car, or mostly drag and roll race it? If the latter is the case, I'd leave the soft rear springs on there.

    Mitch, yeah, I am concerned 500# rears are too stiff without a wing. I think the windshield would completely prevent the wing from working unless it was like 6' above the car. I have toyed around with the idea of swapping back and forth between the windshield and the "R" windscreen; running the windshield on the street and swapping it out for the "R" windscreen for the track which would allow me to run the spoiler, but honestly at this point, I've spent so much time and money on the car that I'm not really willing to track it super hard. When I do track it, I will drive at like 7 or 8 10ths. I'm still considering a Lemons, Spec E30, or other spec series dedicated track car that I can beat on without worrying about losing the exorbitant amount of money and time I have in my 818.
    I'm going to track the car, that's always been the long term plan. Hence the dry sump. The downforce created by the wing is going to be dependent on a number of factors. Profile, chord length, gurney length, width, height on car, position on car, etc.

    The more I read on the GTC series of APR wings the less I wanted to use one. The 3D design is heavy on drag, with the center section more aggresive to produce downforce from the turbulent air coming off a coupe's roof, and less aggressive on the sides since they should be in cleaner air. The design has a huge drag penalty compared to a single profile design, especially in the cleaner air of an R.

    On a wide wing, I'm targeting 71", as wide as Kevin Allen builds his GTUHD, there will be cleaner air on the sides of the car. I suspect there is something to be learned about wing positioning from the Miata folk who run topless. My plan is to put the wing level with the factory roll bar. My chassis mounting will likely be a bit further back than most I've seen.
    Last edited by Aero STI; 03-20-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    '06 WRX Powered 818S - Twin Scroll Borg Warner EFR 7163 - 500 WHP 570 WTQ
    Ethanol or nothing at all
    -Andrew

  34. #1394
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Nice, can't wait to see it. With the engine mods you, the car is going to be insane on the track, but is going to require a lot of skill. I know you have a strong background in track racing so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

  35. #1395
    Moonlight Performance
    Hindsight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,232
    Headed to Road Atlanta for two days of racing this weekend. I'll try to get some pics and video with overlay.

  36. #1396
    Senior Member Canadian818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    1,181
    Good luck!
    Adam __________________ Instagram @brap818
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    My widebody 13b-REW powered build thread

  37. #1397
    Senior Member Bob_n_Cincy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati OH
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Headed to Road Atlanta for two days of racing this weekend. I'll try to get some pics and video with overlay.
    can't wait to watch the videos.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

  38. #1398
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,324
    Can't wait! Good luck

  39. #1399
    +1, let her rip.
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM, NASA ST3
    DD: 2008 Subaru Spec B
    Race Videos at www.facebook.com/ColRedRacing

  40. #1400
    Have a great time! Looking forward to the update.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Levy Racing

Visit our community sponsor