Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clearance for oval air cleaner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clearance for oval air cleaner

Nearing completion for FFR4149...Final touches happening now. It seems like my oval air cleaner sits awfully close to body of car @ firewall end. Have an Edelbrock manifold and carb. Should it be very close to the body lip? .......Charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is close, maybe 3/8-inch at best. It doesn't hit and never has. When I need to remove the air cleaner I have just enough room to remove the top lid first, then the filter element and lower plate...

HTH...
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put the body back on 7216 and its close as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been running my as close as about 3/16" away for years, just fine.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a small block and just have room for the 3 inch K&N filter in mine to clear but not by much. My problem is when I shut the hood. The filter hits the "hoop" that Street Rod Painter (Ken Pike) uses around the perimiter of the hood. Edge of the filter top also touches the passenger side of the hood. With the 1 1/2" filter I have plenty of room. Wish I could find a 21/2" filter.
    Arch

Post Thanks / Like
    Arch, How about a 2 1/4"?
    http://www.cobranda.com/sbovairfielt.html
    FFR 4298 Mk III, 5.0, Dual Quads, 3.73 Gears, B303 cam, Pin Drive Vintage Wheels and way too much to list here!
    "It's loud, smells like gasoline, and shakes, shudders, and bucks. It makes your arms tired and your feet hot. You nearly crash about once every ten minutes. It's so damn wonderful you can’t believe it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Arch,

I ordered exactly what you are looking for directly from S&B filters (a little cheaper than most of the other sources).

S&B part number is W-2250-06 You can input it in their query/search bar and it will list as a "OE Performance Replacement Filter (Cleanable, 8-ply Cotton)" with no picture (sorry). It sells for around $40.00 + shipping and came very quickly once I'd placed my order.

Here's a direct link to the parts listing on S&B's website:

http://www.sbfilters.com/s.nl/it.A/id.907/.f

Here's a pic of mine (element measures 2.375" high):

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, I² electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)

Post Thanks / Like

check this one out

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie German View Post
    Nearing completion for FFR4149...Final touches happening now. It seems like my oval air cleaner sits awfully close to body of car @ firewall end. Have an Edelbrock manifold and carb. Should it be very close to the body lip? .......Charlie

check this one out, machined from a solid chunk of billet, pretty expensive but a beautiful piece, several filter sizes available...I added a phenolic spacer so went with smaller filter but on my 302 it feeds the Demon carb just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images