Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for opinions about....

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for opinions about....

I need to install my motor temporarily to check some fitment questions I have and was looking for opinions about installing the motor while it is on my cart instead of making the car a roller just for the purpose of fitting some things with the motor in.

Here are a couple of pics of the cart. I have no doubt it will handle the weight, I am more concerned about balance but I can move the frame back some if need be.

This is the same cart I built my Mk3 on so it has had a lot on it already.

I am looking for some "no problem, I do it in a heartbeat" or "OMG, what are you nuts" and why you think it. Thanks.

FFR5546 morphing into FFR7387

Garage cam: http://mk4-cobrabuild.viewnetcam.com...gle&Language=0

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO if you move the frame back enough to balance it the support may be the way of the engine. How about putting it on jackstands or building up some supports out of lumber to put under the front end?
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Because my lift is mounted on the ceiling it would be easier all around if the frame can still move. I like the idea about another brace on the front end. This is only temporary so I could throw together another brace for the front by the rack and just pull it out when I was done. Thanks for the idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be very careful. Try moving the cart forward and lower the engine slowly while checking for balance. Do not get under it with out jackstands. Rule #1 No Blood on the Floor!

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not me, especially if I was in your condition.......DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

It looks like the cart is only about 24-30" long, I would prefer something around 48" long to not have the balance problem. That being said, install the engine, but don't take all the slack out of the hoist till you can find the balance point. Get the dolly moved to that point, slowly move to the location you want to work on it, then install jack stands at all corners, and go to work. Safety First.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the "what are you nuts?" camp on this one. The cart looks sturdy, but I imagine it's pretty tipsy with the chassis on it. I'd get the chassis to a roller before putting in the engine.

David
    Last edited by Cobradavid; 04-13-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is a bad idea. Your cart looks beefy, and it will adequately support axial (straight down) loading. But if the load is eccentric (off center), then it will have a more difficult time depending on how large the weight is and how far off center. The cart I see here really has no diagonal stiffness, and it could not get any smaller and still do the job you are asking of it, and it can get unstable quickly with a large overhanging load, which will quickly be the case once you install the motor. I am with Hank, but one step further. Go ahead and lower the motor onto the assembly, but do not disconnect it from the supporting hoist. You did say the initial installation/fitment of the motor would be temporary: make sure that remains the case.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't do it with that, If I had two smaller carts with one under the front suspension and one under the rear frame.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everybody for your opinions, it helps to have more eyes on something as you guys may see something I miss. I've spent enough recovery time!

As I stated before I'm not really concerned about the weight, it held my Mk3 with everything except motor and body. Plus I was jumping in and out a lot fitting stuff all the time. The wheels are 1000 lb capacity each.

So my plans are I am going to build an additional brace for the front end to help the balance and support the additional weight. I'll also leave the hoist hooked up just in case.

I hope to only have the motor in for a few weeks and then pull it out until the final install. By that time it will be a roller so the issue won't come up again.

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Be careful. And post pics when you're done!
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an idea, but have you considered wheel dollies? The car can be a rolling chassis, but rest the tires on the dollies and you can move it around in any direction. I see they're about $50 a pair.