Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: More parts in on our project, sharing an update.

Post Thanks / Like

More parts in on our project, sharing an update.

Another update on our blog, I have to run out the door but will update this post with embedded pics soon.

Direct link with the pics:
    https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/

Flush door handle design concept 1.

Winter has finally arrived in London Ontario, dealing with 40+CM of snow, thought I would take a break from the shoveling to share what's been going on in the background.

Completely unable to sit still and without decent weather or a chassis to wrench on, my father has been madly scheming and drawing concepts for various parts of the 65 build. The title picture is a concept drawing for a flush handle design that I saw on the internet. This handle design could be brushed or painted to match the body color (yet to be decided), and should hide in the body work nicely.

Example:

Also in the works are some of the interior components that can be sourced early. After an exhaustive search online, we finally found some heavy duty rocker switches from a marine application that can be used for dash controls. This nice part about these particular switches is that they can handle 25amps, so we can cut down on the number of relays required in the electrical system.

The pedals are another area that we're playing around with at the moment. There are some drop in pedal kits on the market that are recommended for the Factory Five Cobra cars, however our research shows many of them require some modification of the frame components - also we need to take into account my size 14 feet and may require some adjustability in the overall design that the pre-made pedals can't provide.

The kit chassis is set to be picked up late May of this year with the goal of having a rolling chassis mechanically complete by the end of this summer. Venice (our engine builder) has ensured us that we should see our completed 347 Windsor some time around the end of March - plans are in the works to get a bench dyno and hopefully capture some video of the process to share with everyone.

Our T56 Magnum has arrived as well as some of the pieces required to get the car moving when things get warmer.

We also managed to find some front spindles/hubs via a local wrecking yard. We considered purchasing these new, however the landed price in Canada after currency conversion, shipping and brokerage was just a little ridiculous - these came in a 1/4 the cost. They might not be the prettiest things in the world, but no one will see them behind the rather large brake rotors I have been shopping for........more on those in a future update.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SingleMaltWSKY; 02-14-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Updated with embedded pics - Cheers!

Jonas

Post Thanks / Like
    Jonas
    That hidden handle looks a lot like the Pontiac Grand Prix ? had about 1972 or so. Top trim level was the only version that had them IIRC.

Push on the thumb pad and the pull handle rocks out. Might be worth a web search to find a used pair of them.
    It would be a really nice touch on the Coupe.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good, like your ideas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Jonas
    That hidden handle looks a lot like the Pontiac Grand Prix ? had about 1972 or so. Top trim level was the only version that had them IIRC.

Push on the thumb pad and the pull handle rocks out. Might be worth a web search to find a used pair of them.
    DB
    Yeah - I really like the look of the hidden handles. Painting them out the same as the body could be really interesting. The plan at the moment is to fabricate these from scratch and play with some different shapes and sizes.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave Kindig (*****in Rides) makes a hidden/flush handle, don't know if sells them or only with one of his builds.
    Kenny

UPDATE : He sells the handles between 595.00 and 650.00 a pair , OUCH . Better be sure your handles are different than his, supposedly they are patented
    Last edited by first time builder; 02-16-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    Dave Kindig (*****in Rides) makes a hidden/flush handle, don't know if sells them or only with one of his builds.
    Kenny

UPDATE : He sells the handles between 595.00 and 650.00 a pair , OUCH . Better be sure your handles are different than his, supposedly they are patented
    Yeah - the price is pretty steep. As long as I'm not selling them I can make these however I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Jonas

DB
    $75-$150 for a set on eBay
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    $75-$150 for a set on eBay
    Yup - looking at them now. I like them, however they thumb rocker is still proud of the bodywork. Also I think we want a different shape and size.....still playing with ideas.
    Thanks for checking

Cheers,
    J

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw something on Stacy Dave's Gearz show a couple years ago about some recessed/flat door handled he showed how to install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    Saw something on Stacy Dave's Gearz show a couple years ago about some recessed/flat door handled he showed how to install.
    Ahh - I'll take a look around and see if I can find the clip. Thanks!

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Go down to the video at the bottom.....Very pricey...

http://www.kindigit.com/store/index....&product_id=50

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hankl View Post
    Go down to the video at the bottom.....Very pricey...

http://www.kindigit.com/store/index....&product_id=50

Hank
    Thanks for the link Hank. YUP - I think we will be fabricating our own. More customized and WAY less money.