BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completed 818S for sale [The Flash]

Post Thanks / Like

Completed 818S for sale [The Flash]

The Flash was Erik Treves' car. I bought it, only to find out I cannot have it inspected in Massachusetts (tough laws here - recent change made it so I can't get an exemption for a kit car). Add to that the fact that I no longer need to drive a car for work... Here it is, for sale.

This is the same car that Erik sold a few months back, with the addition of heated seats and Boyd's tank. Since it's the same car I'm copying his description.

A soft top is available separately. I can sell it with the car so you won't need to wait a month to get a new one.

This is Chassis #5 . It was completed in 7 months. Finished in December. It is completely street legal. The odometer shows 128,776 miles but was installed with 128,683. The donor used was a 2002 WRX with 50,000 miles on the clock. The short block was checked with good compression. Heads were REPLACED (COMPLETE) with new cams and seals. New Timing belt and water pump. The transmission was completely rebuilt here locally at the Subaru Dealer. It has the code "BA" gears which are stronger. It also has a limited slip that I added as well. The car has a windshield wiper and washer...not part of the kit...this was a custom addition. full carbon fiber aero kit (the rear spoiler is a 3M Wrap) Other additions include: Dual Air to Water heat exchangers in the nose to feed the Air to water intercooler. Bigger Turbo from a 2012 WRX. Manual boost controller. ABS is plumbed but not electronically connected. Front proportioning valve for the front brakes. K-Tune Billet shifter. Has stereo with Bluetooth and area mic for phone. The car sits on 215/40/18's in front and 265/35/18's in the rear. Total weight is 2083lbs and makes 278RWHP 265 RWTQ with the help of an Electromotive TEC-S stand alone ECU. Sparco Steering wheel....the list goes on and on... I have a complete documented build posted on thefactoryfiveforum(dot)com forum. You can do a search under my use name "Erik W. Treves". This car absolutely flies...no test drives period!! The power to weight ratio is well beyond a normal car.

24750 OBO

More high-res pictures can be seen here. Low-res attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by itsymbal; 10-15-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: updated price

Post Thanks / Like
    What new law?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's discouraging, I will be registering in MA as well. Can you go into detail about what doesn't comply?

Post Thanks / Like
    #3 what new law? Theres a lot of us building these in MA. I dont know of anybody who has actually registered one though.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    #3 what new law? Theres a lot of us building these in MA. I dont know of anybody who has actually registered one though.
    Mike

Nothing has changed recently Mike, OBDII, Pre certified configuration or clunker.

Same as its been for a while
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiny View Post
    That's discouraging, I will be registering in MA as well. Can you go into detail about what doesn't comply?
    Sure.

Until about Spring of this year (if I am remembering the conversation correctly - though it might have been last year) - it was possible to get an exemption for the car from the requirement for smog inspection. That is no longer possible. The car must now pass smog inspection, instead of just a safety inspection which was the case before.

For smog inspection in MA you need to have a usable OBDII port, which means using original ECU and wiring harness.
    This car uses the Electromotive ECU, which does not have an OBDII port at all. No port, no smog inspection. No inspection means registration gets canceled. This is where the exemption would have been useful - but that's no longer possible in Massachusetts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in MA. The only time I have a sticker is when I buy a car from a dealership. I have one car that has the same sticker since 2011. They did not cancel our registration for no inspection sticker. Worse case is a fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may be mistaken about the registration being canceled.

However, It's much worse than a ticket.
    If you get caught without a sticker or with an expired sticker, you also lose your SDIP (safe driver insurance program) rating, so your insurance rates jump right away.

Post Thanks / Like
    why not "simply" put a factory wiring harness into the car that has obd2? I say this half jokingly as it can be quite labor intensive and you'll end up dismantling much of the car, but it certainly can be done.

Tech Support, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys,

The state of MA might require a 818 to be able to be connected to a OBD2 port with a factory computer, much like the GTM kit. However, given that the car that is built with a aftermarket harness/ECU, give the MAC Center a call and ask them about getting a emissions credit for a clunker, that might help you get it registered.

Thank You

Dan@FFR
    Last edited by Dan Golub; 07-30-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Golub View Post
    Hi Guys,

The state of MA will require in most cases for a 818 to be able to be connected to a OBD2 port with a factory computer, much like the GTM kit. It is likely that a car that is built with a aftermarket harness/ECU like the 818 mentioned in this thread will not be able to be registered in the state of MA.

Thank You

Dan@FFR
    First 818 builder in MA that gets an inspection sticker... Just unbolt and sell whole windshield. Get a replacement sticker and repeat. I'm half kidding.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the way you think. That would protect me from getting tickets while I'm parked or getting pulled over for an expired sticker... For that matter I could photograph a sticker from another car in high resolution and print it out on a color printer.
    But if I got pulled over for another reason.... I'd have a lot of 'splainin' too dooo...

Post Thanks / Like
    well you put your finger right on it. I'd end up dismantling much of the car and rewiring the whole thing, assuming I could get a wiring harness from another car with every single connection labeled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by itsymbal View Post
    well you put your finger right on it. I'd end up dismantling much of the car and rewiring the whole thing, assuming I could get a wiring harness from another car with every single connection labeled.
    The connectors don't necessarily need to be labeled (although that is convenient). The Subaru owner's manual has a detailed layout of the wiring harness that can be used to identify connectors. So you can either buy a used harness and modify it yourself or pay someone (like iWire) to modify it for your 818. Used harnesses and ECUs are available on eBay for cheap ($200-300). The latter options runs about $2k.

Post Thanks / Like
    All of these half hearted and illegal solutions are what make this so difficult, there are people form The DMV and the EPA that monitor sites like these,

THis is very doable. I encourage you to call a motorist assistance center and get the facts.

IF you are not from mass,and have not gone through the process, I guaranty you don't understand it, and are not helping the situation here.,
    Last edited by FFinisher; 07-31-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure.

Until about Spring of this year (if I am remembering the conversation correctly - though it might have been last year) - it was possible to get an exemption for the car from the requirement for smog inspection. That is no longer possible. The car must now pass smog inspection, instead of just a safety inspection which was the case before.

For smog inspection in MA you need to have a usable OBDII port, which means using original ECU and wiring harness.
    This car uses the Electromotive ECU, which does not have an OBDII port at all. No port, no smog inspection. No inspection means registration gets canceled. This is where the exemption would have been useful - but that's no longer possible in Massachusetts.
    All untrue. Call the Motorist assistance center for the facts. Exemption is still possible.

Also registrtion and nspection are two seperate process and and are unrelated to each other, Although you have to have each to be legal in mass.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    What I said is true. Exemption is not possible.
    I did call the MAC (motorist assistance center - in Medford). Actually you don't call them, you call the Registry and open a ticket and they call you back. There's no direct number for them or even an address for them.

They told me explicitly - don't even bother registering the car. You will not pass smog. There's no exemptions any more. They said if you have access to a dealer plate or a repair plate you could drive with that.
    Yes, registration is separate. I could register the car and probably get a title (probably). Possibly not even that. They would require me to go to the state police inspection station , show receipts for the donor car and all the parts that went into the car - which I don't have. Also, I would need to buy and install two brand-new not-from-donor catalytic converters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did they say why 2 converters? Is it because the donor had 2? I think they also want a new charcoal canister and O2 sensors, is that correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Was your car titled or certificate of origin?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a name, number and address for the location in Shrewsbury,. You can get a clunker exeption., I have a car that I will be using for this.

If you want the info send me a PM, If you would rather just sell the car, that is your deal.

it can be done for the rest of you who are reading this.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mush View Post
    Was your car titled or certificate of origin?
    The car is currently titled in Alabama.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since the car is already titled, why would you have to show anything to do with the donor? You should be able to take the title and transfer it into your name (yes, I realize that the inspection is separate), but don't understand how any DMV could say that they won't honor the title of a car legally titled in another state.

Whatever year, make, model it is on the Alabama title should be sufficient.
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey let's try and not hijack this thread....Ilya is selling the car...I would suggest opening another thread on how to get a car with stand alone injection inspected in Mass.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik, he might not understand he can keep the car with the clunker exception.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's fine..just seems like we are getting off track is all....He didn't post for help...he posted to sell the car. There maybe other reasons for his sale or other people might be interested in the car at the same time, and this discuss seems to detract from the "for sale forum"...maybe it's me...
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik you are correct. If he wants to sell it to a buyer from MA, should look into the clunker exception. Glws, it is a beautiful car and definitely priced to sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Erik.
    You have a good point. This information would be useful for other people and more properly belongs in the registration - MASS thread and also perhaps in electrical systems thread. To warn other builders - if you want to register the car in Mass, don't install the Electromotive ECU.

I'll post there once the car is sold.

I also don't mind having the discussion on this thread - keeps it visible in the forum

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Yes, it's possible to get this very car registered in Mass, but not practical - it would require a new wiring harness plus installation plus a couple of new cats plus charcoal filter etc - that's assuming I can get all the required receipts. Easily three grand worth of parts and work, which would not add a penny to the value of the car. Meanwhile someone else can register the car in their own state, no fuss no muss - or at least without very much fuss. I have other reasons for selling the car - I just started a new job last week, and no longer need a car at all. With three other cars in the family, plus an Outback that's for sale - I'm running out of room. All this adds up to this car being up for sale. Someone will enjoy it and give it a good home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Move to New Hampshire.

Post Thanks / Like
    So can't you try to claim that the 818 is based upon the G12P and thus you are going after look-alike and fall under some hot-rod bill or antique car bill ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastcobras View Post
    Move to New Hampshire.
    New Hampshire wouldn't help me. Maine would work though. They only have a visual safety inspection, no smog, except in the county where Portland is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    So can't you try to claim that the 818 is based upon the G12P and thus you are going after look-alike and fall under some hot-rod bill or antique car bill ?
    The requirements are based on what ever car was used as a donor. If this car used a donor that didn't have an OBD2 port I'd be home free.

Post Thanks / Like

Two words: Dealer Plate

I managed to borrow a dealer plate as a favor... Took my dad out for a ride.
    Car01.jpgCar02.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I managed to borrow a dealer plate as a favor... Took my dad out for a ride.
    Car01.jpgCar02.jpg
    And.......What did he think, better yet........

Are you keeping it now?

Post Thanks / Like
    He was very impressed with the speed. He didn't quite know what to expect from the experience, particularly the proximity of the engine and vrrroommm.... pshhh..
    But no, I'm still not keeping it. The dealer plate was a one-time thing. Having a dealer or a repair plate would be a workable solution though. I know one guy through my racing club who sometimes drives his Atom on the street with his dealer plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    New Hampshire wouldn't help me. Maine would work though. They only have a visual safety inspection, no smog, except in the county where Portland is.
    Yep. Except in Cumberland County. Where Portland is. This is going to end up causing me some serious grief....

Also, I know this has devolved a long way from the "for sale" thread you posted, but if you're interested in keeping it, you should reach out to East Coast Swappers. I think they're in CT. They specialize in Subaru swaps and building custom harnesses. Their rates are pretty reasonable from what I remember. I bet you could get an OBDII compliant harness from them for a price that could be substantially offset by selling the Electromotive Tec-S system that's in the car now to another builder in a state that doesn't need OBDII.

http://eastcoastswappers.com
    Last edited by projectrally; 08-19-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by projectrally View Post
    Yep. Except in Cumberland County. Where Portland is. This is going to end up causing me some serious grief....

Also, I know this has devolved a long way from the "for sale" thread you posted, but if you're interested in keeping it, you should reach out to East Coast Swappers. I think they're in CT. They specialize in Subaru swaps and building custom harnesses. Their rates are pretty reasonable from what I remember. I bet you could get an OBDII compliant harness from them for a price that could be substantially offset by selling the Electromotive Tec-S system that's in the car now to another builder in a state that doesn't need OBDII.

http://eastcoastswappers.com

You bring up a good point. This occurred to me also - the electromotive ECU can be sold to recover some of the cost of upgrade. And I can probably get the OEM harness fairly cheap from another builder - possibly even from whomever buys the Electromotive. But the OEM harness is a royal mess of 30 lbs of wires and connectors, and making heads and tales of it would cost a lot of either time or money (same thing). So even after subtracting whatever I can recover from selling the ECU it would still cost several thousand to make the car compliant, and it's not clear I can get all of the receipts from the parts that went into making the car.... all in all an uphill battle.
    So - I'll be selling the car now.

Perhaps a few years down the line when my kids are a few years older I can take on a building project and make it a grandfather-father-son-daughter experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you've already decided to sell... and this has been said already, but Mass has a "clunker" program where you can take the title of an old vehicle (one of the guys I'm sure can tell you the years) with an engine displacement greater/equal to your 818 and "scrap" the car. In theory replacing that cars carbon footprint for yours.

I'm sure you can find a currently titled 4cly, 20 (?) year old car for a few hundred bucks and be legal.

Take Ron up on his offer to help with his contact at the MAC center. Mike at the MAC in Shrewsbury was very understanding and knows what needs to be done to get you legal

You've gone this far, having a titled and insured car will make it easier to sell too

oh, and good luck with the car, she's beautiful

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pointer JoeT. I will check into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dropping price to 25,750 OBO

Post Thanks / Like
    Droping the price to 25,500 OBO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast