Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Buzz Skyline's 818s

Post Thanks / Like

Buzz Skyline's 818s

They tell me Stewart is picking up my 818s kit today, and it should get to my home in Maryland tomorrow.

I already have a license plate that says FFR 8I8 (FFR 818 was taken, but "I" is just the Roman numeral for 1 anyway), which will be on my daily driver until I transfer it to the 818 in a year or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to see another local builder, welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new baby. It's lots of fun.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the reason FFR 818 is taken in MD is because that was the standard numbering scheme for a long time. 3 letters followed by 3 numbers. Probably got randomly assigned to a Prius or something. I checked and FFR818S is available, but I haven't decided if I'm going to try to take it. I'm not inclined to give MD any more money than they already take from me and the annual fee for a personalized plate is silly. I could see a one time fee for making the plate or something like that, but $50/year extra is silly. Buzz, not calling you silly for getting a custom plate, I think it's fine if it's worth it to you.

Larry

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    They tell me Stewart is picking up my 818s kit today, and it should get to my home in Maryland tomorrow.
    Congrats, mine is supposed to be picked up today as well. No idea when I will get it though. What do you have planned for the build?

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry, I was torn over getting the plate for the very reasons you mention. In the end it was one of those impulse things as I sat on the forums waiting and waiting for the kit to arrive. It's about 2 weeks later than I'd expected, and idle hands are dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like
    If Steve does your delivery say hi for me! Congrats on nearly getting yours in and can't wait to follow your build -I'm right around the corner.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Congrats, mine is supposed to be picked up today as well. No idea when I will get it though. What do you have planned for the build?
    Hi Hindsight, have you heard from the driver yet? Where are you located?

I'm starting with a pretty basic build. 2002 WRX and no extras (splitter, wing, soft top, etc.). The donor used to be my son's car, which we raced in SCCA rallycross in the stock AWD category, so it didn't have any mods to speak of. It'll just have the stock 225 horses to begin with. I have an LSD that I might drop in the trans as my first mod, and a Cobb access port to bump things up once I find out how it feels with the stock horse power.

I like to tinker so I'll be modifying it over time. Although I hope to race it in SCCA autocross next year, so I'll have to check the rules about modifications.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, good to have another builder not too far away.

Hell once we're all done we'll be able to have an 818 meet.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good mod strategy. No reason to do it all up front. Enjoy the car and mod it over time. I think the LSD should be considered mandatory on a car this light. It is one of the few mods I am doing up front for sure.

I am in Atlanta. Haven't heard from the driver. My completion date was way back on the 12th. I called them a few times and was told different things each time so I am just going to relax and wait now. Still have some garage work to finish and a donor to strip so I guess there is no rush on the kit arrival.

Do you have a targeted completion date? I am shooting for spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just heard from the driver, Don Furr. He's going to drop off a car a little north of me in Columbia, MD on Thursday. Then he'll be here around 11 AM. I imagine he'll be in Atlanta a day or two later.

My completion date was July 14, so it's taken a bit more than 2 weeks to get here. That seems about average, from the other posts I've seen.

I agree, the LSD is the highest priority mod. The traction control system seems like a good idea too. Some of the demo videos I've seen on this forum are pretty promising.
    Last edited by Buzz Skyline; 07-30-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buzz,
    You've got my build just north of you in Savage and Westview is in Columbia. we are both ahead of you by different amounts so don't be afraid to yell if you need/want to.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Larry. I appreciate it. I've been following your build off and on, and I've been impressed. That motor looks amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Hindsight, Don Furr has been trying to reach you to arrange delivery. Can you call him ASAP at 817-565-5552? He says he'll be there Saturday or sooner.

-Buzz

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Buzz, thanks. I didn't see this until just now. Actually just got off the phone with him. He must have written down my number wrong. Anyway he says he will deliver to me on Saturday. Perfect timing. Can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I hate checking packing lists.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me know how many items are missing, but show as being included. I haven't even begun digging into mine yet. I only had 6 things on my back order list and they are already on the way to me via Fedex except for the fuel filler neck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't torqued the bolts down yet, but I've loosely hung the front suspension and steering rack in place. The lower brackets where the shocks attach have lots of weld material that keep the bolts from threading all the way down, which leads to some scraping of the shock. I'm going to grind them down before I tighten it all up.

Last edited by Buzz Skyline; 08-12-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you just going to grind down the welds on those lower shock brackets? I have the same issue where there is a decent amount of visible space between the bolt head and spacer due to the welding job on those brackets. I was wondering if it would be a problem once it is at ride height or not. It definitely scrapes paint/metal off of the lower shock with the way it is currently. Has anybody else had this issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to grind some of the weld fillet to get my bolts to seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm definitely going to grind them down, as little as possible to get the bolt to seat. I think I only have the issue with one of the bolts on each bracket. I don't like the idea of the scraping when there's no load on the shock. Who knows what would happen once you start driving. I also worry that it's putting the ball joint under stress in a way it's not designed to handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Grinding down the lower brackets.

IMG_0004_3 (640x427).jpg

They fit fine now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Grinding down the front lower shock brackets.

IMG_0004_3 (640x427).jpg

They fit fine now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buzz,

I am in Silver Spring. My 818 was delivered by Stewart in mid-July. I am documenting my build at FFR818.Wordpress.com.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John,

I haven't been on the forum much lately, and just saw your comment. Wow, we're very nearby each other. I'd love to stop by sometime to take a look at your build.

It seems like a good idea to make a build blog. The build threads on this forum are nice to have, but really hard to search and use for help. I may start a blog as well.

My build is a lot grungier than most (and certainly nowhere near as clean as yours). I'm pretty much throwing on pieces straight out of our retired rally car, dirt and all. Mostly it's because I have a one-year-old and a four-year-old, which really limits my time. I'm also thinking of upgrading things in the coming years, including replacing the engine (possibly with a diesel Subaru motor), swapping in aluminum control arms, installing a sequential gear box, and a few other things. So I'm just leaving the current pieces dirty and unpainted.

All the best,

James (aka Buzz Skyline)

Post Thanks / Like
    The WRX coolant overflow bottle is ugly, so I made my own.

20141014_130735.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    The WRX coolant overflow bottle is ugly, so I made my own.

20141014_130735.jpg
    I love it, very custom.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been too diligent about updating my build thread, but I've been getting some stuff done. This is me and my oldest daughter going for a go-cart ride. It was cold, but the neighbor kids had to have rides too, and were very disappointed when I put it away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my before and after pics comparing my donor and 818. It's taken me ten months to get this far, and it will likely be registered and on the road in another month or so.

transformed.jpg
    Last edited by Buzz Skyline; 06-04-2015 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks pretty much completed! And the body panels look to fit pretty well!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work! What color are you going to paint it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! The last major thing I have to do before inspection is the windshield wipers, but then that are lots of things I'll be doing soon after it's registered (AWIC, for one).

My daughter wants it painted pink. I think the compromise will be matte black with an STI pink racing stripe running down the passenger side.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't very good at updating my build thread, but now, just about a year after I started building, my 818S is titled, registered, safety inspected and insured.

Thanks to John G for posting so much about the titling and registration process in Maryland. It wasn't nearly as bad as the stories I've heard about some other states. I tried to get the required Maryland safety inspection at my local garage, but they couldn't figure out how to get the lift under the car due to the lack of clearance. So I followed John G's example and went to the great folks at Auto Italia in Rockville, MD. (They did the obvious and used floor jacks to put 2x6 boards under the tires to give the lift arms space.) Here's my car in the air for inspection

11954732_10207820236484235_7280715380789426437_n.jpg

I've put about a hundred miles on it since the inspection at lunch today. What a blast!

Now it's time to get the 818 ready for our town's annual labor day parade. I'll be leading the Greenbelt, MD Makers Space group while my five-year-old daughter rides shotgun and throws candy to the kids along the parade route.
    Last edited by Buzz Skyline; 08-27-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    "while my five-year-old daughter rides shotgun and throws candy to the kids along the parade route"
    . . . sounds very cute. We need pictures of that!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on registration!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another lucky B!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021