Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hanging the Body

Post Thanks / Like

Hanging the Body

Hi All. I'm scheduled to pick up my MkIV this weekend and, I'll admit, I'm getting a little nervous/overwhelmed at what I'm about to get into! I am still excited, though.

Question for you: I'm trying to figure out what to do with the body once I get it home. Being limited on ground real estate one idea I'd like to investigate is hanging the body from my garage ceiling. Has anyone else done something like this? Also, will I need a body buck in order to pick up my kit?

Thanks!!
    Shannon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sph427 View Post
    Hi All. I'm scheduled to pick up my MkIV this weekend and, I'll admit, I'm getting a little nervous/overwhelmed at what I'm about to get into! I am still excited, though.

Question for you: I'm trying to figure out what to do with the body once I get it home. Being limited on ground real estate one idea I'd like to investigate is hanging the body from my garage ceiling. Has anyone else done something like this? Also, will I need a body buck in order to pick up my kit? Thanks!! Shannon
    No, you don't need a body buck to pick up your kit. The body is temporarily mounted to the frame along with a number of the larger aluminum panels. The balance is a number of boxes. You will need a way to rest the frame rails on whatever vehicle or trailer you're using. If you got the powder coated frame, you'll want it to be padded so you don't scratch up your beautiful new frame.

Lots of guys have hung the body while working on the chassis. Most make a body buck type frame, and hang that with the body resting on it. Another choice is an elevated body buck on rollers that rolls over your chassis. I've done that with both of my builds. I don't have enough height in my garage to hang the body. With the elevated body buck I was able to keep the builds (mostly...) in one bay of my two bay garage.

Good luck with your build! Take it a step at a time. Ask for help when needed. Oh and make sure to post pictures. We love pictures.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-29-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Search here and on the other forum. There are many threads showing this.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can look at my Build thread - Brian's Virginia Build to see how I hung mine, which largely borrowed from searching others' threads. Simply build the body buck and add 2x4 cross members to attach pulleys to and you can hoist it to the ceiling. Search for Laser Stan's modified buck for the MKIV as well. It fits the end better. I haven't had any problems at all since I hoisted it up and tied it off. I think the parts may have cost me an additional $30 or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    sph - I took a different approach than most. I didn't want to build a wooden monstrosity (buck) to either put on the ground or hang from the ceiling. I saw one really cool solution where someone hung a buck from the ceiling but I'm not thrilled about hanging several hundred pounds of wood and fiberglass from my crappy pressboard joists.

I built a very light platform from 2 x4's and very thin plywood. I then used Harken http://www.hoister.com/productdetail...6161&taxid=648 hoists to lift the platform and body to my 12 foot ceilings. The body is sitting flat on the platform but I have 24 inch braces under the windshield mount holes as recommended by FFR.

I'm traveling but will try to post pictures when I'm back home next week.
    Last edited by Gmcole92; 07-30-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much, everyone.

Gmcole92 - I look forward to seeing those pics. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    sph,
    Another option is to build a raised buck on rollers. Roll it forward then working on the car, back for storage.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I see several photos of a wooden rolling cart or hoist mounted wooden frame that supports the body until you are ready to mount it on the "go-cart". Does the kit come with this wooden structure or do you have to build it? If you do, does anyone have access to templates for the under body support plywood structures?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KolonelKraig View Post
    I see several photos of a wooden rolling cart or hoist mounted wooden frame that supports the body until you are ready to mount it on the "go-cart". Does the kit come with this wooden structure or do you have to build it? If you do, does anyone have access to templates for the under body support plywood structures?
    No, the kit doesn't come with any of that. It's all DIY.

Here's a link for body bucks, with additional embedded links for templates, an elevated version, etc: http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/bodybuck.html.

Those all work OK for a Mk4, although another forum member updated the rear template to make it fit the Mk4 even better: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/attachm...-body-buck.pdf

Here is my Mk4 elevated body buck made using above plans and templates. Some of the same pieces can easily be used to make a frame for hanging.

Last edited by edwardb; 07-30-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    No, the kit doesn't come with any of that. It's all DIY.

Here's a link for body bucks, with additional embedded links for templates, an elevated version, etc: http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/bodybuck.html.

Those all work OK for a Mk4, although another forum member updated the rear template to make it fit the Mk4 even better: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/attachm...-body-buck.pdf

Here is my Mk4 elevated body buck made using above plans and templates. Some of the same pieces can easily be used to make a frame for hanging.

Ya da man! THX!

Post Thanks / Like
    About how much does a Mk IV body weigh?

12. Likes mdutton11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    100-150 lbs? Manageable for two people.
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Question for you: I'm trying to figure out what to do with the body once I get it home. Being limited on ground real estate one idea I'd like to investigate is hanging the body from my garage ceiling. Has anyone else done something like this? Also, will I need a body buck in order to pick up my kit?

Thanks!!
    Shannon
    I made the typical body buck, but eye bolts in the four corners, then eye bolts in the rafters of the garage. Add two lengths of rope and you've got a hanging body.
    Build Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    I read somewhere it's in the 180 lb range, although I don't know if that includes the trunk, hood, and doors. Agree it's pretty manageable with two people, but with a couple caveats. Make a brace to fit between the rear cockpit wall and the dash opening. The instructions show this as I recall. Keeps it from flexing too much in the middle around the door openings. The Mk4 is much better than previous Mk's because of the wrap-around sill. But still best to keep from flexing it too far. Also when you're putting it on the chassis, especially after it's painted, you'll probably want more people to spread it around the center, keep from damaging anything, etc. One on each side (total 4) is pretty ideal. You'll also want to take the center brace out once it's painted. Another reason to have more people at that point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I read somewhere it's in the 180 lb range, although I don't know if that includes the trunk, hood, and doors. Agree it's pretty manageable with two people, but with a couple caveats. Make a brace to fit between the rear cockpit wall and the dash opening. The instructions show this as I recall. Keeps it from flexing too much in the middle around the door openings. The Mk4 is much better than previous Mk's because of the wrap-around sill. But still best to keep from flexing it too far. Also when you're putting it on the chassis, especially after it's painted, you'll probably want more people to spread it around the center, keep from damaging anything, etc. One on each side (total 4) is pretty ideal. You'll also want to take the center brace out once it's painted. Another reason to have more people at that point.
    Ah, yeah. Forgot about that. Two people can carry and maneuver the body around just fine. But getting the body on and off the chassis does require a couple extra hands to prevent scraping everything.
    Build Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input, gang. One related question: Can someone tell me the length and width of the body? Sorry if this info should be obvious to me, but I've searched the forum for awhile and found nothing, and I also searched the assembly manual with no luck. I need to make sure I've got the storage space I'll need.

Shannon

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input, gang. One related question: Can someone tell me the length and width of the body? Sorry if this info should be obvious to me, but I've searched the forum for awhile and found nothing, and I also searched the assembly manual with no luck. I need to make sure I've got the storage space I'll need. Shannon
    Just walked out and measured for you. The Mk4 body only is approx 13 ft long and 6 ft wide. And though you didn't ask, approx 32 inch high from sill to center of the dash. This is just the raw body, without bumpers, windshield, etc. Just eyeballed these with a tape measure, but should be pretty close. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward - That's an awesome help. Thanks a ton for doing that!

Best,
    Shannon

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess this is late, and dont know if it will come thru ..

dim.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, fordboy...with the stripe measurements, even! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    The neat thing about this forum is that between a handfull of guys that are very active in responding, myself not included in this list, there aint a question you can ask that will stump them. A couple of them will shoot you pictures or send you a link from their build that concern your question. Definitely a trump card for Factory Five.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoot me an email ([email protected]), and I'll send you everything you need to hang the body from the ceiling. This funky site won't let me load much.

Post Thanks / Like
    The price of the pulleys and hooks from the hardware store can add up. I used two bicycle hoist from amazon for $15 each, plus a better rope from harbor freight for $6. Each hoist has three pulleys, one set on the front and one on the back work great. I alternated between raising the front and back until it was all the way up.