Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Laguna race video from the SLC at Laguna

Post Thanks / Like

Laguna race video from the SLC at Laguna

Sunday's race. You make the call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfX6Rg1W-BA

Post Thanks / Like
    You where there, and holding your line. Your nose was at least at the front tire. Whats the rule, when is it considered stick it in there, and your fault. When is it considered your line, and the other guys fault?

There must have been drama, I love that part of racing. That's what makes it fun, the rivalry.

Thanks for sharing you guys, love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always risky stealing an apex

Post Thanks / Like
    Our league's rules say "Responsibility in overtaking. Under all conditions, both the passed and the passing car shall be equally responsible for the safe passing of one by the other." so both of you would get a "avoidable contact" fine of $50 or so. Also I can't believe that there was not yellow flag out with the sitting on the right hand side just off the line (about 2:20 into clip), last station I saw was @ 2:10 with no yellow
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 07-31-2014 at 03:43 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    Our league's rules say "Responsibility in overtaking. Under all conditions, both the passed and the passing car shall be equally responsible for the safe passing of one by the other." so both of you would get a "avoidable contact" fine of $50 or so.
    It does look, both, at some fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is all about perspective.

https://vimeo.com/102178015

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see how the SLC driver thought they might be able to stick a nose in and make the pass on the exit as the GTM was not protecting the inside line.

I also know it's pretty hard to see things as clearly as they look from the SLC when you are driving the mirrors in the GTM.

When you are passing it's your responsibility to get by without contact. At no time did the SLC have control of the corner.

Hey people make mistakes but I'd say since the GTM is ahead and controls the corner at all times it's the SLC that should have checked up and made the pass later in the lap.

Hey I get it if the SLC waited he might lose touch with the cars ahead. But that's how it goes. The passing dynamic is one of the things that's very different with cars and bikes. First lap sure it was great to gap people on cold tires. But with cars it's much harder to pass as everyone gets into a rhythm.

It clearly was not intentional contact. It's good both cars have fiberglass bodies.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    It was avoidable contact since both cars went into the turn know the other one was there, both are responsible for the pass, it sucks but its racing, glad no one went off or got spun.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    It was avoidable contact since both cars went into the turn know the other one was there, both are responsible for the pass, it sucks but its racing, glad no one went off or got spun.
    Yep I'm not taking sides. It was avoidable. Both drivers could have yielded a bit. But like you say nobody went off. That's a good thing.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a dive bomb pass to me and from the video I would say its the SLC drivers fault. the NASA CCR rule that comes into play...

"Figure 4
    Car B is attempting to pass Car A going into a left-hand corner. There is contact between the two cars at point 3. Car B does have its front wheel next to the driver of Car A and therefore does have a right to be there. However, Car A leaves Car B less than one car width but more than 3⁄4 of one car width. The driver of Car B should not have attempted to make that pass if he/she was not willing to drive into the dirt to avoid collision. The driver of Car B is at fault, however he/she should report the incident to the Race Director. The Race Director should talk to the driver of Car A for not watching his/her mirrors, as well as the driver of Car B for being at fault in the incident."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DrAwender; 08-01-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone notice the yellow Porsche that slammed the wall on lap 2? Ouch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve (driving the GTM) saw the SLC in the mirror at three to four car lengths behind as he was entering (following the Norma) into the "race line". As Steve followed the line, he did lose Chris in the mirrors as the mirror angles changed. A veteran driver of both the GTM and the SLC, Chris knows how difficult it is to see both these cars in corner passing conditions.

Some here, say that the Slc is capable of making the turn that he approached the inside. I don't believe that is the case as his approaching angle would have forced him to
    button hook the exit and it didn't happen. From our camera views (2) it looked like a bad slide job that shouldn't have happened on the first lap or at all.

See you at the races,
    Next race: Aug 30 at Thunderhill/lots of surprises this time out: Possibles: new drivers, car MORE FUN!