BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake Line Routing

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Line Routing

Anyone have any clear pics or overall schematics for the brake lines ? I'm going to start and want to run them down the center tunnel and then tee off to each side. I also assume I can run the clutch line down the center also.

Why is no one running the bias line down the center console and thus can be adjusted from there ?
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 07-31-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to run my valve on the console. Plavan has a remote dial that he used on his thread which requires less plumbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went around the sides to minimize fitment issues further along the build. The path of least resistance if you will. If you go over the fuel tank, plan the brake line extenders/connectors so that you have a removable section where it passes over the fuel tank, juuuust in case. I can't speak for the FFR fuel tank crowd, but in my Boyd tank/modified firewall/stock wire harness setup, I have a bit of a bottleneck in the middle of the fuel tank. It is very crowded there. Food for thought.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
    I went around the sides to minimize fitment issues further along the build. The path of least resistance if you will. If you go over the fuel tank, plan the brake line extenders/connectors so that you have a removable section where it passes over the fuel tank, juuuust in case. I can't speak for the FFR fuel tank crowd, but in my Boyd tank/modified firewall/stock wire harness setup, I have a bit of a bottleneck in the middle of the fuel tank. It is very crowded there. Food for thought.
    I was not going to go over the fuel cell but under the fuel cell through the 2x2 that exist there and once through split the line for each side.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go under the tank, you're going to need to put spacers under it - it's supposed to sit flat on the floor. There isn't a lot of room before the filler neck hits the frame. I thought about doing this, but decided that any support structure I built that I was happy with would raise the filler neck up too high.

I ended up running it around the sides. I also used NiCopp line from a spool so I have no unions and I ditched the adapters for flare nuts that work on 3/16th line but have metric threads. I probably have ten fewer joints than if I had followed the manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    If you go under the tank, you're going to need to put spacers under it - it's supposed to sit flat on the floor. There isn't a lot of room before the filler neck hits the frame. I thought about doing this, but decided that any support structure I built that I was happy with would raise the filler neck up too high.

I ended up running it around the sides. I also used NiCopp line from a spool so I have no unions and I ditched the adapters for flare nuts that work on 3/16th line but have metric threads. I probably have ten fewer joints than if I had followed the manual.
    I have a fuel cell so I have redesigned the fuel neck filler, and placement, I have put in 1/8" steel floors where the seats mount and it extends to the rear over the frame, so this give me a false bottom where the fuel cell fits, otherwise I would just take the lines through the frame (the 2x2) by drilling a hole through them and not under them. I would be using something like this http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stainl...kSxhoCW1Xw_wcB
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 08-01-2014 at 01:32 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I shot my rear brake lines down the center tunnel, tee'd it at the rear, but I didn't have to worry about a fuel cell there. I still ran the clutch line down the side.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    That'll do it.

But, for anyone with a stock setup thinking about this - the frame rail is behind the tank. The only thing under the tank is a sheet of 12 gauge steel. You would still need to go through the frame, but that's the smallest problem. Also, after you get through the frame, the exhaust is right there, so you have to make a really quick turn. I would mount that fitting backwards and screw a tee into the NPT side of it. For all of these reasons, I went around. My tee is behind the driver's side rear corner of the tank, allowing me to run the line to the right brake on top of the frame tube.

As for the clutch, if you run it down the center, then you either have to go over or around the engine. Over gets in the way when pulling the engine - around defeats the point of running down the center console.

Finally, I don't like putting brake fluid near electrical wires. The wire insulation should be resistant, but brake fluid makes a mess of everything it touches. I think a good rule is to keep fluid lines as low as possible and out of the passenger compartment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will use a SS braided clutch line from rear firewall to slave cylinder so engine removal will not be an issue (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    I would mount that fitting backwards and screw a tee into the NPT side of it.
    That is what I was planning to do so it's snug agents the frame and as far away from the exhaust heat as I can get it. I may also take it down the tunnel and then make a turn at the fuel cell tray (left or right) and head a little way down to avoid the majority of the exhaust and then head back and do the tee (on the engine side of the firewall) so (just so the tee is the farthest way from the exhaust as I can get it) as if I have leaks that is not a good spot.
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 08-01-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not run it down the side and save yourself a lot of aggravation? Theres plenty of room, and no issues with heat, electric or frame interference.

I teed off the line where the braided line connects to the left wheel I then ran the right side line under the engine.
    Mike