Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: K818S Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    Factory Five's was not my choice option. My first choice was.....

http://www.hotcarszone.com/wp-conten...ni-3_thumb.jpg

My wife countered with.....

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/B...172/108666.jpg

In the end....the Factory Five option was clearly the best choice.
    Hahahaha, I think you made the right choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Factory Five's was not my choice option. My first choice was.....

http://www.hotcarszone.com/wp-conten...ni-3_thumb.jpg

My wife countered with.....

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/B...172/108666.jpg

In the end....the Factory Five option was clearly the best choice.
    I will take number 1
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enough of the girly stuff! LOL. Today I was able to start on the front end, fenders and front hood. Still lots of adjusting, trimming and fitting to do. But I like how it is all lining up so far.. Make sure your radiator frame is square and correct height at body pickup points.

IMG_0933.JPGIMG_0934.JPGIMG_0935.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe it or not I have been working on the K818S. Just nothing exciting to post. After trimming all 3 hoods, I started mounting hood pins. Mr. K. wants screws for the plates for easy removal when his body man does final body work and vinyl wrap. Also got in the speaker baffles. Make for a nice install IMO. I also installed the wheel well splash guards. I found out that the kit came with 2 RR wheel well half moon tins. Also door pulls missing. FFR is send the right stuff down to me. Boy what a great company to deal with IMO. Here are some pics. Still waiting on seats, but should be here in a couple weeks. I have made every body part removable with screws or pins. This way body shop and wrap guy will not have to drill out rivets to finish up car.

IMG_0936.JPGIMG_0942.JPGIMG_0945.JPGIMG_0946.JPGIMG_0947.JPGIMG_0948.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Has the hood and fenders be trimmed the clear out the windshield, like you mentioned about your other car in that other thread in Body section?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I found out that the kit came with 2 RR wheel well half moon tins.
    That's funny. Mine came with two lefts.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Has the hood and fenders be trimmed the clear out the windshield, like you mentioned about your other car in that other thread in Body section?
    Yes I trimmed both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking fantastic!!

How I your Coupe going? You must be getting excited.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have made every body part removable with screws or pins. This way body shop and wrap guy will not have to drill out rivets to finish up car.
    I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Could you elaborate on "screws"? Seems like rivnuts/bolts would be the best option. Is fiberglass really resilient enough to handle screwing/unscrewing screws multiple times? Any recommendation on which screws to use for this if that's a decent option? Or, any recommendation on re-inforcing the fiberglass for screws?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellimist View Post
    I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Could you elaborate on "screws"? Seems like rivnuts/bolts would be the best option. Is fiberglass really resilient enough to handle screwing/unscrewing screws multiple times? Any recommendation on which screws to use for this if that's a decent option? Or, any recommendation on re-inforcing the fiberglass for screws?
    I used the screw that came with the hood pins. Kalstar will be removing body panels and such. Normally I would rivet the chrome rings after paint. For the body here is what I use.
    I use 10-32 screws to the frame in the larger diameter frame rails. I use a drill tap and tap threads into the frame. Elseware I use 10-24 or 1/4 - 20 rivnuts. In low stress areas I use screws that are in the kit. Still use rivets for most aluminum panels.
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-05-2015 at 07:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking fantastic!!

How I your Coupe going? You must be getting excited.
    Check out my latest post on the coupe. It is in 1st stage primer. Yes I am getting antsy. But your kit is coming along nicely and has given me a lot of pride to get closer to the finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out my latest post on the coupe. It is in 1st stage primer. Yes I am getting antsy. But your kit is coming along nicely and has given me a lot of pride to get closer to the finish.
    You have earned that pride. Well done my friend!

I will check out your coupe build log now.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last few days I have been trying to finish up the body work stuff. I mounted all the panels and hood pins. I made an adjustable brace for the rear bumper. It was flexing out too far. I mounted the rear speakers in the hump area as per Mr. K. Also mounted the intercooler ducts. I added a little material to close gaps I had to the intercooler. I started on the wipers but found out I was missing the new wiper arms. I thought I had to use the donor ones. FFR set me straight and have a pair heading my way. Still waiting on seats and some other minor stuff. I will most likely move the K818S to my other rack and cover it up till all the parts arrive. I will get back to my coupe build the rest of this month and most of March as well. Here is some pics.

IMG_0955.JPGIMG_0957.JPGIMG_0949.JPGIMG_0950.JPGIMG_0959.JPGIMG_0958.JPGIMG_0951.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-09-2015 at 04:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are mounting the body so quickly and so perfect, nice job.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, I like the speakers in the humps. Are you using the kick panels or doors too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Looks great, I like the speakers in the humps. Are you using the kick panels or doors too?
    check out post 175. you can see the front speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started back on this build today some. I hope to finish this car and deliver it by the last week of March. The missing parts are supposed to be here by Wednesday this week. Today I mounted the mirrors and door panels. The padded FFR door panels are much better than the early version I got with my orange 818S IMO. I used plastic push pins as per my customers wishes. Personally I would have used screws. The panels fit fairly nice. I never got the t-weather-strip to put between the panel and the door. Mr. K will take care of that after delivery. I hope to start some carpet tomorrow. Here is some pics. Note: I put an access plug in the door panel near the striker to get to the child lock button in case it ever moves by accident.

IMG_0975.JPGIMG_0976.JPGIMG_0977.JPGIMG_0978.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry if you've already said and I'm not remembering - what side mirrors are you using on this build? Was thinking they were the same as orange car but they look different somehow.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the trim piece you used between the column and the dash, below the plastic subaru colummn cover piece? It looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellimist View Post
    Sorry if you've already said and I'm not remembering - what side mirrors are you using on this build? Was thinking they were the same as orange car but they look different somehow.
    Exact same mirrors. From Speedway. Ref other build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NBinSD View Post
    What's the trim piece you used between the column and the dash, below the plastic subaru colummn cover piece? It looks great.
    Same as my first 818. It is a piece of black headliner material.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made some aluminum panels for the rear corners of the interior. The pieces that FFR supplies do not fit very well IMO. I made these painted in black wrinkle paint and attached with a rivet. Much easier to install than the kits part IMO. I am working on the carpet some. Waiting for the seats to come tomorrow. Then I can finish up this in short order. Hopefully have the windshield installed next week.

IMG_0979.JPGIMG_0980.JPGIMG_0981.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I like what you did. You do an awesome job, I envy you.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the seats came yesterday. I was able to mount the subwoofer, finish the carpet, finish up the console and start to install the seats. I still have some custom brackets to make as well as terminate the seat belts as well. Then just some touch up stuff and have the windshield installed. The stereo sounds great. Shout out to Kalstar for the speakers and radio he got. Every thing works very well together. I was rocking out to some ZZ-Top while doing carpet, LOL. We had some issues with the seats but installed them anyway. Note: we installed the FFR supplied fuel tank. I am 6'3" tall with a 30" inseam and weigh about 240LBS. Not a lot of room IMO. If you are over 5"10" you should get the Boyd Tank IMO. Here are some photos.

IMG_0995.JPGIMG_0996.JPGIMG_0997.JPGIMG_0991.JPGIMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Installing these seats and the stock Subaru 3-point belts was a chore. But with a little praying I got it done. I am done with almost everything now. I am leaving off the hood and wiper cowl for Mauldin's Auto Glass to install the windshield on Tuesday 3/10/15. Then I will finish up anything left to be done. Give it a good wipe down and load it up to head to Kalstar by the 29th if weather permits. I have to help my brother Curt in Quakertown, PA. he is moving to a retirement/ nursing home and needs help cleaning his home for sale. He got Parkinson's a few years ago and it is getting progressively worse. So I will kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. Help out Curt and deliver the K818S. I kidded Kalstar that if I hit the lottery I would buy back my orange 818S, LOL. He is going to sell it now that his car is being delivered. Here is a few pics of the interior and it loading in my trailer to go to Mauldin's.

IMG_0998.JPGIMG_0999.JPGIMG_1000.JPGIMG_1001.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice job on interior and overall build man. Now your a veteran 818 builder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Thanks, It has been an interesting build. I do think that given all the parts to build right from the start, I can build one in 90 days or less. Parts delays took this build a lot longer than needed. I am happy with the outcome and look forward to building Factory five kits for customers in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    It does look fantastic! Lots of cool stuff to come. I have 2 cabinets filled with add-ons.

Aluminum Momo floor plates.
    I pad Mini mount.
    Wireless OBD2 reader (all info displayed on ipad)
    Real carbon fiber panels for covering the custom console Tom made.
    Carbon fiber fabric to match seats installed in doors and dash insert.
    Very cool electronic shift Knob
    Summit car heater
    Interior lights that work when you open the door
    Factory Five Carbon package (spoiler and rockers)
    Carbon fiber wing/spoiler.
    818 specific car cover
    Waiting on the roll of vinyl wrap to come in.
    Waiting on the Bluetooth front mount camera
    Waiting on the hardtop
    Of course also a dyno tune once back up here.

Tom thank you soooo much for building such an awesome canvas. I look forward to adding my custom touches (on top of those that you already installed for me). Well done indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget to get the t-weather-strip stuff to finish the door panels up. Check with FFR it is listed in the 818 manual update. I have all your paperwork ready, CD of all manual updates, Photos and instructions on how to completely take the body and seats out of the car. Look forward to seeing you on the 29th. I will post photos of the car after windshield installed. Looks like you will be a busy man, LOL. Lots of nice additions seem to be on the way. You have a good canvas to start with.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_1021.JPGIMG_1023.JPGIMG_1025.JPGIMG_1026.JPGIMG_1028.JPGIMG_1030.JPGIMG_1029.JPGIMG_1031.JPG

Well I picked up the K818S from Mauldin's Auto Glass today. They did a great job as usual. I was able to finish up the wipers and hood. Wipers work great, IMO. I like how they look too. Car looks good in photos. Due to being an early production body there are a lot of imperfections to be fixed IMO. This is where I stop and leave it to the customer to have a pro body man take care of the rest.

I want to take time to thank Kalstar for trusting me and being my first customer car. Also thanks to FFR, my wife Marsha and all the forum members as well. I have the car all covered up till I get back from South Florida on the 17th. I'll then load it up and head to Pa. to help out my brother move. Then go to Kalstar's on the 29th to deliver the K818S to its owner.

Post Thanks / Like
    For anyone who has followed this build and may be interested in me building a car for them, you can contact me either PM or at [email protected]. I can build any FFR car to this stage of completion for a fairly reasonable fee. There are lots of very good builders out there and I just want to let folks know I am available to talk to about it. It has been a pleasure doing this build and documenting it here in the forum. I hope I was some help to those building their own as they have been a help to me. TW.

IMG_1026.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    somebody let him build them another car! his build threads are always a pleasure to follow!

Post Thanks / Like
    When the car reaches up here, it will be dropped at SMG Motoring (F5R's chosen tuner). Toward the middle of May the car will be wrapped in orange chrome metallic with gunmetal accents to match the wheels. The final step will be to add all of the carbon fiber bits and pieces. Hopefully the coupe body will be ready for the open house.
    Last edited by Kalstar; 01-26-2016 at 08:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I moved my brother to State College,Pa. without any problems. I am about 20 minutes away from FFR tonight in a Marriot. I am taking Kalstars 818S to a tuner for him tommorow at noon. Then help him with a little machanicl work at his home later in the day. Supposed to snow tommorow, Yipes! LOL. Hope to be heading back to Florida by 6 PM tommorow. I may stop by FFR to see coupe top. I'll post pics when I get home on Monday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the car came in and it is better then the pics can show. Well done my friend, well done in deed....It really is a beautiful car, even in just gel coat it's still a stunner. Now the question is which one gets put up for sale the White one or the Orange one. Both have things the other does not. I don't need (2) 818's but this will be a hard choice.....Maybe first to sell, I keep the other....

Either way one of these cars will have the hard top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the car came in and it is better then the pics can show. Well done my friend, well done in deed....It really is a beautiful car, even in just gel coat it's still a stunner. Now the question is which one gets put up for sale the White one or the Orange one. Both have things the other does not. I don't need (2) 818's but this will be a hard choice.....Maybe first to sell, I keep the other....

Either way one of these cars will have the hard top.
    You could just keep both, loan one out at any given time, and swap the loaner every year or so. (Dibs on the first loan car, LOL)

Post Thanks / Like
    I made it home safe and sound. It was nice to be in Florida again. Here is some pics of FFR and the K818S at SMG waiting on its tune. I hit a ton of snow heading to Pa. on Saturday night. I slipped and slides but made it OK. LOL. Thanks again to Kalstar for allowing me to build him an 818. I am available if anyone would want a FFR car built.

IMG_1069.JPGIMG_1070.JPGIMG_1071.JPGIMG_1072.JPGIMG_1064.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Car was baselined tonight (real tuning will happen tomorrow). Running rich and slightly out of tune due to the CIA... the car put down 190 wheel. SMG Motoring feels there is as much as 30hp left in the tune. We will see what she puts down after the tune. Keep in mind this is basically bone stock except for the CIA (stock airbox was cracked). Figured it is good info for all the builders building near stock to know what to expect. A stock WRX looses about 22%DLL (165-170whp) so we are picking up about 8% by eliminating the AWD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good info, about what I came up with also. That's good power on stock trim. You should get another 30. I am going to road tune and then fully dyno again soon. April 18 myself and a friend who's an awesome local tuner are going to road tune it to make sure we're running safe. Than the dyno to see what this pig can put down.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast