BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: K818S Build Thread

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on the kit some this morning. I was able to cut out side openings in the sides as well as the gas cap. Also did the hood openings for the intercooler. No mesh here to maximize the air to the unit. I will make sure the duct work is best as it can be to the stock intercooler.

IMG_0667.JPGIMG_0669.JPGIMG_0671.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, How far have you gone with the new aluminum console when using the OEM harness? I'm having problems getting mine far enough forward... The FFR directions have the top tab connected to the dash, Joe tells me that they have connected it to the dash and the frame tubing... I need to work on my harness to get there. I'm also looking at putting in an access panel for the fuses and relays, your thoughts?

P1120148.JPG P1120149.JPG

It looks like the right side has to go beyond the tunnel aluminum all the way to the firewall and that angled portion really cuts into the foot well
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Tom, How far have you gone with the new aluminum console when using the OEM harness? I'm having problems getting mine far enough forward... The FFR directions have the top tab connected to the dash, Joe tells me that they have connected it to the dash and the frame tubing... I need to work on my harness to get there. I'm also looking at putting in an access panel for the fuses and relays, your thoughts?

P1120148.JPG P1120149.JPG

It looks like the right side has to go beyond the tunnel aluminum all the way to the firewall and that angled portion really cuts into the foot well
    Dan I am waiting on a bunch of parts and most likely 2-3 weeks from giving you an answer. Sorry. When I get there I'll post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a reason FFR doesn't want the passengers to have any foot room? Bothe designs have a significant angle into the passenger footwell area. Am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    Is there a reason FFR doesn't want the passengers to have any foot room? Bothe designs have a significant angle into the passenger footwell area. Am I missing something?
    I do know that the MK4 and Coupe also have reduced size passenger foot boxes. Not sure why but in the original Cobra it was not something they were concerned with. It was a race car first and foremost. It really does not take that much away IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's still wide enough for two big feet... It's room for the relays and fuse panel... I'm working on getting them mounted with easy access
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Due to unforeseen donor parts delays Mr. K. and myself have agreed to put the K818S build on hold, till I have all the needed parts in my possession. I am putting all of the 818 kit in storage on my 4 post lift till that time. I now have every thing to finish my Coupe build to get it to paint. So I am swapping out kits in my shop today. This will work to both our advantage since Mr. K. does not need the car in the winter up in the NE, and that is when all the big shows are here in the south. I hope to get back at the 818 in October or November. So most likely no posts from me here for a time. Look for posts in my coupe build though.

IMG_0673.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I sent my Type 65 Coupe out for paint last Wednesday. So I have some time on my hands till Feb. My hope is that I will get my needed donor parts soon for this build. hint,hint. Some stuff did come in so I descaled, blast cabbed and painted 2 used rear calipers and a rebuilt front one. Here are some before and after pics. I hope to move the 818 to my working lift this week and start back on it till my Coupe is done from paint. Hard to believe it has been 3 months since I worked on it. I also have some build threads to go through for ideas. Thanks to all that post. It helps so many others out.

IMG_0828.JPGIMG_0829.JPGIMG_0830.JPGIMG_0831.JPGIMG_0832.JPG

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice! I am painting my four pots as well and sure wish i had a blast cab. I just dont have the space for one. What paint are you using? I really like the vht caliper paint after the baking cure process. Its like glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Looks nice! I am painting my four pots as well and sure wish i had a blast cab. I just dont have the space for one. What paint are you using? I really like the vht caliper paint after the baking cure process. Its like glass.
    duplicolor caliper paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    And its back on!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a little time to work on the 818 today. I mounted the rear calipers and pads and the RF unit as well. I will bleed the system next week while I wait on parts.

IMG_0833.JPGIMG_0834.JPGIMG_0835.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a twisty rear braided line you got there. I guess it helps support the line as it sort of supports by itself cuz it's twisted?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    That's a twisty rear braided line you got there. I guess it helps support the line as it sort of supports by itself cuz it's twisted?
    IMO it keeps it from hitting the inside of the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, How early is that kit? remember we got adj rear transverse links
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Tom, How early is that kit? remember we got adj rear transverse links
    It is chassis #64. I am pretty sure I will have to get adjustable links to get the rear alignment right. The donor ones are bent. Owner wants to keep costs as low as possible so I will at least try to align it first.

Post Thanks / Like
    A ton of our wrecked donors were manhandled with a forklift after crashes... I just went the ebay route, already sold my FFR provided links

I wish that I had your weather!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I finally got the clutch stuff I needed as well as the missing intake parts. I hope to have it running and go cart it in 2-3 weeks. Here is the intake stuff I scored on eBay for $160. I also bought new Lower Lateral links. The donor ones are bent too much to align.

IMG_0836.JPGIMG_0837.JPGIMG_0838.JPGIMG_0839.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 12-12-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well after getting the trans back in I installed the missing A/F meter and such. I added 5 gallons of gas and after sitting for about a year it runs. Still have several wiring issues though. I plan on spending most of my time on these as well as make up some sort of exhaust for the secondary O2 sensor. It was nice to hear it run. seems to miss a little, but hopefully after getting everything hooked up and get rid of engine codes all will be better. Still a ton of work to do. Still waiting on a few parts as well. Hint Hint!!!! Here is a short video.

Post Thanks / Like
    OEM engine/trans mounts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boog View Post
    OEM engine/trans mounts?
    Yes all stock 2002 WRX donor. 80K miles. Intake and exhaust will be only stuff not stock or from the kit as far as the drive train.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. Any concerns about turbo to cross member interference?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boog View Post
    Looks good. Any concerns about turbo to cross member interference?
    I do not think there will be a problem IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I made a bracket for the air cleaner and mounted the rear over flow tank. I also wired and tested the front headlights, parking lights and turn signals. Mr. K. says parts are on the way so I can take it up a notch soon. LOL.

IMG_0848.JPGIMG_0849.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That Rustolum frame looks great!

Mr. K is such a slacker, he can not even get his own parts shipped to you in a timely fashion. I think you should forget to put the headlight fluid in or muffler bearing on. That will teach him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Wallace, off topic, are you satisfied of your QuickSystem PRO?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Wallace, off topic, are you satisfied of your QuickSystem PRO?

It does work Ok but is a little bit on the fragile side. For someone like myself that does about 2 alignments a year it is fine. I like that it fits any style wheel as opposed to my Longacre one that only fits wheels with a lip. It paid for itself after 2 alignments. It did come with a nice bag to keep it in. Directions and videos for its use are poor IMO. I would rate it a 6 out of 10. I hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tnx a lot Wallace, it does help. I know I will need a few alignments at first during the build to test fit things, align things while "things" are not fully in place permanently. I can't bring the car anywhere for alignment cuz it won't be registered yet and cannot without an alignment. Goes in circle.

If you were to do it again, would you still buy it considering value/price ratio? Or would you seriously check on something else?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    That Rustolum frame looks great!

Mr. K is such a slacker, he can not even get his own parts shipped to you in a timely fashion. I think you should forget to put the headlight fluid in or muffler bearing on. That will teach him.
    Mr. K. is not so bad. He just needs to be poked every now and then. LOL. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mounted the front overflow tank. I then mocked up my windshield, dash and center console. I needed to figure out where to put some of the electrical add-ons for this build. The center console will have to be modified some what. I remounted the shifter as the new manual update had in it. Now it hits the hole in the console. I also had to trim the top tab off for proper fit. I think I am going to shorten the shift handle some. Too high IMO. Also I am making a access plate for the front fuse panel. I will make the center part of the console removable for ease of repair or modifications down the road. I also used 10/24 rivnuts to hold in the instrument cluster for ease of removal as well. Still lots of wiring issues to sort out and where to put things. But that is half the fun. So far so good.

IMG_0851.JPGIMG_0853.JPGIMG_0854.JPGIMG_0855.JPGIMG_0856.JPGIMG_0857.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    With the holidays it has been hard to get time to work on the K818S. Today I did wire up the main disconnect, seat heater circuits, cell phone charging outlet and extended the connectors to reflash the ECU to where I have an access port to the front fuse box. I also shorten the shifter 3". It was way too tall and got in the way of the steering wheel. This will look and work better IMO. The FFR wheel and adapter look and work great. The adapter Mr. K. got unfortunately would not work. I had to get the FFR one. I am still modifying console for a better fit. I had to mount the WRX e-Brake handle. I could not use the Lokar unit because of the anaconda wire harness takes up too much room in the center tunnel. Refund for that Mr. K.. I will make note of it. Mocking everything up so I can finalized how everything will fit before carpet and covers, etc.

IMG_0860.JPGIMG_0861.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tnx a lot Wallace, it does help. I know I will need a few alignments at first during the build to test fit things, align things while "things" are not fully in place permanently. I can't bring the car anywhere for alignment cuz it won't be registered yet and cannot without an alignment. Goes in circle.

If you were to do it again, would you still buy it considering value/price ratio? Or would you seriously check on something else?
    Yes I would buy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you make or modify that center console on this car? The area that goes up to the dash looks different. I haven't seen the new aluminum center only the old ugly fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Yes I would buy it.
    I hope so, cuz I just ordered one with partly free shipping early this morning!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Did you make or modify that center console on this car? The area that goes up to the dash looks different. I haven't seen the new aluminum center only the old ugly fiberglass.
    The kits now come with a aluminum center console. Looks a lot like the custom one I built in the orange 818 I built. I had to mod it to fit the shifter and dash to match my needs. Much better than the fiberglass one IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Wallace, how did you go about shortening the shifter. We started by trying to take apart the shifter but it seems like that might be a bad idea.
    Thanks
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by late apex View Post
    Hi Wallace, how did you go about shortening the shifter. We started by trying to take apart the shifter but it seems like that might be a bad idea.
    Thanks
    Jim
    I just cut it off and rethreaded it with a metric die. I had to shape it a little with a grinder first but it came out nice IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    well some bad news. The parts that were supposed to be on the way never got shipped. Hopefully on the way soon. The steel wheels and tires I scored on Craigslist did not fit over the front brake calipers. I had to remove the calipers to be able to align the car. Wheels and tires are supposed to be on the way as well from Mr. K. I noticed some scratches in the dash. I thought they were leftover glue from the duct tape from FFR. I ended up painting the dash with Eastwood wrinkle paint. I really like how it came out. I am having difficulties getting a eprom read from the ECU. Tactrix is trying to help me. ECU is going into test mode fine and my OBD2 scanner reads codes and engine data fine. Engine runs good on lift. I just want to get rid of EVAP codes. While parts delays are very frustrating, I will start mounting the body and work on exhaust this week to stay busy.

IMG_0864.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your using romraider correct ( the download off the tantrix site ) so the cable powers up and you can scan codes etc. you did jump the white connector with your jumper and your software is all downloaded completely, so it should work in theory. Does the log screen come up and it just doesn't read the cars vitals.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast