BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: K818S Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That console goes together so much better than the fiberglass **** that early builders received!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    For those in OBD states the OEM harness is the only option (to the best of my knowledge).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    That console goes together so much better than the fiberglass **** that early builders received!
    Yeah we should all get those pieces in the mail !!
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    I asked... to no avail...
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hum, about that console, which I have, I wonder how the K-Tuned shifter would fit. The console covers it too much. I'll find something.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Hum, about that console, which I have, I wonder how the K-Tuned shifter would fit. The console covers it too much. I'll find something.
    That and I don't think it would work to well for those of us that mounted the shifter inside the tunnel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    That and I don't think it would work to well for those of us that mounted the shifter inside the tunnel.
    That's what I was planning on doing. But I feel like this new tunnel setup could still work though - first time I've seen it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    That's what I was planning on doing. But I feel like this new tunnel setup could still work though - first time I've seen it.
    I think it will still work, the shifter will you be very recessed. Although, the shifter is soooo tall it may still look fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace, your shifter, is it bolted right on the tunnel frame or a couple of inches over the tunnel frame?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Wallace, your shifter, is it bolted right on the tunnel frame or a couple of inches over the tunnel frame?
    It is done just as it shows in the manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mostly worked on giving the wire harness a diet. 3 boxes of stuff came in this afternoon. Still missing some key stuff, but Mr. K is on the job! Here is some photos.
    IMG_0584.JPGIMG_0585.JPGIMG_0586.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    With the missing FFR stuff here I was able to finish the front and rear suspension. I also coated the aluminum with my customers coating and installed the front and interior alum. I coated the front side near the battery with a light coat of truck liner. The rest will get covered with carpet down the road. Once I get a few more missing donor parts I can take it up a notch. LOL. (Seinfeld ref.)

IMG_0587.JPGIMG_0588.JPGIMG_0589.JPGIMG_0590.JPGIMG_0591.JPGIMG_0592.JPGIMG_0593.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

Kicking butt! (again)... I know you can appreciate this (sorry 'bout the thread hijack)... I really need to get home, order my kit, and start building!! Zach has "designs" on my Camaro!!

See you in the fall.

TC
    zach gets permit.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tango68ss View Post
    Tom,

Kicking butt! (again)... I know you can appreciate this (sorry 'bout the thread hijack)... I really need to get home, order my kit, and start building!! Zach has "designs" on my Camaro!!

See you in the fall.

TC
    zach gets permit.jpg
    Ah! the license! Look out TC your past may come to haunt you. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a good work day today. I installed the Fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, pedals, steering column, gas pedal, brake master cylinder, seat belts and started on the brake lines. Hope to work on brake lines on Tuesday and send out windshield frame for paint.

IMG_0594.JPGIMG_0595.JPGIMG_0596.JPGIMG_0597.JPGIMG_0598.JPGIMG_0599.JPGIMG_0600.JPGIMG_0601.JPGIMG_0602.JPGIMG_0603.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    This morning I ran all the brake lines. Just have to wait on some boxes to come to keep going. I won't post till Friday. Personal stuff to take care of next few days.

IMG_0604.JPGIMG_0605.JPGIMG_0606.JPGIMG_0607.JPGIMG_0608.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked 4 hours on the wiring harness today. The OEM harness is a challenge for sure. I got all the engine and trans hooked up. The cluster and brake and clutch switches. Still a lot to get tidied up. Temp in my shop got to 98 degrees with my fan running. I am taking the weekend off for the most part. Too hot for me to think straight. Still waiting on donor stuff. Hopefully here soon.

IMG_0609.JPGIMG_0610.JPGIMG_0611.JPGIMG_0612.JPGIMG_0613.JPGIMG_0614.JPGIMG_0615.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a few hours to kill today. I was able to extend all the wires I needed to the Headlights, tail lights, horn, rad fans, wipers. and trans switches. I also mounted the rear fuse box, ECU and FI relays. Started to neat up the wires some. I will cover everything once I get everything running and working. I found a new turbo Blanket that would not work on my orange 818S. It fits the stock turbo perfect. ( That one is on the house MR. K.) LOL.

IMG_0616.JPGIMG_0617.JPGIMG_0618.JPGIMG_0619.JPGIMG_0620.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 08-24-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking awesome. How does the two builds compare time wise? What improvements have been made that you mentioned in your earlier post?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    Looking awesome. How does the two builds compare time wise? What improvements have been made that you mentioned in your earlier post?
    The wiring on this one is way more difficult. Everything else is easier to some extent. I know where everything goes so it is easier. Some of the brackets on the frame are in much better places and the various bushings are sized correctly VS the earlier chassis#. The center console is much better as well as the 50 some aluminum parts are better shaped as well so far. The front upper control arms are much better as well. Also the manual has been updated.

Today I put in the battery and hooked up a 4 amp fuse inline on the positive cable. I put the key to the on position and no blown fuse or smoke. LOL. In fact all the turn signals, stop lights and parking lights all work perfect. I just checked them with a test light so far. Also the fuel level gauge works perfect. The headlights are weird in that they seem to control the ground for Hi and Lo beams. I need to do some further book work to get them working proper. . But is was nice to see some of the stuff work the first time as well as no shorts. When I get the air flow meter and radiator I can try to start the engine. I filled the engine with fresh 5W-30 Castrol and put on a new O/F as well. Also filled the trans with fresh 75W-90 gear lube. The build is coming along nice. Maybe do a go-cart run in 7 -10 days or so. I'll do a you tube on that for sure.
    Last edited by wallace18; 08-25-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention in an earlier post that I shortened the shift post coming out of the back of the trans. I cut it right behind the original hole. This will allow for no interference with the body on shifting and such. Very easy to do and took only about 15 minutes with a cutoff wheel and drill.

IMG_0578.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same thing seemed like a no-brainer

Post Thanks / Like
    I flipped shift arm around and moved it 1 1/4 forward, I did have to redrill the bracket and bend the bracket too for smooth operation.

I was just at FFR and their red car rubs the mesh enough that it has smeared the aluminum from the inside. I think there would be enough clearance if you just cut 1/4 off the bracket
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    The headlights are weird in that they seem to control the ground for Hi and Lo beams. I need to do some further book work to get them working proper.
    The headlight switches run the ground side via relays (one circuit for hi and one for low), but the power is one relay/fuse for left (hi and low) and one for right(hi and low).

Post Thanks / Like
    After several hours of wire diagrams and hair pulling I had success today with getting all the lights to work properly, the wiper motor, B/U lights, horn and most every thing else. Waiting for donor stuff to show up then I will try to start engine. The windshield frame came back from painter today. Nice work! I do not recommend to install the windshield before you mount the frame. Sometimes you have to do some heavy duty pulling and pushing to get frame right for hood and doors IMO. I leave that till you are almost done. Here is some photos of harness so far. It is almost manageable now. LOL.

IMG_0621.JPGIMG_0622.JPGIMG_0623.JPGIMG_0625.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Which is heavier, the aftermarket harness or the OEM dieted harness? Looks like sooooo much less wires then the stock harness. What do you guess you removed weight wise from the OEM harness?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    Which is heavier, the aftermarket harness or the OEM dieted harness? Looks like sooooo much less wires then the stock harness. What do you guess you removed weight wise from the OEM harness?
    The VCP harness is a fraction of the OEM harness in weight even after the diet. I have taken out 8lbs of wire and useless relays. I still have to cover the harness better for protection. I am waiting till every thing works correct to tidy up stuff. It does look a lot better now though IMO. Had to buy a pack of large wire ties to corral the anaconda OEM harness. LOL.

IMG_0624.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Had to buy a pack of large wire ties to corral the anaconda OEM harness. LOL.
    But you tamed that snake!

jake-the-snake.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a box of stuff late yesterday. I was able to mount the radiator. I had to make custom mounts since no donor ones were saved. I also put on all 4 rotors but only had the LF caliper to install. I also mounted the taillights in the rear bumper.

IMG_0626.JPGIMG_0627.JPGIMG_0628.JPGIMG_0629.JPGIMG_0630.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Last 2 days got some stuff done. I mounted the headlights and buckets in the front bumper. Also finished up all coolant lines and filled with coolant. I installed the clutch master and hard lines and bled system. Unfortunately it looks like clutch is bad. The arm to the P/P went in when clutch was depressed but never came back. Our local U- pull it junk yard had a 50% off sale all this weekend. I got these high tech wheels and tires to roll the chassis off my lift while I wait on parts. LOL.

IMG_0641.JPGIMG_0642.JPGIMG_0643.JPGIMG_0644.JPGIMG_0645.JPGIMG_0646.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Last 2 days got some stuff done. I mounted the headlights and buckets in the front bumper. Also finished up all coolant lines and filled with coolant. I installed the clutch master and hard lines and bled system. Unfortunately it looks like clutch is bad. The arm to the P/P went in when clutch was depressed but never came back. Our local U- pull it junk yard had a 50% off sale all this weekend. I got these high tech wheels and tires to roll the chassis off my lift while I wait on parts. LOL.
    IMG_0641.JPGIMG_0642.JPGIMG_0643.JPGIMG_0644.JPGIMG_0645.JPGIMG_0646.JPG

Clutch seemed to be working on donor, I drove it for a short run and so did customer K

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it may have drove fine then but, the T/O bearing pulled through the P/P just bleeding the line. It was good to happen now the disc was worn down to the rivets. Lucky the flywheel is good. It took 45 minutes to pull the trans. Just unhook the shocks, 2 arms and drive shafts. It comes right out the back easy. Hopefully I'll get a good clutch setup to install soon.

IMG_0648.JPGIMG_0650.JPGIMG_0649.JPGIMG_0647.JPGIMG_0651.JPGIMG_0652.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    While I wait for parts I worked on the fiberglass stuff today. I did cutouts and installed mesh.

IMG_0653.JPGIMG_0659.JPGIMG_0660.JPGIMG_0661.JPGIMG_0663.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry if I missed this Tom but how is the quality of the body now that we're in the 100s-200s in production numbers being built?

Post Thanks / Like
    this is an earlier body from last Fall...
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Sorry if I missed this Tom but how is the quality of the body now that we're in the 100s-200s in production numbers being built?
    It is an early one Chassis #64. Body is same as mine. I do not have the same feelings as some about the body. For a 10K kit I think it is fine. Is it a no paint? No not even close. But compared to the 33 and coupe the panels are by far better IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess I am like some of you who got the latest manual update PDF. It seems the shifter has moved forward from what the manual says. I had already mounted this one and fuse panel so I was going to ignore the update. God whispered to me to check it out so I did. I laid a moving blanket down and sat in the chassis. Sure enough the shifter was too far back. On my car I first installed the seat then adjusted the wheel, pedals and shifter to the seat. Since mine was a custom K-tuned shifter from VCP I could mount it anywhere I wanted also my wiring harness did not run through the tunnel. Well now I had to move everything and it seems better now. I am not happy with how high the steering wheel is but I can adjust that later when the seats come in. All that being said here is how it ended up. The fuse panel is now sideways and I will make a access door for it.

IMG_0664.JPGIMG_0665.JPGIMG_0666.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well it may have drove fine then but, the T/O bearing pulled through the P/P just bleeding the line. It was good to happen now the disc was worn down to the rivets. Lucky the flywheel is good. It took 45 minutes to pull the trans. Just unhook the shocks, 2 arms and drive shafts. It comes right out the back easy. Hopefully I'll get a good clutch setup to install soon.

IMG_0648.JPGIMG_0650.JPGIMG_0649.JPGIMG_0647.JPGIMG_0651.JPGIMG_0652.JPG
    Wow that's shot, well it's always good to visually check
    I personal love ACT clutches and think it is all a Subaru should use

Post Thanks / Like
    I already moved the stock shifter forward, I wonder how it will line up with the aluminum console I just picked up. My fuse panel will have an access panel as well.

Have you considered how high the shifter is vs the steering wheel?
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    I already moved the stock shifter forward, I wonder how it will line up with the aluminum console I just picked up. My fuse panel will have an access panel as well.

Have you considered how high the shifter is vs the steering wheel?
    It is a little close on the 1-2 shift but seems Ok every where else. The alum console can always be modified to fit.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast