Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body Buck "Lite"

Post Thanks / Like

Body Buck "Lite"

Not sure if this is going to help anyone...but here it goes

Since I planned to hang my mk4 body from the ceiling of my garage, I started looking at how best to do that. I reviewed the forums for various ways of hanging it but most involved some variation of the heavy, wooden body buck that most use on the floor. For a number of reasons, I wanted to minimize the weight hanging from my crappy, Centex OSB joists….so I embarked on a process of building a lighter body buck that I could use with my hoist system. I looked at hanging the body upside down but that was problematic for a number of reasons. It could have worked but I decided I would rather have it upright and supported from below. I also built a platform to sit the body on but that turned out to be heavier than I wanted. Ultimately, I decided to mimic the chassis with a the minimum amount of wood. Here is where I landed:

• I took two 13ft 2x4’s and attached them inside the body through the front and rear turn signal light holes. I padded the end of each 2x4 and used ¼ inch lag bolts to attach.
    • I used 4 inch wood screws to add in three cross supports between the long 2x4s.
    • Off those long 2x4’s, I built three supports: dashboard, trunk bar, and front fenders. These points coincide to where most of the weight is supported when the body is on the chassis. Instead of using large, heavy pieces of plywood or OSB, I used small pieces that fit those areas perfectly (except the dashboard which is almost the width of the body.
    • For the front and trunk supports, I used the regular body buck plans with Stan’s modified plans to get the right shapes/angles.
    • I mounted eye hooks into the cross supports...this is where the hoist straps attach.

The end result is a very rigid and secure “internal” buck that supports the body just like the chassis. All in, it weighs 40 lbs….so together with the 93 lb body, I’m hoisting 133 pounds to the ceiling. Not too bad.

1-Body Buck 4.JPG2-Body Buck 2.JPG3-Body Buck 1.JPG4-Body Buck 3.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!

3-Body Buck 1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it. I'm thinking that would also make painting easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the plans or dimensions for this? I'm trying to do the same. Thnx

Post Thanks / Like
    Well with this much thought and ingenuity in the body buck I cant wait to see what you come up with for your build. Nice work!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's slick! I'm with Scott, looking forward to this build!
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like

Hanging the body

This is one of the best things I did for my build to make things easier. Hung there for nearly 5 years. Deceiving but the lowest spot is approx. 6'-6" from the floor. Second best thing was the chassis dolly.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    The original post with the body buck pictures is from 2014. The OP hasn't been on the forum for 1-1/2 years or so.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    This is one of the best things I did for my build to make things easier. Hung there for nearly 5 years. Deceiving but the lowest spot is approx. 6'-6" from the floor. Second best thing was the chassis dolly.

Yes, very nice chassis dolly. Thanks. It's off to it's 3rd roadster build now.

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    Yes, very nice chassis dolly. Thanks. It's off to it's 3rd roadster build now.

Bob
    Yep, Bob generously passed the chassis dolly to me. It’s ready for its next build now as my build is on its wheels now. I’ll be back in the Austin area after Thanksgiving if anyone needs it.

Jeff
    LS1, TKO600, IRS, no scoop, undercar exhaust. Delivered June 14, 2017, First start December 31, 2017, Registered and Titled Sept 12, 2019.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The original post with the body buck pictures is from 2014. The OP hasn't been on the forum for 1-1/2 years or so.
    He passed the buck to me in 2016. I had to modify it a bit for my garage, but is has been hanging from my ceiling ever since.

His car turned out wonderfully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. Glad to see the dolly is still out there. Hope it finds a new home. How cool is our community?

Quote Originally Posted by jcrumpley View Post
    Yep, Bob generously passed the chassis dolly to me. It’s ready for its next build now as my build is on its wheels now. I’ll be back in the Austin area after Thanksgiving if anyone needs it.

Jeff