FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1,000 Miles in a Factory Five, Seattle to Monterey!

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1,000 Miles in a Factory Five, Seattle to Monterey!

“All I can say is, if you’ve never experienced motoring like this, you have NO IDEA what you’re missing.” – Arthur St. Antoine, “Epic Drives”

When Arthur St. Antoine called me up and asked me if we had any fast cars for him to drive, I smiled and reached for the keys to the Mk4 Roadster. Then he told me he needed to take the car from Seattle all the way down to Monterey, CA; a trip of about 1,000 miles! I smiled even bigger because there is no better way to get to know how great a Factory Five is than to drive it on a long trip.

The newest episode of “Epic Drives” follows Arthur and my Factory Five 5.0L Coyote-powered Mk4 Roadster along a fantasy route through some of the most beautiful country on the planet. Arthur hits rain, snow, and perfect sunny California weather on this epic drive. Check it out!

The section of Arthur driving full tilt through the back roads of Napa is AWESOME! Go to 15 minutes and 30 seconds into the show.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    “All I can say is, if you’ve never experienced motoring like this, you have NO IDEA what you’re missing.” – Arthur St. Antoine, “Epic Drives”

When Arthur St. Antoine called me up and asked me if we had any fast cars for him to drive, I smiled and reached for the keys to the Mk4 Roadster. Then he told me he needed to take the car from Seattle all the way down to Monterey, CA; a trip of about 1,000 miles! I smiled even bigger because there is no better way to get to know how great a Factory Five is than to drive it on a long trip.

The newest episode of “Epic Drives” follows Arthur and my Factory Five 5.0L Coyote-powered Mk4 Roadster along a fantasy route through some of the most beautiful country on the planet. Arthur hits rain, snow, and perfect sunny California weather on this epic drive. Check it out!

The section of Arthur driving full tilt through the back roads of Napa is AWESOME! Go to 15 minutes and 30 seconds into the show.
    Great video - I would like to make the same trip some day.

Can you share the story behind the road rash visible on front passenger side bumper. Was there any other damage?.

Thx
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Video makes one want to build a MK4 for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw this post on FB by Motor Trend:

https://www.facebook.com/motortrendm...type=1&theater
    Mk 3.1 #7098, carb'd '93 Mustang 5.0/T-5, 3.55 3-link rear, Konis, Goodyear F1's, Classic Instruments, custom: dash, foot-boxes, seat mounts, battery box, Miata sway bar set-up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Just want to say this is the best video Factory 5 has ever made. Its not so much that it shows off the car but the fact that is shows what we do WITH these cars. The snow and rain scene was one that hit the home run for me. Its hard to explain. I think back over the years, Ralph Button and Cobra Earl driving cross country. Wade Chamberlin getting his nickname "Rainman" because at one point, every time he went for a ride he got into a down pour. And to all the others that beat the crap out of these cars. You can't say these cars are practical for anything other then one of the biggest RUSHES you will ever have. How many of us has gotten up at 4am in the morning and put on insulated coveralls, put on a full face helmet , snow ski gloves and left out in 20 degree weather to drive 150 miles... yea... "Its a Factory 5 thing" most wouldn't understand.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    Great video. Living here in California, I have driven my roadster along the coast and enjoyed the beautiful views many times. The best view is when you have a string of seven roadsters taking in the views for about 100 miles!
    Doug